Author Topic: Name that power steering pump!  (Read 6797 times)

Offline jforest1

Name that power steering pump!
« on: December 20, 2011 - 10:59:30 AM »
I'm trying to identify the power steering pump I have in my 1973 Plymouth 'Cuda 340. 

I'm not certain if this is Federal or Saginaw.  The body of the pump is round like the Federal:

not pear-shaped like the Saginaw:

except with an oval-shaped filler tube, like this one:
http://www.classicindustries.com/camaro/parts/a6154.html

The brackets seem to be the same as HF-PS004 here, which is listed for brackets for a Saginaw pump:
http://www.jimsautoparts.com/steering_parts.htm

Further, the pump cap seems to be the same as EG-6194B here, which is also listed for a Saginaw pump:
http://www.jimsautoparts.com/steering_parts.htm

The restoration guide I have says (emboldened pieces seemingly apply to me, as I have a key slot-shaft design):

There is a belief that the Trans-Am power steering pump was used on late-1971 to 1974 E-bodies, but this is not true.  The late-1971 models with a V-8 did use a similar pump, but the part numbers are different.  In 1972 all pumps were of the key slot-shaft design but each engine used a different part number.  In 1973 and 1974, most models used a pump with a 3/8-inch threaded hole in the shaft; this is the same pump used on late-1971 models that many compare to the Trans-Am pump.  Some 1973 and 1974 models were equipped with the key slot-type pump used in 1972.

Not really sure what to make of it.  It sounds like I have the key slot-shaft design of 1972, but I've no idea which one model the 1972 340 used.

Except for the body of the pump not being pear-shaped, and the filler tube being oval, everything else points to it being a Saginaw-style pump.

Any ideas?  Were there Saginaw pumps that were not pear-shaped and had oval filler tubes?

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: Name that power steering pump!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011 - 01:05:47 PM »
It's a Saginaw.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline jforest1

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011 - 01:17:51 PM »
I guess that means I have this one?
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?pid=PS249&c=0&e=0&hid=119BK16926&cat=1&trk=

So was the oval filler standard and the pear-shaped body not normal?

Also, any reason why this '72 pulley wouldn't fit it (since supposedly my pump is the same as would be used in '72 according to the restoration guide):
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?pid=MJ112&c=1&e=0&hid=113AN15777&cat=1&trk=

I'm not seeing any platter style pulleys like the one I have.  Does mine have some non-original pulley on it or are these just not sold anywhere anymore (I've only seen the pulleys with holes in them online)?

JF
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011 - 01:31:04 PM by jforest1 »
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011 - 03:10:59 PM »
My Challenger has the same pump.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011 - 03:12:58 PM »
My Challenger has the same pump.

X2    :iagree:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011 - 03:16:41 PM »
FYI, some local auto parts stores have the same pump new for about $75.  You can rebuild yours for about $50.  Call me if you want me to walk you through it.  It's SUPER easy.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline jforest1

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011 - 03:33:24 PM »
I saw the rebuild kits and am pretty sure I can get the replacement now on Y1.  My main concern is finding a replacement pulley for it.

Background is I've got a HUGE belt squeal and I've narrowed it down to the pump/pulley.  Pulley has metal bent along the V slot, and the pump has a sizeable body dent.  Either could be causing the squeal (well, not sure about the pump body dent but if somethings spinning in there it could be scratching along the inside where the dent comes in), but before I start trying to reshape metal, I want to know if I can buy another if I royally screw it up.

JF

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011 - 04:39:53 PM »
 Hi just rebuild mine.It is very easy to do,you can knock the dents out once you get it apart.

Offline jforest1

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011 - 05:51:38 PM »
Alright, related question...

Ordered a pulley for the Saginaw and went to autozone to get some power steering fluid and the guy there owned a Duster 340 and said Chrysler cars use Transmission Fluid (ATF+4) for power steering rather than power steering fluid. 

Can someone confirm/deny this?  I've been using power steering fluid...

JF

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011 - 12:11:53 AM »
Chrysler specified Power Steering Fluid.  I believe there was a note that said NOT to use trans fluid.

This was discussed extensively back in 2010 when Dave Walden's Valiant got deducted points at the Mopar Nats for having power steering fluid in the car.  The judges said he should have used ATF.  He provided proof that PSF was used and that ATF was incorrect.  This is for a 1970...the factory could have changed the recommended fluid in the later years.  Check the service manual for your year.

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/NEW_GOLD/NEW_GOLD.html

Offline jforest1

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011 - 09:14:14 AM »
For all those internet readers that find this post:

Quote from: 1973 Maintenance Manual
If necessary to add fluid to restore these levels, use only petroleum fluids specially formulated for mini- mum effect on the rubber hoses, Power Steering Fluid, Part Number 2084329, or its equivalent, is recommended.  Caution: Do not use Automatic Transmis- sion Fluid.

Good to know about the automatic transmission fluid thing...hadn't heard of it until then.

JF