Author Topic: Disc setup  (Read 1451 times)

Offline 440ed

Disc setup
« on: January 21, 2005 - 09:11:23 PM »
Hello fellow moparnuts. I just registered and I'm trying to find my way around.  I read alot of info and saw some pics which have me more confused.  Just rebuilt the front end of '70 barracuda.  It was a basketcase that came in with discs on the front-drums rear.  No sign of a metering valve or prop valve.  The disc setup must have been added later but never completed.  It's driving me nuts as to the position of the calipers.  They were on the front sides of the rotor.  I switched things around and put them on the backside. They are K-H single piston type.  I've seen pictures and writeups showing both options. Which is right?  I don't have much hair left to pull out, so can somebody please help? Thanks  440ed

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: Disc setup
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005 - 11:26:58 PM »
front

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005 - 02:19:41 AM »
in reality it doesn`t matter if the caliper is mounted front or rear as long as it doesn`t interfere with the sway bar , they were mounted in front though , is the a brass block with a wire & switch mounted under the master cylinder , this is the balance switch & usually is the proportioniung valve too 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 440ed

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005 - 08:07:39 AM »
Yes, it has the switch block  for the idiot light under the master cylinder.  The shop manual describes it as just that-not a proportioning valve.  So I was going to put an adjustable valve in line to the rears.  I am putting an aftermarket sway bar on the front that has mounting hardware included.  The car didnt have one originally, so theres nowhere to just bolt it in.  From what I see I will be drilling and bolting or welding the clamps onto the car.  If I leave the calipers in back there is less of a chance of any interference, right?  Thanks

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005 - 08:57:18 PM »
yes you will have more clearance with the caliper in the rear
 you need a mounting tab on the lower control arm to mount the sway bar links too , thi s can be easily fabricated or you can swap control arms
 , are the rear brakes locking up too early with the disc drum combo ?
 an adjustable proportioning valve wil help it out if it is locking early 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t