Author Topic: Thermostat to fan  (Read 661 times)

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

• Coupe Custom Accessories
Thermostat to fan
« on: October 02, 2011 - 10:34:21 PM »
Ok some time back I was stating I was having problems with my 318 over heating on the freeway. After a 2-3 mile drive on surface streets.  I have noticed it only gets hot on the freeway. So someone came up with the idea that the lower radiator hose might be sucking shut. So I am going to replace my hoses (which are quite old) and replace the thermostat. I'm currently running a 192 on - 182 off vintage air thermo - switch for the fan. I mounted the switch into the top tank of the radiator. Which I am sure is some mistake but seems to be working. My question is with the switch I have working the HHR fan what thermostat temp. would be best. I have gotten a few different stories. Commonly I get a straight answer here. So hit me. I think I am running a 185 or 190 right now.

Some have said it needs to be closer to on temp some have said it needs to open before the fan comes on. Right now I am all turned around. Thanks!!  :worshippy

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Thermostat to fan
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011 - 11:23:35 PM »
heating on the freeway is nothing to do with the fan , if it will cool in traffic the system is generally good , the fans running on the freeway could actually be blocking air flow or you have timing issues or the carb is lean or you have the vacuum advance connected to manifold instead of ported vacuum . the lower rad hose can be a problem also , you can bend up a wire coat hanger to go inside the hose  keep the hose from collapsing , I would usea 180 * T stat & get a good quality Stant one

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011 - 08:40:47 AM »
I will start going threw the list and see if any of the other points may be an issue. Thank you for the info.  :iagree:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011 - 08:02:16 PM »
I too have the HHR fan and the switch is mounted also to the tank just below the upper rad hose. I haven't had any issues on the hwy before. I'm quite happy with mine so far ( 2 summers now)  Maybe you need a bigger rad?   :dunno:  Is yours aluminum?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011 - 09:21:59 PM »
Unless the rads clogged it should be fine, I run the original 383  22" with the help of a pusher (thermo controlled).  Granted your in a warmer climate but if anything I heat up in slow traffic not on the highway.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline fantum

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011 - 02:23:32 AM »
Question:  Which way is the fan blowing?  If it is blowing the wrong way it will be fighting the airflow more at highway speeds than in traffic which will give you these symptoms.

Don't ask me how I know. :misbehaving:
Mike

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011 - 03:00:51 PM »
Question:  Which way is the fan blowing?  If it is blowing the wrong way it will be fighting the airflow more at highway speeds than in traffic which will give you these symptoms.

Don't ask me how I know. :misbehaving:

The fan is a puller (Mounted inside between the radiator and the engine.) and it blows like a hurricane that is why i was surprised it over headed. I was noticing the hoses where old and when I grabbed the lower hose it was super easy to squeeze it shut. Which leads me to believe this is the issue. 

The radiator is a stock replacement and is now about 4-5 years old. The engine for the most part is stock. So I don't think the issue is there. Also with a stock mechanical fan the engine never had any over heating issues. I only replaced it to save some horse power and the old fan shroud was starting to go.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011 - 03:05:12 PM by TRIPLE-GREEN »