Author Topic: 70 Challenger console  (Read 4151 times)

Offline 06Daytona

70 Challenger console
« on: November 27, 2011 - 09:35:29 AM »
The Challenger I just bought originally had a center console, but it doesn't now. I have half a dozen console kicking around here and I'm going to piece one together out of all the best remaining parts. Did the 70 Challenger have the same style console as the Cuda with the seat belt holder or did it have the ashtray style? I have a couple of 70 console tops, a couple of 71s without the screw beside the shifter but with the ashtray and a couple later model ones with the screw hole and the ashtray.
1972 Cuda 340 4 barrel 4 speed that looks like a 71
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (Kidmobile)
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1970 Challenger 440/727 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster 340/auto (Making it Panther Pink for the wife)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)
In desperate need of more property for my growing Mopar family

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
Re: 70 Challenger console
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011 - 10:31:42 AM »
From what I got from another thread and my own 70 Challenger, the 70-ies had the seatbelt holder while the later models got an ashtray. :thumbsup:
1970 Challenger RT/SE 383

Add yourself here and then find others on the map

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011 - 11:55:56 AM »
Seat belt holder for sure!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011 - 12:48:06 PM »
Seat belt holder for sure!
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I am wondering how everybody else is solving the "issue" of there being two buckles per seat, but the holder only has space for two buckles in total?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011 - 01:42:25 PM »
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I am wondering how everybody else is solving the "issue" of there being two buckles per seat, but the holder only has space for two buckles in total?

The slot holds the female ends of the buckles. The male buckles come from the outer area of the car.

Does that make sense??

The female ends are in the center of the passengers compartment.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011 - 01:45:12 PM by MEK-Dangerfield »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011 - 05:27:07 PM »
The slot holds the female ends of the buckles. The male buckles come from the outer area of the car.

Does that make sense??

The female ends are in the center of the passengers compartment.
Hm, well, I have two female buckles, coming from the center, per passenger:
One for the retractable belly-belt coming from the outer side of the bucket seat, and...
One for the chest belt, the belt hanging from the roof just behind and on the outside of the bucket seat.

Is that not the standard belt setup?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011 - 06:46:35 PM »
Hm, well, I have two female buckles, coming from the center, per passenger:
One for the retractable belly-belt coming from the outer side of the bucket seat, and...
One for the chest belt, the belt hanging from the roof just behind and on the outside of the bucket seat.

Is that not the standard belt setup?

It's for the rear seat belts , not the front. :wave:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011 - 08:06:22 PM »
It's for the rear seat belts , not the front. :wave:

But the rear seatbelts are also complete, both ends coming out from the rear bench. :clueless:

I have two male and female for the back seats, emerging from the back bench, suitable to wrap around the lap if you're sitting in the rear. Then two female each for the bucket seats, with one male coming from the other side of the bucket seat, retractable, and one male hanging from the roof, non-retractable, just behind and to the side of the head. I think I'll have to take pictures tomorrow. ;D

Edit:
On this page, the photo of the interior shows how my female parts also look, per bucket seat:
http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/dodge/dodge-00014.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011 - 08:17:29 PM by Padawan »

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011 - 08:05:48 PM »
Here's a photo where you see the belt hanging from the roof (male end 1) and the retracted belt on the outside of the bucket seat (male end 2). The rear seat belt (male end) is also visible. Is this not the standard belt setup? I'll have to find a nice solution to store the double-female-buckets, currently I hang them over the middle console but then I can't open the compartment door. :sly:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-oxIVk3aIDF8/TssnjlLq1HI/AAAAAAAAAfY/2Puek8flL9E/s800/IMG_0210.jpg

Offline spamtank

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011 - 08:47:55 PM »
Here's a photo where you see the belt hanging from the roof (male end 1) and the retracted belt on the outside of the bucket seat (male end 2). The rear seat belt (male end) is also visible. Is this not the standard belt setup? I'll have to find a nice solution to store the double-female-buckets, currently I hang them over the middle console but then I can't open the compartment door. :sly:

That's the same configuration as my 70 SE.  I get the distinct feeling that shoulder belts were an after thought or a late breaking Ralf Nader Safety requirement in 1969.  I keep one set of the front buckles in the holders, and if I want to car to look nice, I'll leave the other set on the seats. 

There's no way the rear belts would reach the console, unless you cut them off and wanted a place to store them.   :poopoke:
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline Matt70

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011 - 08:53:40 PM »
The front shoulder belt should be held to the headliner by a clip, the female (inside) end of the front belts go in the console holder. What other "female" end is there?   :dunno:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011 - 10:19:50 PM »
That's the same configuration as my 70 SE.  I get the distinct feeling that shoulder belts were an after thought or a late breaking Ralf Nader Safety requirement in 1969.  I keep one set of the front buckles in the holders, and if I want to car to look nice, I'll leave the other set on the seats.
Oh well, so it is indeed not thoroughly thought through, 2 holders for 4 buckles. :walkaway:

The front shoulder belt should be held to the headliner by a clip, the female (inside) end of the front belts go in the console holder. What other "female" end is there? :dunno:
I'm missing the headliner clips, will take care of that once I re-glue the headliner, it hangs down in the center. :P The second female is for the lap belt, one belt around the lap, one over the shoulders, each needs a female counterpart so that there are 4 females for the bucket seats, but only 2 storage spaces. :villagers:

Allright, a minor issue indeed, thanks for the input everyone!

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011 - 08:15:29 PM »
The front shoulder belt should be held to the headliner by a clip, the female (inside) end of the front belts go in the console holder. What other "female" end is there?   :dunno:
:iagree:
The shoulder belts are held up to the headliner just inboard of the window by metal clips with plastic trim pieces covering them. In my case, the shoulder belts are never used and stay tucked away.  ::)
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011 - 09:19:35 PM »
never made sense to me either , 4 buckles & only 2 fit in the console

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t