Author Topic: Who here has the Keisler A-41 auto OD set up?  (Read 53620 times)

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
Re: Who here has the Keisler A-41 auto OD set up?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011 - 05:28:49 PM »
That trans looks huge!  I am sure it would take some floor mods to fit that one.  But, if you have to cut the floor anyway to fit a 518, why not use the new one instead and gain and extra gear, and strength?  Now who is ready to make a new bell housing?
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline jordan

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011 - 11:32:48 PM »
I got a reply from Paramount Performance Products, saying contact Bill at Modern Muscle and find out about swapping in a modern mopar trans into our classic mopars.  I will do that tomorrow and post what I find out here.  I am hoping for good news, but Im not holding my breath.  But it sure would be nice to put a modern trans behind a big cube big block!  J

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011 - 08:31:59 AM »
Quick time make s a lot of adapter type bellhousings.
http://www.lakewoodindustries.com/QuickTime.aspx
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline jordan

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011 - 10:06:47 AM »
Brad, I followed the link and found out that quick time does not have a bell housing.  I can get one made for $800 +.  Even if I could get this, I don't think I am the guy to come up with everything to make it work.  I dropped a message to Modern Muscle in Va from a tip I got from Paramount.  I will keep us posted.  J

Offline jordan

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011 - 11:25:28 PM »
Well, I got a reply from Dave Weber at Modern Muscle.  He recommends a TCI six speed auto.  Pushing $8k!!! And still doesn't have the same amount of parts like the Keisler kit.  I see on the Modern Muscle web site that he built up a couple of cudas, and they have Keisler 5 sp trans, but he didn't recommend the Keisler Auto???  I followed the installation series in Mopar Action of the TCI six spd, and it looks like a PITA.  I don't suppose somebody is going to come up with a kit to install a mopar 580 trans to a big block in old skool rides in the next month or so?  Back to Keisler.............

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011 - 06:40:41 AM »
Well, I got a reply from Dave Weber at Modern Muscle.  He recommends a TCI six speed auto.  Pushing $8k!!! And still doesn't have the same amount of parts like the Keisler kit.  I see on the Modern Muscle web site that he built up a couple of cudas, and they have Keisler 5 sp trans, but he didn't recommend the Keisler Auto???  I followed the installation series in Mopar Action of the TCI six spd, and it looks like a PITA.  I don't suppose somebody is going to come up with a kit to install a mopar 580 trans to a big block in old skool rides in the next month or so?  Back to Keisler.............

Did he say why he didn't recommend a Keisler auto? I know the overwealming majoroity wants a stick
 ( manual ) Did he just not say anything about the Keisler or did he have a reason? If he has a reason I'd like to know about it as for me 5K is a big chunk of fudge to come up with and I don't need any headaches either!  :grinno:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline jordan

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011 - 08:33:51 PM »
Looks like I dorked up the Modern Muscle website and looked at a different one, so I don't see the Keisler in any of his cars.....hence no recommendation.  I do see on his site, the correct one, that he is a distributor of the TCI trans, so thats that recommendation.  I only dropped this guy an email about putting the 580 up to a big block, so I didn't really have talk about transmissions. 
      It looks like my engine may be finished by the end of the year, so I can get my dyno printout to Keisler and save the $200 if I order before the end of the year.  There just isn't a lot of information to convince me not to, but there isn't a lot of information about it being everything they say it is.  It looks like I risk my money, and hope I don't hear a lot of "I told you so".  I think we all take that risk on a lot of products we buy.    Happy Holidays   J

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011 - 10:46:04 PM »
Does the KISS principle work here? What about the old hot rodder trick of an adapter to mount a dead nuts stock 4L60 or better, 4L80, up to which ever engine you've got? The trans controller/programmer, some with dual modes, runs approx. $1300. Most of these cars are being driven, hence the OD desire, so a high stall converter is a moot question. Adapt a trans x-member and cut the driveshaft with a hybid universal joint and you should be pretty close. OR, 86 the 4L80 and go with a 700R4 which has mechanical controls, costs 1/2 the price, has a 3:06 first gear, is built on the old GM 400 (meaning it wears like a pigs nose), has OD and has had a zillion mounts fabbed for it. Get over the Mopar everything thing, since lots of parts weren't built by Ma, and the only guy who's going to know is the oil change weenie, who is likely yourself.  :2cents:

Offline rb70

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011 - 02:57:14 PM »
Post up the good? bad? ugly?   Looking quite seriously at getting one over the winter and looking for feedback from those who have been down this road?
Thanks Brad  :wave:

Is there a reason you are not considering a A518?
Thinking of either that or a 6sp manual, PATC sells a kit to allow a lockup TC and the best part is it looks stock and no switches.

Offline jordan

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011 - 03:24:33 PM »
I just put my order in on the Keisler today.  It should be delivered in Feb.  Man, I hope I did the right thing for that much money.   J

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011 - 05:42:27 PM »
I just put my order in on the Keisler today.  It should be delivered in Feb.  Man, I hope I did the right thing for that much money.   J

Nice!  :2thumbs:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline ramman5600

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012 - 10:27:13 PM »
Nice!  :2thumbs:

Any updates?  I too am seriously considering the keisler option.  The GV unit is more indestructible, but doesn't give as much O/D.

-Chad :wave:

Offline ramman5600

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012 - 10:29:03 PM »

Also did you order the paddle shifter or the valve body upgrade to enhance engine braking?

-chad

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012 - 04:55:15 PM »
I am calling tomorrow too.  I see that they are having a small sale right now. If they can drop a couple of hundred of dollars, I will take it.  I just received my XV Level I suspension and brakes, my engine is in its final stages of assembly, so, it looks like I should get a transmission onto the pile of parts in the garage.  Have either of you guy looked into the TCI six speed?  Do you have to cut the floor with that one too?  It just doesn't seem like a complete package as the keisler.  I am looking for something that I don't have to waste a lot of time finding and fabricating parts to get it to work right.   $5k is a lot of money though.

Did you order one?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012 - 06:51:00 PM »
 a are going to order a stage 2 in August.