Author Topic: i want a new scanner  (Read 586 times)

Offline dougs bs23

i want a new scanner
« on: October 24, 2011 - 05:10:44 PM »
So, its time to upgrade to a new scanner to replace my old nonupgradable hand held scanner.  Looking for your comments and suggestions on some hand help units. I dont want to spend thousands on a otc genisis or something similar but a nace hand help would do fine for me.  Besides global dtc's and manufacturer specific codes, I/m looking at the two following models and am kind of betwixt/between on which one. So the Equus 3160 which im leaning to canobd2 with abs (i want the abs and bi-directional)) or maybe the autoxray7000. But with the autoxray, i dont think i need the obd1 as i dont do much before 1996, unless its 60's or 70's even some early 80's stuff.  Which would you buy?  What do you use in a handheld and why?  It's getting confusing, or maybe im reading to much into these things.
thanks for your input
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline gkring

Re: i want a new scanner
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011 - 10:13:11 PM »
I have a 3140 and liek it okay, but find myself wanting more diag ability out of it. The OBD I feature is not much use, but nice to have just to pull a code. Out of the two I kind of regret not going with the Xray 7000 at the time. If I was deciding today i would look at one of the many Iphone based or computer based systems if you think you may want more features than the handheld can provide. many forums out there to search for opinions based on your intended useage. www.garagejournal.com is one I frequent more for tools, but alot of professional techs are active on there and give good scan tool advice. if you are going to really use it weekly then spend the money on a used Genisys or snapon scanner and don't look back. Good thing is if you buy a fairly recent one new you can sell it for a very small loss if you decide it isn't good enough after using it for a short while.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver