Calendar Image Poll - It's all Done

Author Topic: Calendar Image Poll - It's all Done  (Read 18694 times)

Offline RB2929

Re: Calendar Image Poll
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2011 - 07:38:36 PM »
Whoever said we need more than twelve months is absolutely correct.  Thirty-one beautiful Cuda/Challys to choose from; not any easy task.  Wish I was registered from Chicago instead of OKC so I can vote multiple times.  That number 7 pic survived the three rounds to make it into the top twelve.  I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for cobblestone.   Hope that this immaculate 70 Cuda, built with overseas delivery of parts, will make the calendar. :cheers:

All the contenders look great; ALL 31 of you need to be proud of your cars!  :ylsuper: :drool: :bananasmi

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2011 - 10:39:45 AM »
Judy has a poll open to see how many calendar orders we can count on, so if you haven't checked that out yet, please do so and log your info there. Once she has a notion of how many calendars she'll print she'll be able to work up some cost figures.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2011 - 02:44:28 PM »
2 Questions:

1. The poll results display in two columns, not necessarily tied to the Entry #?  Does it do this just for me or are others seeing this?

2. Last I looked, 32 people had voted and there were only 340 total votes.  Where's the other 44?  Are some voters only casting 1 or 2 votes?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2011 - 02:49:15 PM »
My results give me Image #, a bar graph representing the votes for that image as a fraction of all votes cast (which is virtually useless for this kind of poll which has so many options), and then data consisting of the hard number of votes cast for that image and the expression of that number as a percentage of the total.

As for the missing votes, I have had people tell me in years past that they didn't vote their full ballot. I have trouble understanding why one wouldn't, especially with all the great shots that are here, but that's one possibility. I know one person said something like "I just go through and vote for all the 19XX *insert brand or model here*, so that could be it.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2011 - 04:54:16 PM »
I would just like to thank the two members for their votes! 

Rest assured I'll brush up on my photo skills in the coming year to hopefully make a better presentation for 2013!

Beautiful cars.
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2011 - 05:04:52 PM »

Rest assured I'll brush up on my photo skills in the coming year to hopefully make a better presentation for 2013!

Beautiful cars.

I adjusted it some, tried to put some color back into the pix...seems like the sun was in front of you instead of behind you...great car, great location, lighting wasn't the best

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2011 - 06:49:14 PM »

Beautiful cars.

Same here!  I took my photo on the fly on the way back from Carlisle this year.  Car was loaded down with luggage and parts.  Didn't think it was that bad though.LOL

Also with all the pics coming on different pages it made it difficult to just go through and pick images, when I went to the second page of pics all the choices I had made on the first page disappeared.FWIW

Next year!

Tom

Maybe the other photo I didn't submit was better?  Oh well, I kind of liked the lower angle shot better.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011 - 06:51:13 PM by 72challorange »
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2011 - 08:35:07 PM »
I like that image above, Tom, but that's just personal preference. I like how it accentuates the hood and I think it shows off the body line better.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2011 - 08:59:31 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to get a decent camera and have a go at it next year too.

Tom :crazy:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2011 - 09:55:43 PM »
Feel to to ask me or post a thread about cameras or getting good pictures; there's several others besides me who can give you good info. I had a "Getting good pics" thread going this year, but it just never generated a lot of interest.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2011 - 10:19:37 PM »
...I like the 2nd image better too...beautiful car

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2011 - 10:25:30 PM »
Great pics and I agree it's a good round of candidates to choose from.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2011 - 10:56:18 AM »
I adjusted it some, tried to put some color back into the pix...seems like the sun was in front of you instead of behind you...great car, great location, lighting wasn't the best
Thanks, I'm going to get a decent camera and have a go at it next year too.

Since we're talking about making good images here, and since we might get a bigger audience than in the "How to make good pics" thread  :bigsmile: , I'll offer the following. I think that earlier thread may have started off with details when it needed basics.

At the foundation level, I think most successful image have three elements that go into creating them.

1) Technical knowledge - things like "How does aperture work and how does it affect the image?" or "How does the angle of light change the what the subject looks?" This may sound imposing, but anybody who can rebuild an engine can learn this stuff easily.

2) Compositional skill - some people are born with this, but even if you didn't get it from genetics anybody can learn it. However, it takes more practice to get this. This is basically about how to "pose" your subject against the other elements of the shot, and how to determine what to leave out of the frame. Unlike the technical knowledge aspect of photography, composition has far fewer rules and far more guidelines.

3) Luck - 1 and 2 give you what you need to make good shoots, but in my experience, luck, both good and bad, plays a factor. You might have the sun breaking through clouds at the exact moment you're ready to capture your shot. On the other hand, you might have a hazy, indistinct clouds when the weather called for blue skies. You can make a good image with unlucky conditions, and you can take great conditions and turn them into a bad image. The more skills and knowledge you have, however, the more likely it is that you can make something worthwhile in whatever conditions you encounter.

As a final note, equipment is nice, but it's the skill and knowledge that make the image. I've shot award-winning photos with what I call PHD cameras (for "push here, dummy"). I know people who have made award-winning shots with cell phone cameras.

Jump in with comments and questions.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2011 - 11:16:27 AM »
That is an incredibly good looking car. That color in particular absolutely POPS under the right light conditions. Unfortunately the car was backlit. The reworked picture is much better, but that would have been a great picture had the sun been behind the camera.

Most of us use digital cameras with few manual settings, so I'm guessing most of the pictures were shot on full auto, but you can still get a picture almost as good as a pro camera, as long as you take advantage of the conditions, and compose it right. Of course it helps to scout out and find, or be blessed to live near great backgrounds.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011 - 11:28:46 AM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline cudaracer48

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2011 - 12:54:37 AM »
 Attached is a photo I would offer up for consideration for next year's calendar. It's of my heap, '71 Cuda, at the '09 Pikes Peak Hill Climb. Its the first day of practice which takes place from the Devil's Playground to the summit. Note my death grip on the steering wheel, the rooster tails coming off the back tires and the frost on the roof. The photo was taken about 6 am. Thanks, Jess Neal.