Author Topic: There is a crack in my plastic grill! HELP !!!  (Read 15312 times)

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
Re: There is a crack in my plastic grill! HELP !!!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011 - 12:33:50 AM »
That's a very good article posting and I did many of the same things on my "junk" grill - I say that because the body shop wouldn't touch it and told me to get a new one but I saved what I had with some work.

I would suggest not just using sheet metal but rather go to your local lumber yard and get some of those galvanized steel roof valley shinges instead.  They are very thin, easy to cut and unlike sheet metal, won't rust and mine have been in place for 5+ years with no issues.

Also, when you are trying to patch stuff front and back, do make the vee's and don't be afraid to drill small holes through since in the end the SEM material will go through front to back and hold things in place better since it isn't just sitting on the surface.  I've repaired my '70 'Cuda and '71 Challenger grills this way and it looks great and holds up.

Good luck with yours, these kind of repairs are very doable for those willing to spend the time.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011 - 01:27:42 AM »
Good idea with the roofing flashing.

Offline CudaNut

• She's so fine ain't no tellin where the money went
    • CUDANUT.COM
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011 - 09:32:03 AM »
I use "gutter guard" that perforated expanded metal used to cover rain gutters on the flexible areas. It's easy to cut and form to contours and once you put the 3M or SEM repair glue over it it makes a very strong but flexible repair.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011 - 09:33:47 AM by CudaNut »
"If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber."
  Albert Einstein

Offline Aracer

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011 - 01:03:15 AM »
I didn't know of any thing else at the time but I used JB weld epoxy. I put scotch tape on the front then dusted it from the back with sanded gray plastic, applied the epoxy in thin coats from the back to fill a v gap, and pasted the crack up the back. I smeared some aluminum anti seize compound on the front side of the epoxy to hide it temporally, until a repaint. 

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011 - 02:54:43 AM »
I didn't know of any thing else at the time but I used JB weld epoxy. I put scotch tape on the front then dusted it from the back with sanded gray plastic, applied the epoxy in thin coats from the back to fill a v gap, and pasted the crack up the back. I smeared some aluminum anti seize compound on the front side of the epoxy to hide it temporally, until a repaint.

Is this something that you did some time ago?   Did the J B Weld hold up ok?

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011 - 09:26:03 PM »
The SEM product is great and is the way to go even if JBWeld happened to work.

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011 - 10:29:38 PM »
I just finished using a product similar to JB Weld to fix the crack in ours.  It's PC-7, a two-part epoxy paste.  I used it a few years ago, and when the car got smashed on the freeway, the crack in the center of the grill reappeared.  Use a Dremel tool or small file to grind out the crack to a "V", blow it out with air,  tape off where you don't want the glue, put the epoxy paste in the crack.  When it starts to finally cure in a few hours, you can press it in further and do final shaping.   Use Bondo or glazing to get the shape just right. Wet sand it to shape. and topcoat.  You can do the repair with the grill in place if it's the front point where they all crack.  Then you don't have to bump it around.  If you don't have the paint that was originally used, then you have to take it out and mask off the black areas (a pain).
If you have the grill out, Do what CudaNut said and reinforce the joint underneath with some mesh or wire

Offline Aracer

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012 - 01:38:31 AM »
JB still holding from 1984 on the 68 cuda finned grill, it's the same color grey; and good on the 74's beak crack. 

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012 - 02:05:20 AM »
JB still holding from 1984 on the 68 cuda finned grill, it's the same color grey; and good on the 74's beak crack.

Cool,  thanks.

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05