Author Topic: New tachometer circuit board - anyone tried them?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline cuda346pk

New tachometer circuit board - anyone tried them?
« on: November 27, 2011 - 10:00:08 PM »
I am looking to replace the circuit board and hopefully revive my old 8000 rpm rallye tach. Anyone used one of the R-T-engineering solid state tach kits or the Mr Heaterbox ones out of Canada from eBay? Seems to be the same basic setup for both and within $10 so just curious of others results with them before I ordered.
David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
Re: New tachometer circuit board - anyone tried them?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011 - 11:39:45 PM »
I installed the DashWorx (RT Eng) board. Some soldering. MUST connect the correct wires, It has two trim potentiometers. Hooked up the tach and an instrument and switched it to RPM mode. Fired up the 440. Checked the instrument and adjusted the tach to read the same as the instrument.
Put the dash back together. Have run it for two years now. Works really well.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011 - 11:41:32 PM by Giveitawack »

Offline 383DART

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011 - 01:18:54 PM »
I think dash worx is gone.called two weeks in a row.day or night no one is home !!. nice way to run a company.

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011 - 02:40:36 PM »
I think dash worx is gone.called two weeks in a row.day or night no one is home !!. nice way to run a company.

I got a quick response from email last night, like within 2 hours and I sent my message at 8pm EST. Now I am trying to figure out if either board will work with my ignigiton setup. I am running an older Allison,(now Crane) XR3000 points to electronic conversion. It appears it is not a multi spark like the msd and this is the response I got from Mr Heaterbox on eBay -
"Hi David, the 'msd' board is used for a LOW VOLTAGE tach signal input (12v max) usually connected to a box output on an ignition box. The 'non-msd' is for the standard high voltage application on coil negative (signal is actually a 200V pulse spike on the coil terminal). So if your crane outputs a 12 v square wave whose frequency changes with rpm the msd flavour will work fine for you. Hope that helps. -Brent"

I am going to call Crane Cams later to see if they can answer the question but does anyone here know the answer or how to tell?
David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline edl94

• She Cuda
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011 - 09:43:23 PM »
 I installed a DashWorx board in my fathers challenger. Before the tach was reading way high, after install and adjustement it now reads correctly but is slow to get there. The board is great but I should have sent the whole tach out for a rebuild. 40 year old gauges get worn out I guess.

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011 - 12:29:16 AM »
I installed a DashWorx board in my fathers challenger. Before the tach was reading way high, after install and adjustement it now reads correctly but is slow to get there. The board is great but I should have sent the whole tach out for a rebuild. 40 year old gauges get worn out I guess.
I read on their FAQ I think, maybe the installation stuff that there is some kind of heavy grease dried on the pivots on some tachs causing the slow readings, he gives instructions for the cure, it involves a little more teardown, if I remember correctly you have to drill out front rivets to access the pivot, clean grease off manually and use slick 50 to relube. May be your problem too. I will see once I get mine apart.

I am running an older Allison,(now Crane) XR3000 points to electronic conversion. It appears it is not a multi spark like the msd and this is the response I got from Mr Heaterbox on eBay -
"Hi David, the 'msd' board is used for a LOW VOLTAGE tach signal input (12v max) usually connected to a box output on an ignition box. The 'non-msd' is for the standard high voltage application on coil negative (signal is actually a 200V pulse spike on the coil terminal). So if your crane outputs a 12 v square wave whose frequency changes with rpm the msd flavour will work fine for you. Hope that helps. -Brent"

I am going to call Crane Cams later to see if they can answer the question but does anyone here know the answer or how to tell?

Crane has changed the units since buying the rights and manufacturing them however the tech guy said it was msd style  based on the email above stating having a 12v square wave signal and said it was induction not multi spark. Anyone know how I can verify for sure what mine is as I don't want to order the wrong board.
David - In Georgia