Author Topic: 72 cuda vent cable mounting  (Read 1208 times)

Offline cuda346pk

72 cuda vent cable mounting
« on: November 20, 2011 - 11:44:28 PM »
Ok guys, I have received my car and been driving the hell out of her for the past 3 weeks, loving it!!! Now the questions start. I have already ordered $400.00 worth of parts from year one, should almost fill a small grocery bag I bet, and another hundred or so from eBay. I got an old drivers side vent box for non ac car and a cable from someone different. Upon looking at everything it appeared to me that I got the incorrect cable. The seller on eBay says it is correct. Which cable is the shorter one? On mine the passenger side is complete and hooked up but drivers box is gone and cable there has been cut. When comparing the cables to the new one, it matches my passenger side cable and the cut drivers side is still at least an inch longer. the seller says mine may be mounted incorrectly so I started looking for pics but can't seem to find many. My vent cables are mounted below the ashtray with the drivers on left and passengers on right. There are more holes under dash to mount other things and one pair under the clock on rally dash that matches up but from what I have seen this is where the choke cable goes. Did the guys who reassembled this car put it back wrong or is the seller full of it?
Another interior question, how does the console on a 4 speed mount? Is it really only the 2 screws in the storage compartment that does it? That is all I found and upon tracking down the 2nd owner of the car he told me he added the console so it is not original and I wondered if there were brackets missing.
Last interior question I can think of right now is regarding remounting the plate on top of the pistol grip shifter, mine was very loose so I popped it off for now. I was thinking of using a layer of silicone under it for cushion and try to reflatten the metal tabs like it appears the factory had done originally to tighten it into place. Does this sound like the solution? I am betting more have dealt with this. If so what would be recommended to flatten the metal with to tighten it up?
I think that is all for interior at this moment.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011 - 11:50:46 PM by dasmith0 »
David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline cuda346pk

Re: 72 cuda vent cable mounting
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011 - 12:59:45 AM »
Ok I see that there should be brackets for the console and the PO had just used long screws into the tunnel, appears AMD makes repro brackets. Still curious on inputs for the vent cable mounting. everything I have seen looks like mine is mounted correctly and the ebay seller is incorrect but I could be wrong.
David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011 - 08:33:08 AM »
this may help with the cables, seems to me the drivers side would be longer.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=79497.msg799782#msg799782
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011 - 08:35:02 AM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011 - 04:39:48 PM »
this may help with the cables, seems to me the drivers side would be longer.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=79497.msg799782#msg799782

Yes I have that pic in my 72 manual, nice how they use alot of 70 pics in later manuals. I thought it should be longer too based on that and all other pics I can find show the cables both mounted under the ashtray. I am guessing the other holes I located are for choke cable and maybe still there from the 70-71 shaker cable setups.  I have yet to hear again from the seller regarding it but he said last time that the drivers was definitely the shorter cable and must be mounted in the incorrect location. I am out of town right now so when I get back tomorrow I am going to spend some time checking it out further to make sure, plus a couple year one boxes have shown up at my door so I have some goodies to play with now :naughty:
David - In Georgia