Author Topic: Firewall a/c conversion  (Read 524 times)

Offline moprr

Firewall a/c conversion
« on: December 13, 2011 - 09:02:11 PM »
Just wondering if there is much to change on a fire wall to go a/c on an original base car.  I was looking at aftermarket options that bolt in but I can get a good original a/c box for a good deal.  wondering if it is worth it or if there is major differences. Thanks

Offline 7071 challenger

• All you need is Dodge!
Re: Firewall a/c conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011 - 09:12:32 PM »
If you look as some cars with factory A/C, you'll see for yourself that the blower motor is larger on a A/C car. So the hole on the firewall is also larger compared to a non A/C car. You will have to cut another hole in the firewall to let the evaporator tubes out in the engine compartment. If you go the aftermarket way, (Classic auto air, for exemple), everything goes out to the engine compartment through the original blower hole, so no modification needs to be done to the firewall, but, (in my opinion), it looks weird under the hood without the blower, (the Classic air kit hides the blower inside the car). Hope that helps.
Robert

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011 - 11:02:21 PM »
The locations are different also.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline moprr

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011 - 08:23:39 PM »
thanks for the pic

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011 - 10:08:20 PM »
I converted mine from A/C to non A/C. My car will have a Hemi and I like the look of a non A/C dash much more than the A/C ones.

I'm sure you could do the reverse of what I did.
After it was tack'd in place, I spray canned the inner side. That told me where to cut.

Mike, Fremont, CA.