Author Topic: Gas Tank Strap, Correct finish  (Read 2503 times)

Offline multiAAR

Gas Tank Strap, Correct finish
« on: October 02, 2011 - 12:34:26 PM »
I have a 70 AAR that was parked in 1978, the car is very complete and I'd like to keep it as original as possible. I have searched and seem to be getting conflicting information about gas tank straps. Best I can tell the options would be Tin/Lead coating or hot dipped galvanized. I was leaning toward Tin/Lead but a recent expert I spoke with suggested it is hot dipped.

I'm hoping to get some good feedback from judges out there if they know without doubt what the finish should be?
Could it have been either?
Is it something else?
Is this really anything judges look at?

Appreciate the help!

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Re: Gas Tank Strap, Correct finish
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011 - 01:24:16 PM »
Check out this website........http://www.iccahome.org/

They have a lot of great shots of unrestored cars.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011 - 01:58:50 PM »
My straps may have been aftermarket since work was done on the gas tank before i purchased the car but the straps were just stainless. Not painted. I painted mine to prevent rust but it is not correct.

Offline multiAAR

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011 - 02:07:01 PM »
Thanks Ron, I have seen that link and perused the pages, but as an example of confusion thats created, under the ICCA References, Plating, they show a picture of what appears to be a 'Cuda fuel filler neck tin plated. I have my original and I would have bet it to be hot dip galvanized (based on the spangle, or leafy look to the plating). Like many things from the manufacturer, were there more than 1 coating used based on supplier?

Maybe I should expand my question to Tank, Straps, Filler Neck and cap

Offline multiAAR

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011 - 02:31:34 PM »
My straps may have been aftermarket since work was done on the gas tank before i purchased the car but the straps were just stainless. Not painted. I painted mine to prevent rust but it is not correct.

Thanks for looking and the response, mine are original and definitely not stainless from Ma Mopar, while they cleaned up nicely with blasting, they were in such bad shape I wasn't able to make out what the original coating was.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011 - 03:12:06 PM »
Sorry, I worded that wrong they were not stainless steel just bare metal.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011 - 03:27:13 PM »
I`m pretty sure the filler necks were lead dipped to prevent sparks from static electricity.  I`m 100% sure mine was.
whatever the did to the straps, didnt help a lot.... mine were natural finish LOL
*** Bart ***

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011 - 12:05:26 PM »
The filler tube is lead plated.  There are a few people out there that can re lead plate a filler tube for your restoration.
The gas tank straps are galvanized I'm pretty sure.  I recently had to change out the gas tank on my '71 Challenger, and the tank and straps were the originals.  The tank was pretty mint on the outside but had rusted internally (always store your cars with a full tank!!)  With some effort in the parts washer, we were able to clean the straps off so they looked like new.  Here is a picture of of one of them.

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011 - 12:21:11 PM »
Here is the original gas tank, though I don't know if you can tell much from the picture.  The tank below it is an NOS one I have stashed for my T/A project.

Offline multiAAR

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011 - 08:45:59 PM »
The filler tube is lead plated.  There are a few people out there that can re lead plate a filler tube for your restoration.
The gas tank straps are galvanized I'm pretty sure.  I recently had to change out the gas tank on my '71 Challenger, and the tank and straps were the originals.  The tank was pretty mint on the outside but had rusted internally (always store your cars with a full tank!!)  With some effort in the parts washer, we were able to clean the straps off so they looked like new.  Here is a picture of of one of them.

Filler tube is straight lead or tin lead? Mine was bone stock when it came out and not in to bad of shape (see attachment) Had I thought more about this before I stripped it in the blaster I wouldn't be in this spot. I'll not let this happen again.  :banghead:

Any recommendations on someone who performs correct plating, in the Phoenix area would be perfect.

When you say galvanized on the straps, I assume you mean hot dip galvanized and not electroplated zinc, just want to be sure

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011 - 12:11:32 AM »
Here is a thread on someone that people on another forum were raving about for restoring filler necks:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=A12&Number=6687082&Searchpage=1
As to your other question, I'm sorry, I'm not an expert on these types of plating or coatings, so I am not going to be able to help you with that beyond showing pictures of the clean original straps on my '71.

Offline multiAAR

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011 - 08:45:39 AM »
Thanks for the help and the honesty, I'll try calling him today.

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011 - 04:06:31 PM »
I retrieved my T/A filler tube from the restoration shop recently and plan to get it relead coated myself from that guy in MO.
I may eventually end up replacing the gas tank straps off my '71 with SS and using the originals on the T/A.  Lots of moral quandary will be involved in making the decision to take parts off a beautiful R/T to use on another car though!

Offline multiAAR

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011 - 08:57:58 AM »
I called last night and spoke with Al, coating was first reported as lead, when queried a bit further he said it's lead with some other things, like tin. Price from the moparts board was $40 in june 2011, last night the price has increased to $70 plus shipping.

I'm unsure if I'll go this way or just take my filler neck and vent tubes to a local plater for Tin/Lead and pay the lot min charge of $130. Truth is the finish has to look correct and while I can scrutinize a local plater prior to using, I cant do the same if I ship my piece across country.

I'll post back with what I decide to do and results, maybe I can save a headache or two for future readers.

in the event anyones interested in Al's services;     http://www.n96airgrabber.com/