Author Topic: How to stay motivated?! (Pics on page 2!)  (Read 4096 times)

Offline NCtrueconservative

How to stay motivated?! (Pics on page 2!)
« on: October 04, 2011 - 09:07:57 PM »
Its been almost exactly 6 years since I bought my Challenger project car.  It was a 1973, with rallye package, had no engine or tranny.  I was 13 at the time, and worked out 1500 bucks to buy the car.  Little did I know what I was getting into.  In the stupidest deal I ever made in my life, I agreed to pay for all the body work if my dad would pay for the drivetrain.  Well here is what all has been done to it.
-72 340 bored .60 over rebuilt, Hooker headers
-torqueflite trans bought and rebuilt
-dual exhaust
-2 new fenders
-2 new quarter panels
-new trunk pan
-new trunk lid
-used hood
-new windshield
-used header panel
-new valence pan

I painted the car myself (rallye red with flat black hood), and it looks pretty good for first time painting a car!! It was to be a father-son project, and turned into a son project to be honest.  SIX years later, I still have not really driven the car on the road.  I have bought and bought for this car, and still seem so far away.  I would like to at least get it running and road worthy, and then I could put the finishing touches on it as I go.  What  I need to drive it at least is:
-new tires
-hood latch
-floor
-carpet
-rear decklid trim
-trim put back on
-passenger side window put back in the door
-any weatherstripping that needs to be replaced

It just gets me soooo down and out when I see the price on things like weatherstripping, and little trim pieces.  They are things that have to be bought, but that are hard to appreciate, especially when they are so dang expensive for such little things!! I'd give anything just to drive this car on sunny weekends.  Its not perfect, but its good enough for me.  Having done almost all the work myself, I've missed out on alot of things.  While my friends were off hanging out or something, I was working on the car.  After doing that time after time, and still not being able to drive the car with my friends and such, it gets depressing.  In the future, after I get it on the road, I would like to do the following:
-get Rallye wheels
-get a sure grip rearend, with different ratio gears
-put my fender scoops on and put my strobe stripes on
-new dash pad (or cover cap)
-new seat covers
-new air cleaner
-exhaust tips

How do I stay motivated guys?! Having to work on the car under the deck (no garage big enough!), and going to college at Appalachian State, I don't have much time to work on it except in between classes.  Six years, and still haven't drove the car.  All I have to show for all the work I've done, and all the time I've spent by myself wrenching, sanding, painting, and what have you, is just a good looking paper weight. Some times I just like to go down and start the car up and pretend I'm driving it.  And I wanted to upload some pics so yall could see how far I've come, but they are all too big.  It's been a long process, and been so much stress, and money out of a college kids wallet.  I just want it to pay off!!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011 - 05:49:54 PM by NCtrueconservative »
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: How to stay motivated?!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011 - 09:18:37 PM »
Well, I don't know if this will motivate you or drive you to the brink of suicide, but here goes.

I bought my car when I was 16. I'm now 50. I did buy a running car in pretty good shape, so I got to drive it for a few years, but I trashed it doing all the things a teenager would do with a hot car, particularly when it was still legal for 16 year olds to buy beer.

I've been working on it ever since then. I've said here many times that the biggest problem I've encountered is dishonest, unscrupulous people in the hobby. I've been ripped off more times that I can count, had shoddy work done over and over, and had to start over again and again. I bought a house specifically so I could have a garage to work on the car, and I'm in the final stages of losing the house.

That having been said (take off the noose, you'll like this), you've done two of the best things you could do for the position you're in. First, you're learning to do work yourself. The thing that will defeat the bad business people in the hobby is just not giving them the work to do. Keep it up.

Second, you came here. This site is a rarity on the web and in the car hobby. there are a lot of honest, generous, good-hearted people here, and when you need information, they'll make sure you get the right information.

Hang in there. If you don't finish before you're 30, you'll still have a couple of decades on me  :bigsmile:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011 - 09:30:47 PM »
Dang, everybody's getin' the winter blahs...

All I can tell you is keep your eyes on the prize. For one fine day, you will be the envy  of all  who see your ride. TRUST ME on this one. once done, THEN, you need to worry bout getting a little "bored" with the car the way it is. Half the fun if you can believe it is building the car. After your done, what will you talk about here? Politics? Yeah, talk about no motivation!

This is why we are here. To help you get back in the groove. I've owned my Challenger for almost 2 years and STILL haven't driven it more than on the trailer. Can't lose focus. Gotta remember that one fine day I will be the "Thumbs up", or "Hey, I gotta have this car! How much?" Guy...
It happened with the General Lee, Christine, My Dart, and now my son's '66 plymouth. He is 18 Y/O and has owned that thing since he was 13 Y/O..
Sure, he wants to drive it, but every time he begins in on me about it, I remind him how much the interior seat covers and such will cost. that usually buys me a little time.

posting pics of your car HERE would be a GREAT starting point..Get 'em re-sized..Put 'em on Photobucket or something. they usually are ready after uploading to just post here. Get the pics up man so we can enjoy your ride and hard work along with you...You'd be surprized at how another Cuda/Challenger opinion will get you over the hump....Seriously? How many College kids can say they are building an "ol Skool" musclecar?

PS: I think I got some DRIVER Trunk trim round here some place as well as a hood latch for '72-'74...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 - 09:41:10 PM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011 - 09:48:07 PM »
Well I appreciate it fellas, and yeah one thing I have learned is by me working on this old school car, everyone comes to me on car opinions and troubleshooting.  I'm not the smartest guy out there, and I've made mistake after mistake on this car, but I've learned from it, and fixed them, and I'll be so glad to get her on the road.  So yeah I need the trunk trim and the passenger side quarter panel trim if you got it? I have the drivers side.  And I think you mean you had driver quality stuff, and I live by driver quality  :bigsmile: You can pm or something, and yeah I'll post em to photobucket soon. 

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011 - 10:04:51 PM »
Its been almost exactly 6 years since I bought my Challenger project car.  It was a 1973, with rallye package, had no engine or tranny.  I was 13 at the time, and worked out 1500 bucks to buy the car.  Little did I know what I was getting into.  In the stupidest deal I ever made in my life, I agreed to pay for all the body work if my dad would pay for the drivetrain.  Well here is what all has been done to it.
-72 340 bored .60 over rebuilt, Hooker headers
-torqueflite trans bought and rebuilt
-dual exhaust
-2 new fenders
-2 new quarter panels
-new trunk pan
-new trunk lid
-used hood
-new windshield
-used header panel
-new valence pan

I painted the car myself (rallye red with flat black hood), and it looks pretty good for first time painting a car!! It was to be a father-son project, and turned into a son project to be honest.  SIX years later, I still have not really driven the car on the road.  I have bought and bought for this car, and still seem so far away.  I would like to at least get it running and road worthy, and then I could put the finishing touches on it as I go.  What  I need to drive it at least is:
-new tires
-hood latch
-floor
-carpet
-rear decklid trim
-trim put back on

It just gets me soooo down and out when I see the price on things like weatherstripping, and little trim pieces.  They are things that have to be bought, but that are hard to appreciate, especially when they are so dang expensive for such little things!! I'd give anything just to drive this car on sunny weekends.  Its not perfect, but its good enough for me.  Having done almost all the work myself, I've missed out on alot of things.  While my friends were off hanging out or something, I was working on the car.  After doing that time after time, and still not being able to drive the car with my friends and such, it gets depressing.  In the future, after I get it on the road, I would like to do the following:
-get Rallye wheels
-get a sure grip rearend, with different ratio gears
-put my fender scoops on and put my strobe stripes on
-new dash pad (or cover cap)
-new seat covers
-new air cleaner
-exhaust tips

How do I stay motivated guys?! Having to work on the car under the deck (no garage big enough!), and going to college at Appalachian State, I don't have much time to work on it except in between classes.  Six years, and still haven't drove the car.  All I have to show for all the work I've done, and all the time I've spent by myself wrenching, sanding, painting, and what have you, is just a good looking paper weight. Some times I just like to go down and start the car up and pretend I'm driving it.  And I wanted to upload some pics so yall could see how far I've come, but they are all too big.  It's been a long process, and been so much stress, and money out of a college kids wallet.  I just want it to pay off!!!!

this is what you need to drive it ?your 19 ? put the seat an glass in an the hood latch in  an drive it,,when your my age you will have to restore it again  :bigsmile:
hood latch
-floor
-carpet
-rear decklid trim
-trim put back on
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011 - 10:16:25 PM »
One thing I learned long ago... running /driving or not... they're NEVER done. Dont sweat it do what/when you can. Little by little you will get there.  :thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Cooter

• christinecarclub.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011 - 10:16:49 PM »
So yeah I need the trunk trim and the passenger side quarter panel trim if you got it? I have the drivers side.  And I think you mean you had driver quality stuff, and I live by driver quality  :bigsmile: You can pm or something, and yeah I'll post em to photobucket soon.

Lemme Dig it up and put my hands on it before I commit, but Ifn' I DO actually find it, Merry Xmas kid...Pm Me your shipping addy and All I ask is shipping....A member helped me out here with a hard to find Clutch Part one time (Moparal) and I'm paying it forward so to speak...

Offline Cooter

• christinecarclub.com
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011 - 10:49:06 PM »
Well, I can do 'ya on the Trunk and right quarter trim, but I musta sold the hood latch as I can't find it....Will this do for an Early X-mas present?

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011 - 11:00:36 PM »
I've got some used weatherstripping from my '74 that should work ..... perhaps some other pieces....    PM me with excactly what you need (I know I have the door pieces and door jambs... perhaps the roof pieces and other stuff ...   

VT Mopar

VT MOPAR

Offline Shmingey

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011 - 12:31:15 AM »
Wow, very nice offers guys. I'm new to this site but it seems to be full of very good people.

Hopefully this generosity will help give you the motivation you need.  I wish I could help out but I'm still trying to find a project to start on let alone have spare parts.  Best of luck with the rest of your project.  I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Offline black71

• eph 6:12
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011 - 12:47:08 AM »
Don't fret it homie I still haven't got to drive mine yet either...I'm 22 now..bought a 71 charger when I was 11, sold my dirt bike to buy it...worked on that, saved some money and sold it then started on a 69 charger..but it was too rough so I worked and saved some more...was able to get rid of it and buy my 71 challenger....so really I have spea nt half my life tryin to get there

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011 - 01:54:29 AM »
Get the mechanical and safety stuff done and drive it,that will be the moitivation to finish the other stuff.Remember that chrome and dash pads ect doesn't make it drive any better.I have had my 69 Cuda for 18 years and I could care less what others think of it as I have built it for me. I hear it all the time about "when you gonna a paint it" well the truth is when I want to I'll paint it.
Doug

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011 - 02:17:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing your situation with us.  We all want to see that you are successful in getting this classic back on the road.  I'm thinking we all may be able to help you in some way or another with parts, labor, advice, etc. 

I will offer up a 26" small block radiator if you can use one.  I pulled it from a working car a year ago.  If you can't use it, I have it listed here on c-c.com for sale, so if we can get a member to buy it, I'll have them send you the funds and I'll ship the radiator to them for free (lower 48). 

Best of success, one step at a time.
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011 - 09:00:17 AM »
well guys I really appreciate all the generosity...nice to know there plenty out there that have gone through the same situation.  Cooter I will message you my address.  VT I will look and see what I need, as I don't exactly know what all is necessary.  And challengermaniac, I already have a radiator, but thanks for the offer!  Really guys, I appreciated your help and you know what I think I'll do? Put some tires on it, put a hood latch on it and drive it down the road :D Awesome thread you have here guys with awesome people. 

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011 - 09:09:02 AM »
They're right; there's nothing like driving it to make you feel better.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars