Author Topic: a/c evaporator  (Read 1036 times)

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
a/c evaporator
« on: November 10, 2011 - 09:58:12 PM »
Okay a/c guys    Rebuilding my heater box for the cuda. I am going to have the evap.
tested for leaks. If all is good, what can I use to clean out the inside? I plan on sealing it
up until I can complete the a/c line hook up connections. I was thinking acetone?

Thanks
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
Re: a/c evaporator
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011 - 05:56:16 PM »
Most times the Evaporator isn't all that dirty inside unless a compressor has come apart and sent metal through the system, but a good idea as you know to clean it out. I would use the local auto parts store "Flush" for A/C systems instead. Just in case the Acetone wants to "Attack" the aluminum for whatever reason..

Make sure you kinda blow a little A/C (PAG) oil through it to help protect it until ready for use if it's gonna sit any length of time. Also, make sure you cap off the ends really well..
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Chilly

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011 - 03:42:39 PM »
 i used Brake parts cleaner. I poured it in and swished it around a few times, then dumped out. I did this a couple of times then I blew out with air. I put oil in to use w/134a freon before putting back in car.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011 - 01:58:21 PM »
I bought a quart of A\C flush from an auto parts store like AutoZone. I laid down the evaporator, lines up, then filled it up with the liquid then blew it out with air over a white rag to see if any dirt came out.   Smelled like mineral spirits though so I'll be using that next time instead.

Make sure that you blow towards the small orifices (opposite freon flow) to clean out any clogged ones.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0