Author Topic: Is anyone using LED side marker lights?  (Read 751 times)

Offline mellowguy

Is anyone using LED side marker lights?
« on: December 26, 2011 - 02:09:34 PM »
I am curious if anyone has swithed there incandescent side marker bulbs to a LED and what were the results? Thanks everybody.

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
Re: Is anyone using LED side marker lights?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011 - 04:31:17 PM »
I am curious if anyone has swithed there incandescent side marker bulbs to a LED and what were the results? Thanks everybody.

I have done that.  They work well if you pay attention to light direction and lens color.

Since LEDs are so directional (unlike a regular bulb) you need to make sure the LED is pointed in the direction you want the light to go.  Also, make sure you order an LED that is the same color as the lens you are putting it in.  If you are replacing a bulb behind an amber lens, order an amber LED, etc.

Lastly, your flasher will speed up, so you will need to get a constant-rate (or electronic) flasher.  They are usually available at any auto parts store.
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Is anyone using LED side marker lights?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011 - 10:41:54 PM »
I think he was asking about the fender mounted ones. No flasher needed.    I didn't try it but I bought some of the smaller bulb bases that had 4 LEDs on top. I used them for a cigar sized shift light so I know they are out there that for the markers. Buy a couple of sets and try it.  I think it would look better with a row of LEDs going all the way down instead of just on the end of a 70-71 style.   Would look nice on a 72-74 style too.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0