Author Topic: Who here has the Keisler A-41 auto OD set up?  (Read 53624 times)

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
Re: Who here has the Keisler A-41 auto OD set up?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011 - 08:17:54 PM »
I feel funny about the GM trans in my mopar too.  I figure that I have aftermarket engine parts, suspension parts, brakes, exhaust, and other things, why should I mind the trans being made by GM?  I am not taking it to get judged at the nationals.  I suppose I will get over it after a couple of drives.  Nobody will know watching from behind going down the road!   
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011 - 08:24:37 PM »
 :iagree: same here. My personal rule is I don't do anything that can't be "undone" it's all bolt on stuff on mine, Viper calipers, aluminum rad,gauges etc.... I've kept most everything that I took off so I can but it all back to stock down the road . Mine you I doubt I ever will do that...
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline jordan

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011 - 07:31:29 AM »
I talked to Keisler yesterday.  Special sale right now.  $200 off.  Price is $5K.  The $200 off should cover shipping.  Keisler said they would set up the trans however you want.  Programed, or not.  3 choices of stall on the converter.  1600 rpm to 2000, 2000 to  2400 rpm, and 2400 to 2900 rpm.  I am putting in a stroker with expected torque in the 650ftlb range, and plan on using it as a road car, not so much as a drag car.  Should I go for the mid range stall, or just stick with the stock lower stall speed?  Delivery time is about 4 weeks.  Keisler said they would honor the discount price until the first of the year.  J

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011 - 08:07:20 AM »
I talked to Keisler yesterday.  Special sale right now.  $200 off.  Price is $5K.  The $200 off should cover shipping.  Keisler said they would set up the trans however you want.  Programed, or not.  3 choices of stall on the converter.  1600 rpm to 2000, 2000 to  2400 rpm, and 2400 to 2900 rpm.  I am putting in a stroker with expected torque in the 650ftlb range, and plan on using it as a road car, not so much as a drag car.  Should I go for the mid range stall, or just stick with the stock lower stall speed?  Delivery time is about 4 weeks.  Keisler said they would honor the discount price until the first of the year.  J

I'm planning on the middle stall speed. As I understand it once the coverter is in lock up in OD, stall speed is not a factor ? :dunno:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011 - 08:09:15 AM »
I can only say after dealing with Keisler a few times now the way they treated me & the quality of the product delivered at this point even if they had the best product in the world I would not touch it from them , I would buy from anyone else first . Imet a guy at Carlisle a couple of years back & he parked his car right across from the keisler display & bad mouthed them all weekendwith some of the exact issues I had encountered as well with their products . His shifter leaned back so far in 2-4 that the driveshaft yolk would hit it & kick it out of gear ,they had no solution for this .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011 - 08:14:10 AM »
I can only say after dealing with Keisler a few times now the way they treated me & the quality of the product delivered at this point even if they had the best product in the world I would not touch it from them , I would buy from anyone else first . Imet a guy at Carlisle a couple of years back & he parked his car right across from the keisler display & bad mouthed them all weekendwith some of the exact issues I had encountered as well with their products . His shifter leaned back so far in 2-4 that the driveshaft yolk would hit it & kick it out of gear ,they had no solution for this .

Ya I've heard of issues with the Tremic OD set up, but so far nothing with the auto OD?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011 - 11:57:51 AM »
Still not sure why you just do go for the A518/46RH w/JW ultrabell route (unless you have small block, then no need for the JW).

I found me a 2-pin non-lockup A518 recently from a '91 van for $150.  I figure $400 for JW, $250 for a 'verter, $1k for a rebuild, and some mods for support, I should be around $2k total.

And then can use that extra $3k to towardsr...an alterkation?
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011 - 12:45:35 PM »
Still not sure why you just do go for the A518/46RH w/JW ultrabell route (unless you have small block, then no need for the JW).

I found me a 2-pin non-lockup A518 recently from a '91 van for $150.  I figure $400 for JW, $250 for a 'verter, $1k for a rebuild, and some mods for support, I should be around $2k total.

And then can use that extra $3k to towardsr...an alterkation?
You forgot to add in the price of a new driveshaft
Ya I looked at that set up too, but for me the negatives are 518 is MUCH heavier than a 4L60, can't have 2 modes with the flick of a switch, all the pressure switches, etc stress me out, I like the idea of a lock up convertor when ever I want. Much easier to change shift points etc.. in the Keisler set up. Fits with no mods. Ya the price for the Keisler is nuts but when you go and try and price out all the parts to build your own "kit" , shipping hassel etc... you might as well just bite the bullet ? :2cents:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline jordan

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011 - 07:03:59 PM »
Brad, those are all the reasons I am going towards the Keisler!  Exactly!  I haven't heard anything bad about the auto installation.  Keisler said they have the 4 speed auto in a 71 cuda they have, and have done over 50 full hard passes with an Arrington built 6.1 putting out 500hp at the wheels.  No trans issues, even trying to break it.  At least that is their story.  Has anybody here had a issue with the auto?  I have heard stories of guys pounding on their cars without an issue with the trans.    I am not saying I will not have any problems, I may.  I will have to take my chances like I do with every other part I buy from any other vendor.  It just took me a month to get a distributor from a "reputable" dealer recommended on this forum.  I am sure I could have gotten better service at a different place.  Keisler couldn't be as big as they are without doing something right.  But I do have a little reservation because of what I have heard.  I still need a trans. 

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011 - 11:52:31 AM »
You forgot to add in the price of a new driveshaft
Ya I looked at that set up too, but for me the negatives are 518 is MUCH heavier than a 4L60, can't have 2 modes with the flick of a switch, all the pressure switches, etc stress me out, I like the idea of a lock up convertor when ever I want. Much easier to change shift points etc.. in the Keisler set up. Fits with no mods. Ya the price for the Keisler is nuts but when you go and try and price out all the parts to build your own "kit" , shipping hassel etc... you might as well just bite the bullet ? :2cents:

Price of a new driveshaft?  You mean to have it cut and re-welded?  Can't be more than $100.  518 is maybe what, 50lbs heavier than a 727 at most?  It will last longer behind a big block than that 4L60 IMHO.

If you need a lock-up trans, get a 3-pin 518 and you can get an adjustable vacuum switch.  Keisler is nice that you can program your shift points on the fly.  If you want that much control of a trans, then just do a stick shift transplant.

Shipping hassle?  I plan on getting it all built locally so in case something goes wrong.  If a Keisler goes bad, talk about shipping hassle.

My $0.02.  $5k plus is a lot to splurge on a trans that's not a stick shift.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011 - 12:33:32 PM »

Price of a new driveshaft?  You mean to have it cut and re-welded?  Can't be more than $100.  518 is maybe what, 50lbs heavier than a 727 at most?  It will last longer behind a big block than that 4L60 IMHO.

If you need a lock-up trans, get a 3-pin 518 and you can get an adjustable vacuum switch.  Keisler is nice that you can program your shift points on the fly.  If you want that much control of a trans, then just do a stick shift transplant.

Shipping hassle?  I plan on getting it all built locally so in case something goes wrong.  If a Keisler goes bad, talk about shipping hassle.That's a good point! Very true!

My $0.02.  $5k plus is a lot to splurge on a trans that's not a stick shift. Ya I know manual is more popular... just not what I want
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline jordan

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011 - 05:48:52 PM »
 When I want it to be a manual, I just shift it myself.  When I don't, I put it in drive, and forget about it.  Cant do that with a manual.  It leaves me with on foot on the gas, one on the brake, one hand on the steering, and the  other on the shifter.  I am sure I wouldn't set up my car for heel and toe shifting, and I don't have an extra leg for the clutch.  Automatics are supposed to be more consistent at the drag strip. 
     4 or 5 years ago, BMW was trying to quit offering manual transmissions in all of their car line, because the auto trans became so much better performing than a manual.  Outrage from their supporters prompted them to continue with the manual, otherwise it would have been gone. 
     One description I got of the Keisler from someone who has driven one in a mopar was that in slow cruising, you can't even feel the trans shift, it is supposed to be that smooth.  Kick down works smoothly and easily too.  But when you flip the switch, it becomes as hard shifting as you want. 
     If there was a mopar alternative that works like the Keisler kit, and I don't have to cut the floors, fabricate my own crossmember, and finish the "kit", I would buy it.
 Can a 518 handle 600ft lbs?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011 - 06:45:01 PM »
I have no doubt a 518 could be built to handle 600 FTlbs, but it wouldn't come cheap. :grinno:
I agree with you though the Keisler set up is the best of both worlds. It's just a bolt in parts you can always go back if down the road someone wants it to be all Mopar. Besides who knows what the future holds.... maybe Mopar will come up with a better mousetrap down the road?  :dunno:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline jordan

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011 - 09:55:00 PM »
Is anyone working with the auto trans that is behind the 6.1l or 6.3l hemi challenger or charger that can bolt up to a big block?  It wouldn't be so bad to use the mopar computer and wiring.  Why isn't this an option somewhere?  I don't really know anything about this trans, that is why I am asking.  J

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011 - 09:26:03 PM »
Is anyone working with the auto trans that is behind the 6.1l or 6.3l hemi challenger or charger that can bolt up to a big block?  It wouldn't be so bad to use the mopar computer and wiring.  Why isn't this an option somewhere?  I don't really know anything about this trans, that is why I am asking.  J

That's a good question.  The V8 challengers use the W5A580.  There is http://paramountperformanceproducts.com/ that sells the transmission for ~$5k if you don't have a core. The trans is a 5-spd.

Chrysler is working on a new 8-spd auto that will be able to handle up to 740 ft-lbs... that would be interesting to fit into an old car: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*