Author Topic: Ford Motor Company selling New/Old Mustang Bodies  (Read 606 times)

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Ford Motor Company selling New/Old Mustang Bodies
« on: October 31, 2011 - 03:40:10 PM »
Saw this on the net.....http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblog.aspx?feat=62e4d9a0-963a-4caa-9ea7-a4264f3688fa&icid=autos_0034

Sadly we will never see this for the Challenger or Cuda though.  :walkaway:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Re: Ford Motor Company selling New/Old Mustang Bodies
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011 - 03:49:03 PM »
Dont be so sure they wont be available.
I know you can buy bodies for 69 camaros and last I heard the 70 challenger is still in development (was on display at SEMA last year), but I think some have sold, or have they cancelled plans to sell it?
In fact, there is at least one company that can sell you a 69 camaro, titled as a new car, complete for about $75k, or at least that was the price about 3 years ago. As I recall the body alone, "almost" ready for paint was about $14k, plus about $1500 shipping. I even went to the time of researching the pricing to complete one myself, with a nice modern pro touring concept in mind, and I came up with a parts cost and paint/body of about $60k total, plus my assembly labor. I still have my spreadsheet on it around somewhere.  Talk about a waste of hours and hours of my online time. Oh well, at least I learned a little something about camaros. That, and a couple bucks might get me a cup of coffee at coffeebucks  :roflsmiley:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011 - 04:01:04 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011 - 04:10:05 PM »
The Challenger and Cuda bodies very doable.  I have a very good friend that owns a company that does the bodies for another makes and models.  He's been explaining the process to me and asked I go to Taiwan to see the facilities in person.   I've looked over the numbers really close and it can be done.  It's just hard for me to find the time to go.  It will take a lot of time to do it right and I wouldn't do unless it was the best and perfect.  I still might do it, but not this year.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011 - 04:15:03 PM »
This has been floating around for years now? My guess is the current economy has put the brakes on it for now?
http://www.restorationperformance.com/servlet/the-165590/1970-Dodge-Challenger-Replacement/Detail
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011 - 04:17:50 PM »
and when I read about it the other day, I noticed they said it was the same body as the original, with only a "few" modern welding improvements.  :bigsmile:
If I were to build 70 challys and cudas, I would think the market would definitely at least offer an upgrade package to include all the needed reinforcements that time has taught us.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....