Author Topic: Original speaker harness  (Read 11611 times)

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
Original speaker harness
« on: November 18, 2011 - 11:46:59 PM »
I picked up a pair of 3.5 inch speakers and the harness from a 1969 300.  this was attached to the speaker harness. can anyone tell me what it is:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011 - 11:52:37 PM by EB3-GranCoupe »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Original speaker harness
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011 - 08:42:18 AM »
crossover  :thumbsup:
*** Bart ***

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011 - 04:00:25 PM »
what is the function of a crossover?  i'm a little slow  :clueless:

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011 - 04:24:49 PM »
It mixes/splits the channels.  Basically it puts the majority of the sound out the center channel and then lesser sound to the other speakers.

This gives a pretty basic overview: http://www.ehow.com/about_5108072_car-audio-crossover.html

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011 - 12:20:21 PM »
thanks jamie!  so, after reading that, i am guessing that the bass frequencies go to the 4x10 in the middle, and the 3.5's act as tweeters?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011 - 12:31:03 PM »
thanks jamie!  so, after reading that, i am guessing that the bass frequencies go to the 4x10 in the middle, and the 3.5's act as tweeters?

You got it! Those 3.5 speakers can't handle the low frequencies.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011 - 11:02:32 PM »
thanks MEK!

Offline chaps70rt

• 70 Challenger R/T Hardtop in Progress (Canada)
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011 - 11:00:33 PM »
Just reviewing this thread and I am about to wire up an original AM/FM radio (stereo).  I presumed that I should go with the crossover to limit the bass frequencies to the front corner speakers (even though I went with Infinity replacements).  From what I can tell in the 1970 Service Manual, the four prong plug with the red, blue, violet, green is the connector to feed the rear speakers ????   Did they ever go with two rear speakers from the factory??   I am hoping so.......   
If the above is true, what are each of the above four colours supposed to connect with??   Red and blue for RR and violet and green for RL?  Or ....???

I don't believe that I have the original speaker harness for the rear speakers, so I decided to go with an after market wire harness to feed the two rear speakers.   These have been wired into my new Infinity 6x9's and are now wired all the way to the front.   Problem is what to connect with each colour??

I also have the Rear Speaker control, but don't know where is is supposed to connect?  May be from two different years?

Thoughts or ideas how to incorporate the original crossover with the 5 speaker set up would be much appreciated!!   Or a wire schematic with the colour codes explained using the crossover and rear speaker control.

Thanks .... CHAPS
White 1970 Challenger R/T
440 - 4BBL - Shaker
Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge RAM 1500
Stouffville, Ontario Canada

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011 - 06:24:52 AM »
Here is what I learned when I took my aftermarket radio out and went to a stock configuration

I believe it was possible to have 1,2,3, or 5 speakers in the car from the factory.
1 = Single front
2 = Single font, single rear (AM with a rear speaker knob)
3 = 3 front speakers (AM/FM no rear speaker knob)
5 = 3 front, 2 rear (AM/FM with a rear speaker knob).

Both the 3 and 5 speaker versions were stereo and used a cross over box. The cross over box is the same for all configurations for all years,
The 2 and 5 speaker versions used a rear speaker fader knob.  However, the 2 speaker fader and the 5 speaker fader are different (different number of wires etc). The 5 speaker knob will have a short set of wires and go to a 6 pin connector.  The 2 speaker fader does not have 6 connections and the connector for mine was located behind the driver's kick panel.

The 4 wire harness to the rear is for two speakers, 2 wires to the left, 2 to the right.  I can't remember which is which but you should be able to figure it out with simple trial and error using the L/R balance.

I ended up wiring my car as a 5 speaker, even through I have only 1 in the front.  I just left the L/R front connections empty.
Here are the best diagrams I found:

I got them from this thread over on moparts:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5415364&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

You need to log in to see the pictures but they have images of a number of the components involved.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011 - 11:54:43 AM »
Excellent!!

Thanks Jamie!   :cheers:

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011 - 12:29:58 PM »
I currently have Blue/Violet wired to the driver's rear and Green/Red wired to the Passenger Rear

Also here is a picture of the 2 speaker harness (AM with rear fader)

You can see the single pot fader is part of the harness, unlike the 5 speaker harness where the fader has 2 pots and is connected to the harness by a 6 wire connector (but only 5 wires are used if I remember correctly).

Offline chaps70rt

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011 - 10:51:21 PM »
Wow .... this is unbelievable.  I have been racking my brain to try and sort this out over the past few months and here it is.

Jamiez ..... thanks a ton.   

So ... is the rear speaker control somewhat redundant .... or does it actually have a purpose if running 5 speakers??  The reason I ask is that if the crossover box is limiting the lower frequencies to the front speakers, then the back ones should be left to run full volume and frequency ..... true?   Of course then there is the center speaker.  Is it left, right or a blend of the two front speakers??

Thanks again guys .... amazing.
440 - 4BBL - Shaker

Offline chaps70rt

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011 - 10:59:19 PM »
Jamiez .... I have the correct dual pot rear speaker knob for the set up you are referring to (Rear Speaker control).   Does this still permit Left and Right (stereo) separation in the back speakers??

Thanks again for the info.

CHAPS
440 - 4BBL - Shaker

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011 - 04:04:09 AM »
The rear speaker knob controls the volume to the rear. It works in 5 speaker config. I know the left/right balance works, but whether it is true stereo, my hearing isn't good enough to say, and I don't have the l/r fronts in my config to compare it too.

I do know even in 5 speaker mode, the front three are supposed to split with the highs going l/r and the lows going center.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011 - 04:18:31 PM »
I went out to my car and checked...I set it up so only the rear speakers were going.  They seemed to be all frequencies.  The rear speaker knob just controls volume front to back.

The rears in my car are aftermarket replacements that a previous owner had in there, I'm not sure how they compare to stock.