Author Topic: Map Light Ground Strap  (Read 827 times)

Offline Gumby

Map Light Ground Strap
« on: November 05, 2011 - 04:36:21 PM »
I installed a map light and switch/bezel today. Wiring plugged right in. Thanks for all the posts and pictures here. But where in the heck does the ground strap attatch to? I can't figure it out. The end with the big hole went on the switch assy up under the dash, between the dash and the switch. Where does the other end go? Thanks. :bigsmile:
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Map Light Ground Strap
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011 - 07:14:56 PM »
did your car come with air?  I guess so.  Car with air had a plastic trim under the dash to hide the heaterbox.  Both light and switch were mounted to the trim. The groundstrap is between switch and trim on one side and between trim and dash on the other.

*** Bart ***

Offline Gumby

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011 - 07:58:14 PM »
My car came with air. I do not have that trim piece. Thank you!!! I could not fathom why one would need a ground strap, as the Map light is plastic and all wiring is hooked directly to it. My car probably had that piece, but now does not. Thanks again.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline chaps70rt

• 70 Challenger R/T Hardtop in Progress (Canada)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012 - 11:17:29 PM »
Ground strap is to connect the switch to the metal dash to provide ground  ..... wiring only provides the positive feed.  Many of the screws in the dash provide the same .....
White 1970 Challenger R/T
440 - 4BBL - Shaker
Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge RAM 1500
Stouffville, Ontario Canada