Author Topic: just found out im dietbec  (Read 3221 times)

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
just found out im dietbec
« on: October 13, 2011 - 01:38:12 PM »
i have been haveing problems seeing for a few days and went to the hostipal and had a 575 reading blood suger.then i had to stay about 9 houres with the iv to bring it down to 200,still cant see that good might have to get glases.and looking at the list of things you cant eat its like everything  this sucks

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: just found out im dietbec
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011 - 01:56:21 PM »
I've been a diabetic for 14 years so I know how you feel, especially when you're first diagnosed.
There is hope though. The list of foods that you can eat is longer than you might expect.
Once your doctors get your numbers under control, then you will feel much better and be able
to get the mindset to fix yourself a bit easier. If you want help or just to ask questions, feel free to
PM me with your phone # and we can talk.      Good Luck, it does get better,  Andy
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011 - 01:57:37 PM »
Oh, and by the way, the subtitle with your avatar is kinda ironic isn't it. lol

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011 - 02:18:44 PM »
yea i put that up about a year ago.this sucks to find out at 37 i like pop and hambegers  not warter and fish,i have to see a famliey doctor tomrow  i just checked it again and its about 400 and all i ate was a smale bowl of soup,its like your afraid to eat and i got a couple of pills one is for the blood presser and one is for the blood suger .i cant see that good alot of blurienes.they say it may go back to normal or may not so i might need glasses i hope not .i cant drive like this so we all know how we feel about our cars.i just feel like my freedom to do what i want is beeing taken away cant eat what i want cant drive i feel week i hope it gets better this is a big change for me

Offline AARCuda340+6

• Resident
  • Southern Ontario
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011 - 10:43:14 PM »
Sorry to hear about your condition, but you'll adapt and learn as we all do.  I have been diabetic for the past 11 years.  I too was only 37 when I developed this problem and thought I'd never be able to have a sweet snack or fast food ever again but as time goes by I found the fear subsided and ate more normally.  I still eat fast food and treats but I use a needle to administer insulin so I'll just take more when I eat a bigger meal.   I stopped drinking sugar pops but drink diet pops now.  They don't taste as good but your taste buds will get use to it.   My vision was blurred for over a month before I found out and when my numbers were back down to a more normal level my vision went back to normal.  One word of advise is to make sure you check your levels before you go for a drive and always have a snack with you incase your levels get too low.  Back in 2005 I ended up in a ditch because I never checked my levels before leaving my fathers farm and driving home.  I passed out at the wheel.  No one was hurt but I lost my license for about 8 months and had a dickens of a time to get it back.  I learned my lesson the hard way.   Good luck and take care.
You can call me RAY or RAYMOND or RAZOR or THE ZOR!
70 AAR Cuda
04 Rumble Bee

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011 - 11:06:59 PM »
Hope you get back on your feet again HPE600rt.

I'm currently on like a preventative diabetic maintenance pills.
Dr. says I'm borderline. If I push it, I'll go diabetic.

Watching my sugar nowadays.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011 - 07:07:26 AM »
I've been diabetic for a couple of years now. I still eat my hamburgers and drink my pop lol. It's all about how you are able to control it. I take 2 pills of metformin a day and that seems to keep me around the 120-150 range on a normal day, eating what I used too. The biggest change I have made to my diet is my soda. I still drink it, but now I stick to diet versions so there is no sugar in it. I have found that sugar in drinks is the fastest way to get your blood sugar up, because it practically gets straight into the system, it takes very little time to break down drinks compared to food.

And I don't drink yoohoo ever!!! But then again I secretly think that yoohoo causes diabetes, because I was on a weird "I love yoohoo" kick when it happened lol. Though if they had a diet yoohoo I know I'd be all over it.

You will find out more about what you can eat when you get your prescriptions figured out. I stuck to a fairly limited diet when I found out I was diabetic, until I could get my pills. I ate fish or chicken and broccoli for my main meals, only had eggs for breakfast (only had to do this for a few days til my dr's appointment). The reason I chose broccoli as a veggie is that it is fairly low in carbs so it would help to keep my sugar levels down until I got in to see the dr.

I know it sucks to be diagnosed with diabetes, I even expected it to come considering that I have a long family history of diabetes. And even taking that into account it was still a huge blow to me. Definitely has an impact, and I understand what you're going through.

If you need any help with food ideas or anything send me a pm. I've got a few diabetic cookbooks lying around, and I think my wife (who has been awesome through all this) has found a couple places where you can get info for all kinds of things pertaining to diabetes for free.
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011 - 08:08:02 AM »
  One word of advise is to make sure you check your levels before you go for a drive and always have a snack with you incase your levels get too low.  Back in 2005 I ended up in a ditch because I never checked my levels before leaving my fathers farm and driving home.  I passed out at the wheel.  No one was hurt but I lost my license for about 8 months and had a dickens of a time to get it back.  I learned my lesson the hard way.   Good luck and take care.

:iagree:  Good advise.  I met a guy that this happened to.  Now he doesn't drive his '67 Corvette.

Hope all works out for you hpe600rt.  Give it time as you are just being diagnosed and your levels need to level out.  There are many varying degree of diabetes and once you stabilize and the docs figure out what your medication regimen is you'll be good to go.  It'll take some lifestyle change and perhaps it'll be for the better.   :thumbsup:  I'm glad you're getting help!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011 - 02:28:18 PM »
just got home from the doctors office i had a 475 reading so they gave me 10 cc of the insolien shot and i have to go back tomrow for them to try it again and some new kind of pills i hope this helps i dont know how you guys did it but it is very hard.thank you for all the help i guess i have to try to do this one day at a time.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011 - 03:58:09 PM »
Well a burger without a bun isn't the end of the world. I am kinda surprised the doc only gave you 10 ml of insulin,
usually the standard is 1 unit for every 15 points that you are high.I guess trial and error is the best approach.
Just remember this one thought when you think it is getting hard," it is easier to manage my diet than it is to
live with neuropathy (loss of feeling) or an amputated foot.". Diabetes isn't a disease to take lightly, but with a little
bit of work, can be managed easily. And if you can manage it without the insulin, all the better for you!

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011 - 06:07:50 PM »
Biggest thins that help IMO are diet, exercise, lifestyle change.  Takes a bit to get used to but in the long run it'll help. 

When I was little, when ever we went to my uncles house, he would jog after work.  I used to think that my uncle was so healthy, jogging and all.  I mentioned this to him and he said that he didn't want to at first but made the change to help his diabetes.  He says he's much more healthy than he was before the diabetes.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011 - 08:00:57 PM »
you may end up taking metaformin which is easier to deal with than shots at least
 I am sorry you have it but it is controlable at least

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011 - 10:04:01 PM »
Sorry to hear that. My wife was just diagnosed with this last Christmas too. It's not the end of the world,
 ( could always be worce). Pretty common these days. Meds are expencive though. Definatley a change of lifestyle though. She eats healthier now though.
Keep yer chin up!  :sadwavey:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011 - 08:16:03 AM »
I am kinda surprised the doc only gave you 10 ml of insulin, usually the standard is 1 unit for every 15 points that you are high.

My guess is because he has become recently diabetic the doc wants to see what kind of medication he'll end up requiring. If they can get him started on pills and that is enough he may not really require insulin yet, and it might be dangerous to give him too much.
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011 - 09:24:10 AM »
well at least i can see better now,i have 2 take 3 pills in the moring and 2 pills at night whitch isnt that bad.i dont know the name of them my wife does that for me thank god lol.and i have had alot of water now the number is still high but not like it was its about 250 or so i have to go back tomrow to the docs,i think i will only need the pills but not shure  not easy i am shure glad i am not the only one haveing to do this, that makes me feel a bit better about it thank you for all your kind words  and info on this