Author Topic: ONLY my amp gauge works :P help!  (Read 771 times)

Offline The4ork

ONLY my amp gauge works :P help!
« on: November 02, 2011 - 12:38:56 PM »
got the car fired up and driving for the first time since i bought it. but there isnt a single working gauge except the amp gauge. LOL

the speedo looks like it just needs the cable hooked up. its hooked to the gauge but the PO swapped in a 4spd manual so maybe its not tied to the trans yet.

a tach would be really nice to have!
so would a h20 temp gauge. but as it turns out i also dont have a sender for this installed! does anyone have a link to where i can buy a new one?
oil pressure is inop
fuel gauge is inop

almost seems like none of the gauges are powered up.

is there a diagram on how each one is wired? maybe the ground isnt connected or needs cleaning? maybe there is a relay that controls the power that is stuck off?
also the lights dont work in the gauges either.

looked under the dash to try and trace some wires....  :clueless: lots of splices over the years.

oh yeah its a 72 cuda rally

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
Re: ONLY my amp gauge works :P help!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011 - 04:18:25 PM »
Oil, temp and gas are all on the same power circuit.

Basically 12v goes into a voltage limiter mounted to the back of the gauge cluster and then the stepped down current goes to these gauges. Quite possible that the voltage limiter went bad. It's a known weak link.

You should be able to find a temp sensor just about anywhere. (oil sending unit, too)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: ONLY my amp gauge works :P help!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011 - 05:24:40 PM »

a tach would be really nice to have!
so would a h20 temp gauge. but as it turns out i also dont have a sender for this installed! does anyone have a link to where i can buy a new one?
oil pressure is inop
fuel gauge is inop

From Rock Auto website:
1972 DODGE CHALLENGER 5.2L 318cid V8
Electrical-Switch & Relay : Temperature SwitchRelated Parts 
ORIGINAL ENGINE MANAGEMENT Part # 8210 {#3173363, 3177594, 3179953, C3AZ10884B, C5EH10884B, D1FZ10884B, GTR114} (Only 9 Remaining)
w/ Gauge   $3.59

If your dash was a non-rallye, you have to add a wire from the coil negative to the tach.

If your tach and gauges are not working, and you had a rallye cluster originally, it sounds like you aren't getting any power to the dash or the limiter is bad like Gec mentioned, but your tach would work.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0