Author Topic: Anyone interested in the new Dodge Dart?  (Read 6977 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Anyone interested in the new Dodge Dart?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012 - 08:07:03 AM »
I agree. A "Dart" with European "styling?" No thanks!
Now here is a (real) Dart I would be interested in:

Nice article!  0-60 in 5.9 seconds.  Pretty quick but imagine how fast it would be if it could get traction off the line, not using skinny bias ply tires...
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Fleet 500

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012 - 03:56:23 PM »
Nice article!  0-60 in 5.9 seconds.  Pretty quick but imagine how fast it would be if it could get traction off the line, not using skinny bias ply tires...
And the 1/4 mile time/speed was even more impressive (12.7 seconds @ 112 mph).
The testers did put on some wider (bias play) tires, though. They said the standard E70x14" tires were so bad for getting traction, that they didn't even try to run a 1/4 mile with them.

I keep wondering what it would have run with a bigger carb, modern tires and a 3.91:1 axle ratio. Probably low-12s!

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012 - 01:42:09 PM »
My mother drove a 71 Dart Swinger for several years back in the 70's.  I remember thinking then that it was basically a tin can on wheels.  Not a lot of extra sheet metal on those cars back then, I'm sure that's why they made such fast drag cars. 

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012 - 02:27:06 PM »
agree. A "Dart" with European "styling?" No thanks!
Now here is a (real) Dart I would be interested in:
agree.

I like these cars. My wife's cousin bought one  new , a 69, ,this same color but with a 4 speed 340 and it was really fast--- still is as he has kept the car.  He would prowl for Corvettes and beat most of them.   PK
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012 - 03:16:39 PM by Skunkworks Challenger »
The Brewmaster

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012 - 04:44:38 PM »
They should have called it the Dodge Fart.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012 - 06:12:11 PM »
They should have called it the Dodge Fart.

hehe
like the new ugly nissans that I call the puke (juke), and the pube (cube)

Although I hope they sell a million, sorry to say that Dodge just doesnt make ANYTHING that I want in my driveway today, except MAYBE an SRT Charger. Even then, there are better choices out there for the money.

and PS, I dont think the viper is under the Dodge moniker anymore.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012 - 06:16:29 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012 - 06:39:09 PM »
This April we will all be wanting a new Dodge... urr .. I'm mean SRT.  Why Dodge dropped the Dodge name on the Viper is beyond me.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012 - 06:47:56 PM »
Sadly the look is not MOPAR, and just does not have the same feel we know and love .

The new DEMON was a bad-ass lil ride
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012 - 07:06:31 PM »
hehe
like the new ugly nissans that I call the puke (juke), and the pube (cube)

Don't forget the Moron-O  (Murano).  NIce SUV, weird name...

This April we will all be wanting a new Dodge... urr .. I'm mean SRT.  Why Dodge dropped the Dodge name on the Viper is beyond me.

I wonder if they want to make the Viper a stand alone car company, to distance it from Dodge.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012 - 07:39:19 PM »
I'm surprised they did not rename it the dodge Colt with the 4 cylinder and all. My grandma drove one of those through most of the 80's.

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012 - 08:32:39 PM »
I'm surprised they did not rename it the dodge Colt with the 4 cylinder and all. My grandma drove one of those through most of the 80's.

Colt's are cool.  I had a good friend in high school that had a Colt.  It had a four cylinder Hemi under the hood.  He really liked to tell people that his car had a Hemi.  LOL

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline Gumby

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2012 - 01:12:33 AM »
WTF were they thinking? It's not the worst bastardization of a well known and beloved name plate ever. That honor goes to GM with their POS GTO. What the hell are Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat dumba$$es smoking these days? A lot lower quality stuff than the marketing/manufacturing guys were smoking in the late 60s when they gave us good looking cars with good performance and cool magazine ads as well. At least cars back then were discernable as a Mopar This is just an econobox piece of turd that can never be polished off. This is NOT a Dart! Tommy, have you ever driven a 69 Dodge Dart Swinger? Do you know what one looks like? Did your mom drive you to school in one, or did you make out in the back of one? Why do you dis them? They were respected cars. They are beautiful. They are unique. This new thing might be the finest car that ever rolled off the assembly line - but they should have called it something different. It is no how, no way a Dart. Same as the 4 door car, which might be very nice - is no way a Charger. If you believe that, then you believe the Mitsubishi of the 80s is a real Challenger - better than the 1st gen ones we have today. Lay down the crack pipe and see this for what it is. A pathetic, very pathetic last grasp of straws for a drowning company. It insults everything I used to love about Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge. It is an abomination. Maybe that's what they should have called it. Sorry for the rant. Let good names rest in peace. This is sad. Tommy, I meant nothing against you. this is just sad.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012 - 01:19:18 AM by Gumby »
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline Gumby

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2012 - 01:39:15 AM »
If they would drop the price $10,000.00 of $15,000.00 across the board, the sales would explode for Challengers and Chargers and they would be making money hand over fist because they would sell so many more of them. Fact is, Ford and Chevy are cheaper with more horsepower, lighter weight vehicles. Younger people might be able to better afford them. Families would be more interested in the 4 door thing. I think the tie in with Diammler convinced them to price themselves out of the market. Maybe Fiat will correct that. I looked at Jeeps. The Unlimited 4 door with Rubicon package and a few upgrades was pushing $50,000.00. Eff all that. I'll keep my old 85 Bronco. That's just crazy money for a damn Jeep. It's a JEEP, for pete's sake. Supposed to be/used to be cheap, reliable transportation.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012 - 01:47:55 AM by Gumby »
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012 - 02:13:02 AM »
WTF were they thinking? It's not the worst bastardization of a well known and beloved name plate ever. That honor goes to GM with their POS GTO. What the hell are Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat dumba$$es smoking these days? A lot lower quality stuff than the marketing/manufacturing guys were smoking in the late 60s when they gave us good looking cars with good performance and cool magazine ads as well. At least cars back then were discernable as a Mopar This is just an econobox piece of turd that can never be polished off. This is NOT a Dart! Tommy, have you ever driven a 69 Dodge Dart Swinger? Do you know what one looks like? Did your mom drive you to school in one, or did you make out in the back of one? Why do you dis them? They were respected cars. They are beautiful. They are unique. This new thing might be the finest car that ever rolled off the assembly line - but they should have called it something different. It is no how, no way a Dart. Same as the 4 door car, which might be very nice - is no way a Charger. If you believe that, then you believe the Mitsubishi of the 80s is a real Challenger - better than the 1st gen ones we have today. Lay down the crack pipe and see this for what it is. A pathetic, very pathetic last grasp of straws for a drowning company. It insults everything I used to love about Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge. It is an abomination. Maybe that's what they should have called it. Sorry for the rant. Let good names rest in peace. This is sad. Tommy, I meant nothing against you. this is just sad.

RE-post from earlier in this same thread:

I still think that you shouldn't fixate on a car name and look more into it's stand-a-lone merit.

We got lucky with the new Challengers.   The fact that new Challengers even half way resemble the old ones is certainly not an industry standard.

A handful of die hard enthusiasts will never dictate the market to the masses.   And why should it.  Car companies would go broke pretty quickly if they catered just to us.

I hate it too, but that is the case.

Peace.

I wonder if the new Charger would be received differently by the old car fans if it had been named something else?  How about the Dodge Thunder?  Would you guys have liked it better then?  Same car.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012 - 02:34:50 AM by TinCuda »
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2000 Yamaha V-Max
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012 - 02:18:41 AM »
If they would drop the price $10,000.00 of $15,000.00 across the board, the sales would explode for Challengers and Chargers and they would be making money hand over fist because they would sell so many more of them. Fact is, Ford and Chevy are cheaper with more horsepower, lighter weight vehicles. Younger people might be able to better afford them. Families would be more interested in the 4 door thing. I think the tie in with Diammler convinced them to price themselves out of the market. Maybe Fiat will correct that. I looked at Jeeps. The Unlimited 4 door with Rubicon package and a few upgrades was pushing $50,000.00. Eff all that. I'll keep my old 85 Bronco. That's just crazy money for a damn Jeep. It's a JEEP, for pete's sake. Supposed to be/used to be cheap, reliable transportation.

The 'Cuda and Challenger cost twice as much (exaggeration) as mustangs and camaros in the 1970s also.  I kind of think that you get what you pay for.  If it costs $2 to make and you sell it for $1, it doesn't matter how many you sell.  Simple math.  I don't know, but I suggest the new Challenger might just be built better than the new mustangs and camaros...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012 - 02:25:49 AM by TinCuda »
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2000 Yamaha V-Max
Shot at 2012-09-05