Author Topic: Who here has the Keisler A-41 auto OD set up?  (Read 53629 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Who here has the Keisler A-41 auto OD set up?
« on: October 23, 2011 - 07:34:11 PM »
Post up the good? bad? ugly?   Looking quite seriously at getting one over the winter and looking for feedback from those who have been down this road?
Thanks Brad  :wave:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Who here has the Keisler A-41 auto OD set up?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011 - 09:20:34 AM »
Anyone?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011 - 11:14:10 PM »
Hi Brad,  It seems as though we are in a parallel car universe.  My 520 stroker is about complete; Im just waiting for an ignition system, and some valves for my ported stealth heads.  I have an XV level 1 suspension and brake kit coming....some day....soon I hope.....been waiting way too long.  And now I need a transmission.  I have talked to a couple of guys who have driven mopars with the l460e from keisler.  Both guys loved it!!  The guy from R/T Garage in MN who is building the rev-n-ator ignition with a rev limiter says one of his customers beats the crap out of his car with the Keisler, and has no problems.  It seems to take the abuse of a stroker, high horse high torque motor.  My friend drove one in a 67 b body with a hemi, and said he loved the ability to change shift points with a push of a button for picking up a little street action, or just cruising.  Draw back is price.  I want one.  Im saving for one unless something better come along.  I have been also looking at the TCI six speed auto, and I see Hi-Tech Trans in Farmington Hills Mi is experimenting with a 727 with a 518 tailshaft mated with a special plate, said to hold up to huge h.p..  I am still leaning towards the Keisler, although real mopar parts are cooler.  Do you know how long of a lead time Keisler needs before a trans would show up at your door?   J
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011 - 08:31:40 AM »
Hi Brad,  It seems as though we are in a parallel car universe.  My 520 stroker is about complete; Im just waiting for an ignition system, and some valves for my ported stealth heads.  I have an XV level 1 suspension and brake kit coming....some day....soon I hope.....been waiting way too long.  And now I need a transmission.  I have talked to a couple of guys who have driven mopars with the l460e from keisler.  Both guys loved it!!  The guy from R/T Garage in MN who is building the rev-n-ator ignition with a rev limiter says one of his customers beats the crap out of his car with the Keisler, and has no problems.  It seems to take the abuse of a stroker, high horse high torque motor.  My friend drove one in a 67 b body with a hemi, and said he loved the ability to change shift points with a push of a button for picking up a little street action, or just cruising.  Draw back is price.  I want one.  Im saving for one unless something better come along.  I have been also looking at the TCI six speed auto, and I see Hi-Tech Trans in Farmington Hills Mi is experimenting with a 727 with a 518 tailshaft mated with a special plate, said to hold up to huge h.p..  I am still leaning towards the Keisler, although real mopar parts are cooler.  Do you know how long of a lead time Keisler needs before a trans would show up at your door?   J

Hi Jordon!
I have no idea of the lead time they need. Ya they sure are pricey huh!
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011 - 08:46:21 PM »
Hey, this looks like a spot where I want to put some q's into. For our 74 Challenger we are getting the 6.1 Gen III hemi. Now the car is almost ready for primer so I need to know as much as I can about these new tranny setups. We want to stay automatic (currently have a 727) but he wants to go with a new 6spd. I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about for these different transmission types so some info would be great, links etc... and how pricey is pricey? Im ordering all this stuff on monday here because it takes 3 months to get the 6.1 built and we want this car on the road for the may long weekend.

Thanks!!

Justin

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011 - 08:59:22 PM »
Oh man... Paddle Shifter for Keisler A41.... exiting. Basic and Full Manual, now this sounds like fun.

Ok, I am going to call them on monday, 4spd... but if its as plug n play as it says it is. Any ideas what the difference between the Mopar edition is and the E-body eidtion? Going with the Stage 1, we dont plan on tweeking the 6.1 Hemi from stock so a 450 ft. lbs. unit should be good enough?? Any thoughts on that?

Will post my findings after I talk with the company on monday. But I have a good feeling about it, paddles and the stage one e-body kit is what I am thinking of for the moment.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011 - 04:09:13 AM »
Oh man... Paddle Shifter for Keisler A41.... exiting. Basic and Full Manual, now this sounds like fun.

Ok, I am going to call them on monday, 4spd... but if its as plug n play as it says it is. Any ideas what the difference between the Mopar edition is and the E-body eidtion? Going with the Stage 1, we dont plan on tweeking the 6.1 Hemi from stock so a 450 ft. lbs. unit should be good enough?? Any thoughts on that?

Will post my findings after I talk with the company on monday. But I have a good feeling about it, paddles and the stage one e-body kit is what I am thinking of for the moment.

I was quoted $5200 including shipping in the USA ( I'm in Canada) for the stage 3 set up without the paddle shift option. I think that was another $700? What I like about the Keisler set up is no cutting up the tranny tunnel. Every other OD auto tranny ( except gear vendors unit) you have to cut up the car. Let us know what you find?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011 - 01:27:31 PM »
I am calling tomorrow too.  I see that they are having a small sale right now. If they can drop a couple of hundred of dollars, I will take it.  I just received my XV Level I suspension and brakes, my engine is in its final stages of assembly, so, it looks like I should get a transmission onto the pile of parts in the garage.  Have either of you guy looked into the TCI six speed?  Do you have to cut the floor with that one too?  It just doesn't seem like a complete package as the keisler.  I am looking for something that I don't have to waste a lot of time finding and fabricating parts to get it to work right.   $5k is a lot of money though. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011 - 01:42:23 PM »
I am calling tomorrow too.  I see that they are having a small sale right now. If they can drop a couple of hundred of dollars, I will take it.  I just received my XV Level I suspension and brakes, my engine is in its final stages of assembly, so, it looks like I should get a transmission onto the pile of parts in the garage.  Have either of you guy looked into the TCI six speed?  Do you have to cut the floor with that one too?  It just doesn't seem like a complete package as the keisler.  I am looking for something that I don't have to waste a lot of time finding and fabricating parts to get it to work right.   $5k is a lot of money though.

I havent checked on the TCI, right now the keisler seems to be best fit for what I want, Im already done the metal part of the car and am in the middle of putting primer on the car, I dont want to wait 4 months or so before I can fit the tranny up to do more serious modifications. And Im not cutting the car up after I just spent over a year getting the body into paint. We have already spent near 70,000$ into this challenger so 5,000$ isnt going to break the bank.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011 - 01:43:18 PM »

I belive the TCI  6 speed is like $7K and the shifter looks kinda goofy to me? I like the stock look.  That and you have to cut up the floor boards :eek4:
also with the Keisler set up you have 2 modes...performance and ecomony if you wish, don't know if TCI offers that?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011 - 01:44:55 PM by brads70 »
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline bad440

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011 - 01:44:04 PM »
Would prefer installing a Gear Vendors overdrive in my 440 Challenger. That way I can keep my durable 727, and just add an overdrive tailshaft and shorter driveshaft.
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011 - 01:57:04 PM »
I looked at the gear vendors unit but what killed it for me is the extra weight and the cost the kit is close to 3K and you still need a driveshaft etc... that and you would be wise to rebuild your 727 so that adds to the cost and makes it more than the Keisler set up. Another thing( and I know I'll get shot for this but.... )the GM tranny is lighter and has less spinning weight than the Mopar tranny and has a lock up convertor. Add in the G/V unit and how much HP is lost going through all that? :dunno: Another issue  say down the road you wear it out, ( I plan on driving mine a lot!) the GM tranny you can get rebuilt anywhere, the G/V .... not so much?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011 - 02:15:03 PM »
I looked at the gear vendors unit but what killed it for me is the extra weight and the cost the kit is close to 3K and you still need a driveshaft etc... that and you would be wise to rebuild your 727 so that adds to the cost and makes it more than the Keisler set up. Another thing( and I know I'll get shot for this but.... )the GM tranny is lighter and has less spinning weight than the Mopar tranny and has a lock up convertor. Add in the G/V unit and how much HP is lost going through all that? :dunno: Another issue  say down the road you wear it out, ( I plan on driving mine a lot!) the GM tranny you can get rebuilt anywhere, the G/V .... not so much?

Now that sounds like good common sence

Offline bad440

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011 - 02:28:27 PM »
I cannot install a GM(as in Generic) transmission in my Mopar, and as far as rebuilding the tranny, wouldn't do that unless I had a problem with it. Shortening the driveshaft is not a big deal, and as for the weight gain, that is negligible.
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011 - 02:38:57 PM »
I cannot install a GM(as in Generic) transmission in my Mopar, and as far as rebuilding the tranny, wouldn't do that unless I had a problem with it. Shortening the driveshaft is not a big deal, and as for the weight gain, that is negligible.

I understand the GM  thing too. I cringe at that myself , that's one of the negatives of the Keisler set up, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives... but again that's just me.  :cheers:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post