Author Topic: Review of DMT woodgrain inserts. Good stuff.  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
Review of DMT woodgrain inserts. Good stuff.
« on: December 07, 2011 - 08:01:34 PM »
So... big thumbs up for the Detroit Muscle Technologies woodgrain inserts.

Talked to the owner Jim before I bought and according to him, the original material used was a paper-backed 3M Di Noc decal. 3M no longer makes the exact same product, but the current version is VERY close. That's what this is.

(Note that the actual pattern on the "original" shot I've attached looks more different as that particular piece didn't have as straight a grain pattern. The passenger side looked just like the new ones as far as pattern goes. So I guess there's variance depending where on the roll you cut from. Also, color looks a bit more off due to lighting. Original might be a little more red, but not much.)

About the only difference I can see is that the sheen is flatter on the new pieces and possibly the embossed grain isn't quite as deep. Not sure, though.

At any rate, these things look great on the car. They were cut perfectly too.

To paraphrase Jim, "This is as close as you're gonna get without a time machine." I think he might be right.

He also pre ages them by cutting the material into strips before actually cutting the pattern. This is to reduce the natural shrinkage over time. ie, let the material shrink a bit before you cut them out.

If you need new inserts, I highly recommend them.
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline larry4406

Re: Review of DMT woodgrain inserts. Good stuff.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011 - 05:43:25 AM »
Nice.  What is involved in installing them and stripping/removing the originals?

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011 - 07:35:39 AM »
Door panels have to come off... then

1) Remove plate from panel

2) Grind or chisel the 3 posts off the back of the emblem (it's just pot metal that they hammered into a rivit when assembled)

3) Apply a solvent to the old woodgrain to soften it. I used Acrysol. I would think one of those really strong orange-based solvents would work great. The old ones are paper, so whatever you put on them will soak through after a few minutes and start disolving the old adhesive. Good thing is you're working with chrome so I'd think messing up the finish would be tough.

4) Once the woodgrain has softened, scrape it off. I used a razor blade to get all the old adhesive off. Once you get it softened good, it starts to come off pretty easy.

5) Optional - Carefully tape off and repaint the black line. I went ahead and removed the old black paint and re-painted using SEM trim black

6) Once ALL the old adhesive is removed, you simply spray a light coat of windex and apply the woodgrain. The windex allows it to move a bit for positioning. You can use your finger, small rag etc to push bubbles out. I also recommend using one of those small plastic squeegees to really push the windex out and get it flat. I also hit it with a heat gun very carefully to get it to set. You'll see the material react to the heat gun, so don't overdo it.

7) Let it set a day and go back and make sure there's no windex left to dry. If you've had the panels in a warm place it should be good to go.

8) Locate the holes for the emblems and carefully cut them out. I used one of those super-pointy xacto blades. Perfect for this.

9) Pop the emblems back in

10) Put the door back together. Done.

If you're insane like me, you can also spend an hour+ repainting the emblems before you put em back on. :-)

Console plate was same process. Positioning it is tougher, but it will fall into place eventually. The cuts seem to have been VERY accurate.

1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011 - 07:59:38 AM »
Very nice parts from DMT. The woodgrain on the console and a bunch of gaskets is now in my Barracuda -70

Offline Gumby

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012 - 08:11:02 AM »
Looks good! Mine is peeling a bit. Original, that is.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline Detroit Muscle Technologies

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012 - 10:48:34 PM »
Pics look great and thanks for the compliments!

Jim Fillmore
Detroit Muscle Technologies