Author Topic: Replacement Sheet metal, which is best/better/junk?  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Cuda416

Replacement Sheet metal, which is best/better/junk?
« on: October 08, 2011 - 11:51:21 AM »
So, everyone and there brother seems to be selling Mopar sheet metal nowadays which is great and all but who makes the best stuff.

Both AMD and YearOne seem like they are licensed to make panels from chrysler specs displaying banners reading  "Authentic Restoration Products" .

As I sift through all of the parts I need to find, I am trying to decide which parts I can simply settle for repops and which ones I should
really hold out for and get the real deal.

For example, I need a tailpanel for my 70 Barracuda. AMD has one for 450, Year One has one for 499. What are the differences? Maybe we
can start a thread here to document the differences and provide some sort of guide for people like me who have never laid hands on a resto panel.

I hope it's not considered bad form to try and start this in an AMD sponsored area but maybe it will end up making them look better than they already do.

If this sort of thread already exists, I'd like to see it.

Anyone?

70' Barracuda conv. (project)

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
Re: Replacement Sheet metal, which is best/better/junk?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011 - 12:28:32 PM »
AMD is best by far. You get what you pay for
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline edl94

• She Cuda
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011 - 08:23:10 PM »
I bought a lot of sheet metal for mine. AMD fit like a glove.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011 - 07:09:47 AM »
Year One is a reseller/midddleman not a manufacturer of parts.They sell either AMD or Googmark panels usaully at marked up prices.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Cuda416

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011 - 08:41:41 AM »
Ahh, this explains a lot. I agree with the statement above about getting what you pay for but YearOne panels seemed a bit more expensive.
That didn't jive with AMD being the best due to cost. Thanks guys I appreciate your input.

-C
70' Barracuda conv. (project)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011 - 09:43:54 AM »
I can back that up I got a new trunk lid for my Chall the body men that worked on my car said it was the best aftermarket part they had ever seen , bolted it on & fit perfectly

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011 - 11:20:13 AM »
IMO, AMD challenger quarter panels are far from perfect.  Nice pieces, but the lip around the wheel well will need to be trimmed as it's to wide by about .25".  The gas filler hole is slightly wrong and needs some work too.  Above the body line where the panel meets the door will need to massaging to be perfect.  Overall they are really good, but if you're going to OE gold standard restoration you will need to be aware of some of these things.  This is just one example.

If you want a good price, call Dave at Roseville.  He not only sells AMD, goodmark and more he really knows the little differences between them.  No one company has the best of all panels.  They each make some that are better than the other.  Also consider, Year One emails out 30% off promotion codes almost weekly so that really can help if you're using them as your supplier.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011 - 10:32:50 PM »
OP, if you use search function, you will get more info to help you make the right choice
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline chuck

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011 - 09:31:11 PM »
i bought all my AMD sheet metal from stefan great stuff and prices  :jumping: :crazy: :ylsuper:

Offline 71F7BH23

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011 - 10:18:28 PM »
AMD is the poster child of goodness as they are making most parts consumers are looking for, as Goodmark is fading as with Dynacorn,
As Cody said they are not perfect and do have their own QC problems. Roseville is a stocking dealer/retailer of AMD and Goodmark and has installed those parts. as mentioned y/o makes small items but as for the metal you will need to specify what panels they are selling as they will not disclose this info openly. Do not take for grantite that you'll be getting a AMD part.  Y/o marks up then gives you a discount to look better. email roseville with questions if you have any.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011 - 03:12:08 PM »
I had some Goodmark with stickers that said something like "Authentic MOPAR restoration part". Those pieces (Dutchman panel and RR Qtr) fit absolutely perfect according to my bodyman. The other 1/2 quarter skin from China - well we used that for parts and chopped it up.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011 - 11:28:18 PM »
Barry, here's something to ruin your whole day- they (parts) are virtually ALL made in China. I had to tear the Taiwan stickers off my AMD boxes to get them over the river without getting hit for duty on top of the HST here in Ontario.  :22yikes: