Author Topic: US Car Tool  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Fastd

US Car Tool
« on: November 17, 2011 - 06:12:28 PM »
Has any one installed this complete package:
70-74 Dodge Challenger E Body Total Chassis Stiffening Pack 

Part Number USCT1M1001

Description
A total unibody stiffening package for your 1970-74 Dodge Challenger. Includes cnc machine cut Frame Connectors, a complete set of front & rear Torque Boxes, Inner fender Braces, Lower Core support frame brace and a Bolt-in Drive Shaft Loop. This is a complete chassis stiffening package that will add an incredible amount of rigidity and structure to your Challenger unibody.

here is link with picture:
https://store.uscartool.com/70-74-Dodge-Challenger-E-Body-Total-Chassis-Stiffening-Pack_p_12.html

Is this the best kit out there?
How is the quality?
Concerns during installation?

Anu comments welcome.
Todd

1970 Dodge Challenger (pro-touring build)
1999 Dodge Durango
2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi (Wifes)

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
Re: US Car Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011 - 07:21:31 PM »
I did the frame connectors, Some fitting was required . I made my own core and innerfender braces. I should have used thier torque boxes, The ones from PG classics required a great deal of trimming.
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline edl94

• She Cuda
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011 - 10:46:31 PM »
I used their sub frame connectors and torque boxes. A little fitting but ended up a great fit. Overall I like their products.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011 - 12:51:49 AM »
Got their frame connectors on the Chally.  Took many many hours for it to get trimmed to fit right.  Not sure if XV's are any better.

Is it me, or $900 seems like quite a bit for US' kit?
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Fastd

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011 - 02:33:42 AM »
$900.00 Is a lot. When I look at the individual pieces, I know the connectors and torque boxes and fender braces I will need as my goal is 500+ HP to the rear wheels. I do not think I need the Drive shaft loop! and I may be able to have a core support made. 
Todd

1970 Dodge Challenger (pro-touring build)
1999 Dodge Durango
2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi (Wifes)

Offline rhamson

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011 - 08:45:17 AM »
I also bought their kit and found it fit pretty well.  There were no istructions except for the drive shaft loop and it took awhile to figure out what the bushings were for until I called up about the front core support.  They were to replace the front rubber bushings in the leaf springs.  Make sure you specify whether or not you will be using a stock radiator as the front core support needs a 2-1/2" spacer kit to make it fit.  They assumed I was replacing the radiator with a modine style radiator and never sent them even after I asked.  I fabricated my own and was glad I did as I had to do them in two peices so they could be welded around the back where there is no access. :bigsmile:

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012 - 12:41:39 AM »
Sorry to bring an old post back to life but I am curious about this spacer kit. I just got my core support from them and was test fitting it tonight. I am leaving the factory support in and cutting as required then welding to the tubular support and am using a top and bottom tank radiator like factory. Do you have any pics of your custom kit you made?

I also bought their kit and found it fit pretty well.  There were no istructions except for the drive shaft loop and it took awhile to figure out what the bushings were for until I called up about the front core support.  They were to replace the front rubber bushings in the leaf springs.  Make sure you specify whether or not you will be using a stock radiator as the front core support needs a 2-1/2" spacer kit to make it fit.  They assumed I was replacing the radiator with a modine style radiator and never sent them even after I asked.  I fabricated my own and was glad I did as I had to do them in two peices so they could be welded around the back where there is no access. :bigsmile:
David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012 - 07:42:13 PM »
Sorry to bring an old post back to life but I am curious about this spacer kit. I just got my core support from them and was test fitting it tonight. I am leaving the factory support in and cutting as required then welding to the tubular support and am using a top and bottom tank radiator like factory. Do you have any pics of your custom kit you made?

I don't remember cutting anything when I installed their lower tubular rad support on 69 Dart last year,I tucked it inside the stock rad support. Not sure how it would compare to Challenger.
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline rhamson

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012 - 10:34:58 AM »
I took a piece of 2" square tube and sliced it down one side extending that flat side down along the frame. I then welded the tube from the inside while the piece was open.  I also welded it on the outside where I could get to it.  I welded a square top that was fitted to the open end of the tube to the core support tube.  Once I had cut the stock sheet metal core support around the new tube core support I welded the square tube shut. This worked pretty well for me and it seems to be very strong and I can still use a stock style radiator.

Offline rhamson

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012 - 10:42:52 AM »
I don't remember cutting anything when I installed their lower tubular rad support on 69 Dart last year,I tucked it inside the stock rad support. Not sure how it would compare to Challenger.
I have a '72 Challenger and I called them when I noticed the possible conflict.  They said that the stock radiator would not go back into the same location unless the 2" extensions were used and the support went under the stock core support.  They suggested getting an aftermarket modine style radiator which is what a lot of guys do anyway.  If you look at  any Challenger core support it closely surrounds the bottom of the radiator which is evident when you go to drain it and the coolant usually winds up all over the place.  They were going to send the extensions to me at no charge but they never arrived so I fabricated my own.

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012 - 03:27:17 PM »
I have a '72 Challenger and I called them when I noticed the possible conflict.  They said that the stock radiator would not go back into the same location unless the 2" extensions were used and the support went under the stock core support.  They suggested getting an aftermarket modine style radiator which is what a lot of guys do anyway.  If you look at  any Challenger core support it closely surrounds the bottom of the radiator which is evident when you go to drain it and the coolant usually winds up all over the place.  They were going to send the extensions to me at no charge but they never arrived so I fabricated my own.

I am running the Champion radiator from Gary so maybe that is enough difference as I am not seeing a clearance problem on mine. Seems that a 2" extension would lower it way too much. As it looks now I can cut the front and sides of the outer edges of the factory support, run it under the front half of the support and weld them together too, like it shows on uscartool web site or I can cut some off the back and bottom on the edges and mount it tight against the back edge of the factory support and tack it together there too.
David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline rhamson

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012 - 06:23:56 AM »
I am running the Champion radiator from Gary so maybe that is enough difference as I am not seeing a clearance problem on mine. Seems that a 2" extension would lower it way too much. As it looks now I can cut the front and sides of the outer edges of the factory support, run it under the front half of the support and weld them together too, like it shows on uscartool web site or I can cut some off the back and bottom on the edges and mount it tight against the back edge of the factory support and tack it together there too.
If you mean that the modine style (tanks on the side) is the radiator you are using then according to the guy at US Cartool it would work out fine.  But if you are using the traditional radiator (tanks on the top and bottom) then you would need to extend the support under the existion core support. This is from them.

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012 - 05:58:41 PM »
If you mean that the modine style (tanks on the side) is the radiator you are using then according to the guy at US Cartool it would work out fine.  But if you are using the traditional radiator (tanks on the top and bottom) then you would need to extend the support under the existion core support. This is from them.

I am running top and bottom tanks, I emailed US Car tool about it and have gotten no response. Weird that once I ordered it was almost instant emails updating the shipment and it showed up quickly but no follow up support at all. I decided I did not want to create a new low point under the car by extending it 1 1/2-2" so I did some trimming of the factory support so I could mount it tight behind and attached to the factory support. Seemed if I were to try and cut the sides off the factory support and run completely underneath it then the support would be so low and right in the front and I want to try to keep the bottom of the K frame as my low point once I swap headers. I will post some pics soon of my install.
David - In Georgia

Offline rhamson

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012 - 08:30:53 AM »
I am running top and bottom tanks, I emailed US Car tool about it and have gotten no response. Weird that once I ordered it was almost instant emails updating the shipment and it showed up quickly but no follow up support at all. I decided I did not want to create a new low point under the car by extending it 1 1/2-2" so I did some trimming of the factory support so I could mount it tight behind and attached to the factory support. Seemed if I were to try and cut the sides off the factory support and run completely underneath it then the support would be so low and right in the front and I want to try to keep the bottom of the K frame as my low point once I swap headers. I will post some pics soon of my install.
Yeah I emailed them too and got the same response.  I called them and thats when I got a response but no follow up with the extention blocks shipment.  If you are mounting yours behind the stock support I don't see how it would hurt.  But if there are other components such as a bottom pulley or fan shroud involved I would test fit them before welding the support in permanently.

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012 - 03:58:21 PM »
Yeah I emailed them too and got the same response.  I called them and thats when I got a response but no follow up with the extention blocks shipment.  If you are mounting yours behind the stock support I don't see how it would hurt.  But if there are other components such as a bottom pulley or fan shroud involved I would test fit them before welding the support in permanently.

I did test fit and all cleared well. May not be the prettiest welds but came out good for a novice.
David - In Georgia