Author Topic: Electrical Light Grimlins  (Read 1153 times)

Offline challengermaniac

Electrical Light Grimlins
« on: December 28, 2011 - 05:12:31 PM »
I'm hopeful you guys can walk me through each of the steps to address a number of lights that don't work.  It's a 70 Challenger and these are the lights I want to address:  a. auto shifter light, b. dome light, c. 3 Rallye Dash instrument  lights and d. back up light
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline 06Daytona

Re: Electrical Light Grimlins
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011 - 06:43:04 PM »
I just did the back up light on my 70 when I changed my shifter so I may be able to help with that one.
1972 Cuda 340 4 barrel 4 speed that looks like a 71
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (Kidmobile)
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1970 Challenger 440/727 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster 340/auto (Making it Panther Pink for the wife)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)
In desperate need of more property for my growing Mopar family

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011 - 07:21:51 PM »
I believe the shifter, the dome light, and the light bar (for the dash lights) all wire into the dimmer. The dimmers constantly go bad.  JS Restorations sells them with a discount for a core.  Talk to Slotts :)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011 - 07:43:46 PM »
I believe the shifter, the dome light, and the light bar (for the dash lights) all wire into the dimmer. The dimmers constantly go bad.  JS Restorations sells them with a discount for a core.  Talk to Slotts :)

:iagree:

For the back up light problem, do you have an automatic or 4-speed?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011 - 08:54:51 PM »
check power in & out of the dimmer on the dash first if there is no power check the fuse even if it looks ok it can be bad , dash lights can be a grounding issue also .
 The back up light could be the NSS again trace power to the two black wires going to the trans , you to the trans & back up leading to the reverse lights , if you do have power back from the trans there is a plug behind the driver kick panel , if you have power there check the reverse light sockets , if there is power there then either the bulbs are bad or the ground is bad

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline challengermaniac

Re: Backup Light Grimlin
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011 - 08:05:38 PM »
You guys were spot on pointing to the dimmer switch.  With some electrical cleaner spray, pressured air for drying and electrical  lubricant sprayed on the switch, the instrument panel, gear shift selector and dome lights all work like new!

I am going to address the back up light grimlin tomorrow!

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011 - 01:33:52 PM by challengermaniac »
Charlie
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011 - 01:42:54 PM »
Ok, now that we are down to just the Backup/Reverse Light, let's establish the base point (70 Challenger with 727 Auto):

Are these correct statements:

* Backup/Reverse Light should come on with key in ignition and turned 2 clicks (motor not running) with Trans Gear Selector in Reverse

* Backup/Reverse Light should come on with key in ignition and motor running with Trans Gear Selector in Reverse (dah)

Charlie
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011 - 04:20:20 PM »
Ok, now that we are down to just the Backup/Reverse Light, let's establish the base point (70 Challenger with 727 Auto):

Are these correct statements:

* Backup/Reverse Light should come on with key in ignition and turned 2 clicks (motor not running) with Trans Gear Selector in Reverse

* Backup/Reverse Light should come on with key in ignition and motor running with Trans Gear Selector in Reverse (dah)

Yes . Power should go into the black wires going down to the trans , go through the switch come back into the tri plug & back inside the car & in behind the left kick panel to the tailights

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t