Author Topic: Anyone interested in the new Dodge Dart?  (Read 6964 times)

Offline Gumby

Re: Anyone interested in the new Dodge Dart?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012 - 03:23:10 AM »
Please don't take my simple minded rants the wrong way, I want a new Challenger. Just absolutely no way I can afford one, especially when you add in taxes and license and insurance. NE charges you taxes every year you own your vehicle. it's cost prohibative here. I make pretty good money and can't really swing one. I did that whole starve for a new nice car once when I was 24 for a Buick Grand National. Guess I just can't justify doing that again. That car was $17,000.00 total in 1987. $21,000.00 paid off. My salary has gone up a bit, but not as much as new car prices. I sincerely doubt if any 24 year old today could go out and buy a 6.1 or SRT. Just saying. (the GN was Buicks hottest model that year, with more HP than the Corvette) I'm not talking baseline Challenger - for comparison, I would use the SRT  to the GN in todays terms. The Buick was way more $  than a Mustang 5.0, but worth it, as you say. I guess I'm just getting old. The value of the dollar just isn't what it used to be. And it's dropping quickly every year. You pay much more and get less - no matter what.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012 - 05:22:39 AM »
Yep most automobile manufacturers are priceing themselves right out of existence. Unless you got loads of money falling out of yer @$$ !!!! Some only cater to certain economic groups, well within thier right to do so. But no way in hell am I gonna finance for a car almost half what I spend for a mortgage payment and they are darn close nowadays. If you do your just a fool getting taken to the cleaners!! Now Don,t get me wrong I'll pay more for American because I expect more in return, but name a car that is entirely made in America.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012 - 09:16:04 AM »
I like some of the new Mopar commercials and ads the George Washington one was Awsome. Nothing like running over redcoats with yer Challenger that was witty cool!! It really is not mopars fault that the economy took a Steamy Massive Crap when they were getting they're ball rolling again. There does need to be ways to keep costs down and affordability for the consumer. I still think they should have released a charger 2 door version ( option )that would have been pretty sweet as I like the look of the new chargers, just not in grocery getter status (4-door) :crying:.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012 - 09:24:59 AM by GranCuda1970 »

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2012 - 09:52:23 AM »
I am definitely interested in it. My wife needs a new car and since both my kids are 17 and 18 it makes sense to downsize from the school bus Yukon XL. I am particularly interested in the turbo 1.4, should give great mileage while providing plenty of power.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012 - 11:03:44 AM »
if i needed a new car with the high gas prices and it cousting only 16k new i would pick it up but i would get it for the wife of use as a daily driver or something like that

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012 - 12:57:22 PM »
To answer the tittle of the post........ no
Looks like a Ford Foucus to me and just head out to your local wrecking yard to see what's left of one of these econo boxes when they hit something. My family is worth more than what ever they are charging for fuel.
Our family vehicle is a 2005 Suburban. There are 5 of us so we need a real vehicle.  :2cents:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2012 - 03:32:38 PM »
many of us are older farts (>50) that detroit doesnt market their mass production vehicles to anymore. They are selling these little cars to younger people, many with families and the typical buyer leases or makes payments with virtually nothing down. Those are the facts and they better know better than we do what to sell to who, or they wont be around next year. I would wager the average buyer of this car will have no idea dodge used to sell a car with that name.
As for the name. Personally I dont care what they call it. Thunder is cool too. They own the naming rights to Dart so more power to em. Also, I think their recent commercials are great. Yeah, that GW commercial is one of the best I have ever seen....Classic! The imported from detroit lingo, and that old race track they use is a cool idea too.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012 - 05:19:44 AM »
All these people lamenting the new Dart as some sort of indicator of where Dodge is heading seem to be looking at the past with rose colored glasses. The Dodge Dart of yesteryear was a plain jane entry level car that just happened to get caught up in the escalating muscle car wars. Had they not happened, dodge would have kept pumping out slant 6 4 door cars with bench seats and column shifters. It was a utlitarian vehicle that ended up with power. Fast forward to the present. The new dodge dart is a 4 door entry level utilitarian vehicle, that may itself get caught up in the HP wars. Who knows. But if people think that every car from dodge has to have a hemi to carry on some of the old school nameplates is living in a fantasy. Sorry, but its the truth.

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012 - 09:40:11 AM »
 :iagree:that is the truth

Offline sprecks

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012 - 01:28:03 PM »
All these people lamenting the new Dart as some sort of indicator of where Dodge is heading seem to be looking at the past with rose colored glasses. The Dodge Dart of yesteryear was a plain jane entry level car that just happened to get caught up in the escalating muscle car wars. Had they not happened, dodge would have kept pumping out slant 6 4 door cars with bench seats and column shifters. It was a utlitarian vehicle that ended up with power. Fast forward to the present. The new dodge dart is a 4 door entry level utilitarian vehicle, that may itself get caught up in the HP wars. Who knows. But if people think that every car from dodge has to have a hemi to carry on some of the old school nameplates is living in a fantasy. Sorry, but its the truth.

Very well said.
If everyone owned a Dodge muscle car, having one would end up being pretty boring.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012 - 01:29:37 PM »
agreed, but if I wanted a ricer look, I would buy a ricer, just the same.

The car is just a tad outa sorts in a MOPAR line-up
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.