Author Topic: Missing piece off my convertible frame.  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Gus cuda

Missing piece off my convertible frame.
« on: November 29, 2011 - 09:21:12 PM »
I have a 70 cuda that is missing a piece off the convertible top. I am posting an attachment with this post. It is the piece that keeps the rear quarter window in track as it goes up into the top. It is located to the rear of the window. Can anybody help me with this as to what it is called and if and where i can get one without buying a whole frame. Thanks Gus

Offline Gus cuda

Re: Missing piece off my convertible frame.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011 - 09:22:27 PM »
Happy to see it took this time. Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline Gus cuda

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011 - 08:34:58 PM »
This is gonna be tough to find im sure. I guess ill be spending alot of time in the swap meet side of things at carlisle and the nats from now on instead of drooling over the cars so much.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011 - 08:21:28 PM »
I'm not sure what you are pointing to.  Can you get the pic with a flash on?
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Gus cuda

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011 - 05:58:01 AM »
Will do! It looks to be part of the top frame, maybe. Its about 2 inches wide and about a foot tall. If you look on your car it will be for the quarter window drivers side. It is for the window trac/seal that lookes to glue or screw into the top frame towards the rear of the car. Sorry but thats the best explanation i can give. It is metal by the way, with the felt and rubber window stripping. I will try to get a better pic. Thx for your reply.

Offline acudanut

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011 - 10:24:32 AM »
I'm not sure what you are pointing to.  Can you get the pic with a flash on?
x2.

Offline Gus cuda

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011 - 01:33:18 PM »
Got to get with the wife on this one. We will get the car outside and snap a pic with a camera. Will be up soon, maybe tommorow. Thx Gus

Offline larry4406

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011 - 04:57:52 PM »
Can you make a copy (reverse) of the one of the other side?

Offline Gus cuda

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011 - 09:21:11 PM »
Ok guys, i managed to get a few shots with a camera. The first is of the passenger side with the piece in place, and the other is of the drivers side where the piece is missing.

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011 - 10:02:11 PM »
I'm thinking it's part of the rubber weatherstripping that attaches to the metal frame?  It has a kind of channel that holds the glass when it's up.  I was able to score a set of new replacements at Carlisle this year.  I'm sure you can order them online as well.  I think this is the Year One link for the kit:

https://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?pid=MR369SET&c=0&e=0&hid=120FW15679&cat=1&iMode=4&trk=1
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline Gus cuda

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011 - 11:08:34 PM »
Thx jesus h chrysler, im thinking you may be right. I wish year one had a picture of this kit so i could look at it and determine if it is what i need. $199 is alot of money to spend and the piece not be there. I am new to these old cars and i have never dealt with any of the restoration dealers. Do you think i could call year one or any of the other dealers and actually talk to someone who knows what they are talking about? By the looks of the frame it appears the channel holding the window track/seal is held in place by glue?

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011 - 11:13:33 PM »
I just posted the Year One link to let you know it's out there and maybe get a part number.  I'm sure there are a few vendors both on this board or the internet that can get you pics and specs.  Like I said I got mine at Carlisle and only because I could hold it in my hand and compare to the piece I took off the car.  My rubber had gotten so hard and rotted it was no longer flexible and felt like plastic.  The new stuff is night and day better.  Now I wish I didn't throw the packaging away or I'd have a vendor to point you to.
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011 - 10:25:59 AM »
I just dug into my convertible to look at where you are pointing.  There is a zinc covered metal track that holds the weatherstrip.  It is shaped so that the weatherstip locks into it and stays in place.  Yours looks like it has gone bad as in rusted.  Is this what you are missing?
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Gus cuda

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011 - 10:44:26 AM »
6-pack, thx for your reply. I think you are exactly right. I am missing the whole piece. Im guessing this is gonna be a tough find. Any idea of what this is called or where would be the place to call to try to find this?

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011 - 11:55:43 AM »
Here's pics of the convertible weatherstripping kit I bought from Van's at the Nat's a few years ago. Pretty sure it was $140.00 and comes with all the pieces except the A-pillar weatherstrips. The last one is of my old dry rotted 1/4 window weatherstripping.

I'm looking hard at your picture of the left side and it looks to me that the metal channel IS there and all you need is the rubber  :dunno:  Do you see 3 self tapping Philips screws there?

John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon