Moving to South Florida

Author Topic: Moving to South Florida  (Read 3660 times)

Offline daveh

Moving to South Florida
« on: October 05, 2011 - 05:08:47 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of moving to South Florida.  I'm just looking to see what the classic car scene is like in South Florida.  I'm in the middle of the restoration of my 71 Challenger convertible and just looking to make some contacts.  Thanks

Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Moving to South Florida
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011 - 07:11:18 PM »
move a little further south to Panama & we will have you car back together in short order

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011 - 07:15:10 PM »
Just curious...Where are you moving from?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011 - 07:17:13 PM »
where in South Florida?
I'm in Miami, but I think the Ft.Lauderdale area has a more active classic car community, with more cruise-ins and shows.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline daveh

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011 - 08:09:17 PM »
I'm moving from Maryland and were looking at the Weston, Boca, Coral Springs area for the schools.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011 - 08:20:09 PM »
very nice area, and decent for raising kids.
heres a good website:

http://cruisinsouthflorida.com/
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline daveh

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011 - 09:06:36 PM »
Thanks anyone from around that area?

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011 - 09:46:38 PM »
What line of work are you in?  I had to move out of the area due to the decline in the electronics industry.  IBM used to have HQ in Boca, Motorola (where I worked) shrunk from >10,000 employees to <1000.

Mainly service industry now.  Good luck with the move, definitely a nice area, although a little congested.

Offline 74BlueFish

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011 - 10:54:04 PM »
I'm in West Broward County.  Just south of Weston.   Working on my 74 Cuda, don;t go to shows too much yet. 
Dan
Dan

Offline fantum

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011 - 11:46:03 PM »
Welcome to South Florida!!!!

I live south of Miami and have attended several shows, most of which occur during the winter as the weather is usually outstanding.  There are also a few other regular shows around the area.  One not mentioned is the one held every Friday night (weather permitting) at the Tower Shops just north of University Dodge.

Good luck on your move and let us know when you're settled in so we can get you to come out and play.

MIKE
Mike

Offline solarguy

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011 - 07:25:48 AM »
I'm in Ft Lauderdale,  You'll like it down here.  Good luck with the move. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011 - 09:09:16 AM »
We were thinking of Visiting Ft Lauderdale area for 4-5 day in 2-3 weeks ,any reasonable hotels in that area , what about cruizes or meets at the end of OCT ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline daveh

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011 - 10:34:13 AM »
Thanks for all of the great responses.  My wife and I are just tired of the winters and I'm sick of shoveling snow and putting Christmas lights up in the cold.  I have 3 kids one in college, one in high school and one in middle almost in high school although he acts like he already is.  The reason I need good schools is because my daughter (16) has Down Syndrome and we need the school to be able to include her like her present high school currently does.  That’s going to be the hardest part.  We have it really good up here and they treat here just like a kid.  She’s even on the H.S. cheerleading team.  We’ve done our research and those areas have the best schools 

I'm in sales and my wife is a CPA and both of our employers are allowing us to relocate and work out of the house.  So now we are in the process of listing our house up here and looking for one down there.  Were figuring it would all come together in the spring.  I live in a great area in MD that’s very desirable but it's rural and takes 25 minutes to get anywhere.  I want to find a house with a 3 car garage or enough space to add another garage so I'm being a little picky with this move.  I want to live somewhere where I can hook up with friends wrench and hang a little and go to shows.  But the main priority is the schools

I've taken the last 2 years and liquidated my entire inventory of cars and parts.  Sold my 68 Charger, my 69 Z/28, (2) 1970 Monte Carlos, a  67 Chevelle and a 69 Cougar convertible in order to finance all of this.  However, the one thing that I'm keeping and won't get ride of is my 1971 Challenger convertible.  The only *****in part is that it's all apart.  Now if you knew me I am a freak about organization and my only saving grace is that everything is all boxed and labeled very well.  Although I have stuff like the dash on a jig to work on, so I need to deal with that stuff. I told my wife that I would at least drive one U-Haul down because of all of the car parts and all of my tool boxes, benches, compressor, engine on the stand, etc., you get the idea.  It going to be a big job....

But thanks for the welcome.

One question - How do I go about registering my daily drivers down there?  Is there an inspection like MD.?  I read on the MVA site that it looks like I pay a $100.00 fee to make sure the title and VIN match and then just go and register it.  I didn’t see anything about a safety inspection.  Is that true?  I struggling a little bit because up here I have an acre of property and the homes were looking at have nothing.  I’m not sure where I’m going to put my car trailer and I really don’t want to sell it. Plus up here I have all of my contacts for all of my car bartering stuff so I will have to begin all over.  Oh well that life.

Any other input that you guys may have would be really appreciated.  Thanks again sorry for being so long winded.

Dave

Go to my Photo Bucket page and look at the two folders one with some original pics of when I got it and one folder with current pics.  I just finished installing the lower quarters & trunk drops, replacing the floor and now it's ready for blocking.  I'm making it a shaker car and it will have a TKO 5 speed with a beefed up 340.  I was just about to assemble everything for fitment and then take it apart for paint.  That will have to go on hold until after the move.

http://s65.photobucket.com/home/DAVE_1969/index

You will see in the pics that I am a Baltimore Raven fan I may have to switch and be a Miami fan.  Time will tell.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011 - 12:54:41 PM »
Dave, all this time you've been 30 minutes away, and life is so busy that i could never make it up there. I hope the move goes well. Sorry i never made it up there, i would have loved to help you "liquidate" parts!  :bigsmile:

I hope it goes smooth!
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline daveh

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011 - 01:41:19 PM »
Thanks Wally I hope so too.