Author Topic: Computer just died... need some advice on a new one?  (Read 3818 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Computer just died... need some advice on a new one?
« on: October 21, 2011 - 10:09:51 PM »
 :pullinghair:  I'm really getting sick of computer " issues"  I'm down to a little notebook to get on here. The main PC just died and won't turn on. :banghead:  So off I go looking at new PC's my head is spinning with all the spec's. The wife just got a new I pad she seems to like it ok? I have never used it...yet. While at the stores I was shown the Apple systems. Every salesman at ever store said it was the way to go? They say they last longer? ( like how do they know ? It's a new computer?)  But an attractive feature they tell me is Apple doesn't get viruses? I have 3 boys that live on electronic devises? They all have I Pod touches? and down load music, video's and games like crazy.
My problem is I'm not a tech geek! LOL I need a computor for my business accounting and switching "systems" is not gonna be fun! That and it seems everything will need to be replaced, printer, it's gonna cost about 2K for everything needed . :scared: versus about $800 for a new PC.  The salesman tell me a new PC will only last 3-4 years?  What the heck is up with that?? :stomp: and the apple system about 7-9 years I'm told? :dunno:
I'm really not into putting out $800 plus let alone 2K for a computer but am really sick of computer issues! I'f I gotta spend 2K for no headaches for the next 7-9 years it's worth it but it's the coughing up the funds....? :dunno:

What to do? 
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline willhaven

Re: Computer just died... need some advice on a new one?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011 - 10:39:04 PM »
Here is my advice. Go Apple.

This is coming from a professional video game developer who spent much of his youth playing PC games and hating Apple. I spend every day on a PC working and come home to my Mac.

When the latest generation of MacBooks came out with Intel processors, my last reason for hating them went away. Now you can use a program called Bootcamp to install Windows on a separate hard drive partition if you want. I thought I would do it, but I never found a reason to install Windows on my Mac. I just didn't miss the programs I thought I would miss.

I bought a 17" MacBook Pro from the Apple site a couple years ago. It was refurbished and I used the money I saved buying refurb to get the model that had the solid state hard drive with no moving parts.

I use mine for some gaming (admittedly I use my XBox a lot more), audio recording with Garage Band/Logic, Netflix and just general use stuff.

For the hardware, you pay a bit more, but the software is generally really well integrated and damn fast. Searching for files is faster than any PC I've ever used... including the beastly $4,000-$5,000 PCs we use for development at work.

The only things that drive me nuts about Apple are iTunes and their non-support of Flash on mobile devices. I had a crazy scare the other week updating my phone. iTunes hid my backup files in some weird place where iTunes couldn't find it. I had to track them down and copy/paste 3,000+ files to get my contacts and all of that back.

Generally, my experience has been great though.

Offline azievinger

• one Happy Island
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011 - 10:41:15 PM »
Brad,
Think about electronics are revamp every 6 to 8 months and Apple started this. they are the one who started changing there design every 6 to 8 months. Nothing are build to last beyond 5 years these days. Only Chally and cuda last for atleast 40 years but not without care. pc's are the same.
So don't let them fool you in apple goes for 7 yo 8 years. so 1 down.
Viruses, what ever is popular  will create interest of hackers and other scum. So just buy and good virus scanner for $30 to 40 an year and renew it. 2 down. Apple is top in making sure that you need to buy all kinds of accessory and cables which are only apple standard. for e.g. and simple usb port you will not find on most apple devices and indeed you need to buy them at average 40 bucks a piece. 3 down. And yes you need to search for different software for your business admin. or search for the apple version again extra cost and yes they work different and you need start over, nothing against change but not always. and do you really want to stay 7 to 8 years with an computer, they get old and stop working etc... On they other hand apple do have nice designs and yes they do work well, but surely not always better than an pc. So brad save your self $ in these difficult times and buy and nice new windows pc. alvin

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011 - 10:55:42 PM »
  The salesman tell me a new PC will only last 3-4 years?  What the heck is up with that?? 

Shhhhhh My 9-yr old PC-Clone might hear you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      :roflsmiley:
                                                                                                                            One hard drive at about 5-yrs                                         
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011 - 11:54:56 PM »
Well if you go with apple its true you wont have virus issues ever. Viruses aren't made for Mac operating systems.
Personally I hate mac but that's me haha. My comp is 9 years old as well still ticking granted Ive had to reformat several times lol. If you decide on getting a new one but not a mac here is one of the best sites to buy from.

http://www.newegg.com/

When you try to start up do you get any messages or the evil Blue or Black Screen of computer death!!! ?
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011 - 08:26:27 AM »
Well if you go with apple its true you wont have virus issues ever. Viruses aren't made for Mac operating .

http://www.newegg.com/

When you try to start up do you get any messages or the evil Blue or Black Screen of computer death!!! ?

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreceiate it! :2thumbs: This is just like asking what cam to use. You ask 10 people, get 10 different answers! :grinyes: Head is still spinning.... apple stuf is nice sure but wow sure is expencive...
When I went to use it ( I usually put it in "hibrinating mode" when I'm not using it) it won't come on? Usually I hear the fan roar to life but nothing. Green light is on but nothing appears on the screen. I tried turning off the power for a few minutes then turning it back on, but nothing. Salesman figure the mother board is fried? :dunno:   I guess it could be this " black screen" you mentioned?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011 - 08:41:57 AM »

When I went to use it ( I usually put it in "hibrinating mode" when I'm not using it) it won't come on? Usually I hear the fan roar to life but nothing. Green light is on but nothing appears on the screen. I tried turning off the power for a few minutes then turning it back on, but nothing. Salesman figure the mother board is fried? :dunno:   I guess it could be this " black screen" you mentioned?

:icon16:     Salesmen usually know nothing, just want to make a sale DAMHIK
If your interested in troubleshooting it yourself I have had luck in the past stripping computers down to the essentials to see if they show any sign of life then adding items back till the problem reappears.  I fixed my 10+ year old Dell work PC with some new memory sticks last year for about $29.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011 - 08:50:01 AM »
If your interested in troubleshooting it yourself I have had luck in the past stripping computers down to the essentials to see if they show any sign of life then adding items back till the problem reappears.  I fixed my 10+ year old Dell work PC with some new memory sticks last year for about $29.

True!  :grinyes:  If you lived close I just bring it to you as computers are so not my thing. I can't even figure out how to set up my e-mail account on this notebook I'm using now let alone fix the other one! :lol:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011 - 08:50:33 AM »

:iagree: that is the best way to troubleshoot it,,and I would do that before buying a new one
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011 - 08:54:34 AM »
True!  :grinyes:  If you lived close I just bring it to you as computers are so not my thing. I can't even figure out how to set up my e-mail account on this notebook I'm using now let alone fix the other one! :lol:

I knew nothing at one time either but found computers are like anything else, if you don't Lay Hands On they don't fix themselves.
  Bad hard drives are about the only issue I have not been able to deal with, the local computer shop has been able to save my info & install a new one for about $100 more than the cost of a new drive.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011 - 08:57:57 AM »
I knew nothing at one time either but found computers are like anything else, if you don't Lay Hands On they don't fix themselves.
  Bad hard drives are about the only issue I have not been able to deal with, the local computer shop has been able to save my info & install a new one for about $100 more than the cost of a new drive.

Ya I hear ya... I have replaced a hard drive on a computer 15 years ago. I guess at this point it's broke, and I can't break it anymore, might as well rip it appart? It had a virus about 6 months ago. I paid like $75 to have it fixed, just sick of throwing money into this one!
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline 06Daytona

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011 - 09:43:21 AM »
Personally I'd go with a PC if you can't fix the broken one. I've used the same desktop for the last 5 years and was going to replace it with a gaming super computer when it died, but it just wouldn't die on me. I finally ended up just going to a computer store, picking up all the parts and building myself a new one with the help of a couple of friends that know what they're doing.
What I like about a PC is that you can upgrade bits and pieces as you need or want and there seems to be more options  for parts. Skynet cost me about 2000 bucks to build, but it should be able to run everything I need for the next 5 or 6 years and as technology improves I can swap hard drives, RAM, graphics cards etc and the way I have it built now, I shouldn't need to do it for the next couple of years for any reason other than bragging rights with my friends.
I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti virus, it's free and it's been working great for me for the last 2 years.
1972 Cuda 340 4 barrel 4 speed that looks like a 71
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (Kidmobile)
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1970 Challenger 440/727 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster 340/auto (Making it Panther Pink for the wife)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)
In desperate need of more property for my growing Mopar family

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011 - 09:49:01 AM »
, just sick of throwing money into this one!

No doubt there's a point they need to be replaced, to me the most valuable part of a computer is the data stored in it, if that's not an issue new may be your best bet. If the data is important it still may be salvaged even if the HD is the problem.
Being the cheapskate I am it's hard for me to see the value in the Apple having had such good luck with PCs. 
Good Luck with it.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011 - 09:56:40 AM »
tear it apart and learn more about it, there just like a car and they will need service,,as far as removing a virus get a external hard drive and save everything you need to it and then if you get a virus and cant get rid of it ,,then reformat  the computer and all the things you don't want to lose will be on the external drive, I would never pay to get my oil changed let alone $75 to remove a virus,,it takes some learning but if I can do it then anybody can.
 there not as complicated as made out to believe ,,all the hardware can be up graded and replaced ,,and get a pc not an apple  :2cents:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011 - 10:01:33 AM »
tear it apart and learn more about it, there just like a car and they will need service,,as far as removing a virus get a external hard drive and save everything you need to it and then if you get a virus and cant get rid of it ,,then reformat  the computer and all the things you don't want to lose will be on the external drive, I would never pay to get my oil changed let alone $75 to remove a virus,,it takes some learning but if I can do it then anybody can.
 there not as complicated as made out to believe ,,all the hardware can be up graded and replaced ,,and get a pc not an apple  :2cents:

Looking at used ones now...? Oh trust me.....me and John Browning are gonna tear this one appart!  :roflsmiley:  I guess really it doesn't owe me much...I've had it 6-7 years and it was refurbished when I got it.... just burns me how all this crap seems to be "planned obsolecence" built into them....
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post