Author Topic: Manual steering to power steering conversion  (Read 6933 times)

Offline cudaed_1917

Manual steering to power steering conversion
« on: December 22, 2011 - 10:04:19 PM »
I have a 71 'Cuda with manual steering that I want to convert to power steering. Besides the gearbox and adding a pump What other changes need to be made?  And can any other body type gearbox work? Also converting from manual drum brakes to power disc. I have the spindles rotors power brake booster master cylinder and the portioning valve. Is there anything I missed.

Thanks for your help

Offline crocha617

Re: Manual steering to power steering conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011 - 07:04:32 AM »
Steering - I think your column might be too long??? Never done the conversion but I know the manual steering box is much smaller the the power steering box. Maybe it will collapse enough - Not sure.....???

Brakes - Do you have the calipers, backing plates, pads....?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011 - 12:03:07 PM »
Also be aware there are 2 sizes of sector shafts with Mopar steering boxes. ...therefore 2 different pitman arms as well.
Do you have the caliper to spindle brakets? If not go for the big rotor conversion. Read up on it here.
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011 - 07:56:47 AM »
Steering - I think your column might be too long???
:iagree: You need a shorter one for power steering.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011 - 01:41:44 AM »
I 've converted my manual steering cars and friends cars to power steering by using the same column and just tapping the end on the shaft up to shorten it. The shaft collapses to the right length.  You have to change the coupler to the more common power steering one, so get that too when you get your Power steering gear. You just need the empty coupler housing and can use your coupler joint guts.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011 - 06:38:47 AM »
I 've converted my manual steering cars and friends cars to power steering by using the same column and just tapping the end on the shaft up to shorten it. The shaft collapses to the right length.
I've always wondered if you could do that. Knew they were collapsible, but thought it was a one time thing. Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011 - 08:36:12 AM »
they are collapsable but this is not the correct way to do it . The column is designed to collapse in an accident but it has nylon shear pins to keep the column length , once you break the shear pins the column can continue to shorten & could disconnect from the steering coupler , slim chance I am sure but still !!

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011 - 09:18:56 AM »
I've always wondered if you could do that. Knew they were collapsible, but thought it was a one time thing. Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup:
   As long as the coupler has the lock pin installed  and the coupler joint is centered in it's housing, it will not come apart. I did my 1st challenger over 30 years ago and drive it thousands of miles every year. Maybe the factory just had a hole for the shear pin in a different, shorter location and used the same shafts.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0