Author Topic: Mirror options  (Read 2795 times)

Offline NCtrueconservative

Mirror options
« on: October 31, 2011 - 10:04:13 AM »
Just a quick question...what were the mirror options for challengers/cudas?  I have a 73 rallye, and I need mirrors for it, and I've looked thru some pics of cars on here and I have seen sport mirrors in both chrome and body color, and I've seen round mirrors.  Just wondering what options came from the factory?
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Mirror options
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011 - 10:30:08 AM »
I *think* those three options are it. The only caveat I would add is that apparently (as I learned here) e-bodies never cam with dual remote sport mirrors. The passenger mirror was never remote.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011 - 12:19:14 PM »
Pretty sure that 73s could only be had with the "sport" mirrors. Mine came body color, but Burdar has chrome ones on his 73. Since he's been so correct with every other aspect of his build, I'm gonna assume that his were originally chrome.

At any rate, it should be on the broadcast sheet. Body-colored sport mirrors are called for on mine.
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011 - 12:28:26 PM »
Chrome or body colored sport mirrors is all that was available.  Mine just has a chrome drivers side mirror.

There were a lot of different options in 70-71.  The factory really started to standardise things in 72.  No mirror options, only 1 steering wheel, no pedal dress-up exc.....

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011 - 01:23:56 PM »
My 73 came with a driver's side round mirror, and I'm pretty sure it was unmolested when I got it.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011 - 01:37:00 PM »
did you stick with the round mirrors or go to sport?  What do you think about round vs sport as far as looks go?

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011 - 01:51:25 PM »
Round mirrors weren't available in 73.  Sport mirrors only.

http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=E&cat=E&subcat=33
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011 - 01:56:06 PM by burdar »

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011 - 01:55:16 PM »
I agree with Burdar. I've looked at tons of material on 73s and have never seen anything but sport mirrors on these cars.

ChallengerHKs mirror was probably damaged and replaced at some point, but it didn't leave Hamtramck like that...
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011 - 02:33:29 PM »
I agree with Burdar. I've looked at tons of material on 73s and have never seen anything but sport mirrors on these cars.

ChallengerHKs mirror was probably damaged and replaced at some point, but it didn't leave Hamtramck like that...

Thanks for the info!

Offline kissalien

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011 - 03:53:02 PM »
The data book does not agree. A single manual mirror was standard.
A remote driver's racing mirror was optional, as were dual chrome racing mirrors, and dual painted racing mirrors.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1973/73_Challenger0014.jpg

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011 - 04:14:14 PM »
I've never seen anything other then a sport mirror on a 73.  Those data books were printed early.  They sometimes have bad info.  That data book also says rear swaybars were on 340 cars only.  That's not correct.

I've obviously not seen every 73 that was made so I could be mistaken.  I thought the round mirrors went away after 71.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011 - 04:24:26 PM »
did you stick with the round mirrors or go to sport?  What do you think about round vs sport as far as looks go?

I never cared for the round mirror to begin with, and a couple of years after I got the car someone vandalized it and pulled the mirror out by the roots. I pounded the raised metal down and replaced it with some cheap aftermarket mirrors which looked a lot like the sport mirrors, then I went with factory sport mirrors from a b-body, which are dual remote.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011 - 04:38:48 PM »
ChallengerHK does your DS door panel have a hole in it for the remote?  If it doesn't then that would be a good indicator that the round mirror was available in 73.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011 - 05:23:29 PM »
No hole, negative.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline kissalien

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011 - 05:53:32 PM »
I've never seen anything other then a sport mirror on a 73.  Those data books were printed early.  They sometimes have bad info.  That data book also says rear swaybars were on 340 cars only.  That's not correct.

I've obviously not seen every 73 that was made so I could be mistaken.  I thought the round mirrors went away after 71.

I agree that things change. I have pics of cars with that mirror, but don't have tag info for either one.

http://www.aarta.com/challenger_colors/pictures/1973jf1.jpg
http://www.aarta.com/challenger_colors/pictures/1974ky5.jpg