Author Topic: FK5 Deep Burnt Orange paint code/modern equivalent needed  (Read 7204 times)

Offline MartinD-UK

FK5 Deep Burnt Orange paint code/modern equivalent needed
« on: December 10, 2011 - 06:40:31 PM »
Edit to add,as in post below it is Deep burnt orange FK5, not burnt orange FK3, but still need mix code
I am helping with the restoration on a '70 Cuda. Its burnt orange and has been bare metal resprayed before many years ago to a slightly different shade to the few bits of original paint left on the car, around front & rear screens & under some trim that wasn't removed. A friend restored his '70 GTX also in burnt orange and has given me a paint code that he took a lot of research to come up with, it's made by Spies Hecker 'Daewoo Orange Copper 75U', but it is too light compared to the the original paint on the Cuda. Are there different shades of burnt orange ? the GTX should be the same shouldn't it ?
Thanks

Martin
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011 - 06:21:25 AM by MartinD-UK »

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
Re: Burnt Orange paint code/modern equivalent needed
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011 - 07:41:04 PM »
There were a couple Burnt Oranges available on 70 Plymouths.

I believe there was FK3 Burnt Orange and FK5 Deep Burnt Orange.

Do you have the fender tag or broadcast sheet? Either of those will have the paint code that the car came with.

It's possible your buddy has FK3 and your car is the darker FK5...
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline MartinD-UK

Re: Burnt Orange paint code/modern equivalent needed
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011 - 06:04:24 AM »
There were a couple Burnt Oranges available on 70 Plymouths.

I believe there was FK3 Burnt Orange and FK5 Deep Burnt Orange.

Do you have the fender tag or broadcast sheet? Either of those will have the paint code that the car came with.

It's possible your buddy has FK3 and your car is the darker FK5...
Thanks Grec, the fender tag had already been decoded and now looking back at it I see that it is indeed FK5 DEEP burnt orange  :-[ ( i didn't know there was FK3 and deep FK5), so you have that one solved straight off  :2thumbs:. Now just need a modern  mix code to get it made.

Martin

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
Re: FK5 Deep Burnt Orange paint code/modern equivalent needed
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011 - 09:08:27 AM »
you can contact any of the paint companies tech line and they will give you that info.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
Re: FK5 Deep Burnt Orange paint code/modern equivalent needed
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011 - 08:57:49 AM »
FK5 is FK5 no matter what.  That being said, this color is very hard to spray.  I know a person that had to have his FK5 AAR resprayed 3 times to get the shade to match his wife's TA Challenger.  And this was by a restoration shop that deals with a TON of classic Mopars. 

The problem is the way the metallic and such lays out can affect the color greatly.  Things like humidity, number of coats and air pressure can alter the appearance of this color, seemingly more than a lot of other classic Mopar colors.  This is not one of those colors that you want to paint in stages on the various pieces of the car.  You want to do the whole thing at once and, if possible, even do the jambs at the same time.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT