Author Topic: How to stay motivated?! (Pics on page 2!)  (Read 4091 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: How to stay motivated?!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011 - 07:29:28 PM »
Don`t worry about the little trim pcs,carpet,new weatherstrips etc. right now.Get some tires ( there are always cheap used sets around ) and anything esle it needs to at least take it for a spin.Nothing is better motivation than actually driving it,even if it`s only around the block for now.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011 - 08:57:40 PM »
You could do like i did............ :grinyes:.......as soon as it would move under its own power, i put a milk create where the drive seat should be, no windshield, weather strip, hood, lights, or interior and drove around the block.   :bananasmi  Man did it feel good, and i got all the motivation i needed to keep on working to get it done.

Post up any othe items you need, and I will look through my stash to see if I have anything for you.

And, classic cars are an illness you will have the rest of your life.  so get use to the ups and downs of owning one.  :smilielol:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline azievinger

• one Happy Island
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011 - 10:46:16 PM »
Make it drive-able is the way to stay motivated, I Love classic cars, I have been busy for 5 years on and Gran Torino and just like you i got demotivated so many time's and don't want to count to no of guys who think who can fix cars but only in there mind. And the car is still not running.

I'm 40 with all finances in place I managed to convince my wife to let me buy my 1972 challenger, made my calculations and had some money extra to give it an paint job and have it road worthy. 10 days for my Challenger to arrive I got into an accident with my daily driver. All the extra money I thought I had went into fixing the daily driver.
Barely managed to get it the challenger driving. was the laugh of the family. He has 2 classic cars in bad shape. I drove it about 1 year like that, leaking radiator, busted exhaust pipe more holes than tubing, leaking carburetor, even used it as an daily driver to help out the parents temporarily with my car. Every time it rained, and we had an rainy rain season, the car would leak into the passenger inside the cabin. More laughs from the family.
It took my one year to save the money and I don't have the skills to fix it up my self, you have the gift, I wish I had.
I finally managed to get to an point that everybody is looking at you when you drive by, and like the say it is an illness you will carry it for the rest of you're life.
So now I'm saving again to either overhaul the challengers engine of to give an try again on the Gran Torino. Hope this helps. Never give up.

Offline SMS

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011 - 02:02:50 PM »

I have just started doing this on my car projects.
Make a big poster, dry erase, or black board and write down all the things you want to get done. It is really satisfying to check them off as well as it keeps focus on stuff.

Sounds like you are doing really well so far :cheers:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011 - 02:07:52 PM »
I have just started doing this on my car projects.
Make a big poster, dry erase, or black board and write down all the things you want to get done. It is really satisfying to check them off as well as it keeps focus on stuff.

I did that once. When I got to the 10th page I got depressed and stopped  :bigsmile:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011 - 03:35:03 PM »
Yeah the dry erase thing isn't a bad idea! The car really has come along way, its just when you work on it everyday, it doesnt seem like it has.  Its the little things that get to me. I need bolts for my bumper brackets.  I go to the parts store to get bolts, get home, they are just a hair bit too small.  Have to wait to the next day.  Meanwhile my bumper brackets, bumper, and valance panel are all laying on the floor looking up at me dying to go on the car.  Now, when you have so many pieces that need so many little things, it adds up!  I could put my trim on, but I'm waiting for clips.  Id put my headlights in, but I'm getting no power to my lights.  I'd put my trunk lid on, but I lost my trunk lid sliders....Dadgum it  :faint: Little tiny things that hold up the project.  But it will be SOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it when its done.  Just dreading this North Carolina high country winter that is about to come!
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011 - 05:40:59 PM »
heres some pics of what I started with

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011 - 05:46:58 PM »
hers some along the way pics and pics of where i stand now....did all the body work, priming, and painting myself!!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011 - 05:48:26 PM »
I'd say you're making good progress. Like others have said, get it running and you'll start feeling great about it.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Re: How to stay motivated?! (Pics on page 2!)
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011 - 05:50:52 PM »
it runs! It fires right up....just havent took it for a REAL drive yet

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011 - 05:59:12 PM »
 :popcorn:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011 - 11:57:52 PM »
Coming along laddie! Take some small solace from the fact that mine's scattered all over the garage floor. Like the lads say, get it on the road and finish it as you go. Oh, and yeah, DON'T spray today's paints, with their isocyanates, wearing a particle mask. Use/borrow a proper cartridge mask, because we'd like you to live long enough to finish that thing, OK? Have fun!  :thumbsup:

Offline Matt70

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011 - 03:53:30 AM »
 :popcorn:  Keep us updated on you progress, post a list of what you need I have some of those small parts you might be looking for.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011 - 06:32:20 AM »
There you go, see? Car looks GREAT! Not too bad for a first timer. Definately looks better than when you started...

Keep the pics comin as they tend to keep the thread alive.
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011 - 10:07:53 AM »
Coming along laddie! Take some small solace from the fact that mine's scattered all over the garage floor. Like the lads say, get it on the road and finish it as you go. Oh, and yeah, DON'T spray today's paints, with their isocyanates, wearing a particle mask. Use/borrow a proper cartridge mask, because we'd like you to live long enough to finish that thing, OK? Have fun!  :thumbsup:

I'll definitely do that the next time I paint one....I'd like to keep my lungs for a while  :lol2: