Author Topic: Console Loop "Thingies" That Hold Seat Belts Up  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
Console Loop "Thingies" That Hold Seat Belts Up
« on: January 09, 2012 - 08:06:14 AM »
I'm not sure if all E Body consoles came with these, but I recently bought a used Mopar console for parts and on one side it had a plastic loop toward the back that looks like it was there to hold up the short seat belt to make it easier to buckle.  Its just a loop of plastic which is why the one on the other side was probably broken / missing.  Theres a hole on each side of the console for these.  Does anyone make this part?  I thought about trying to make one out of a black twist tie.  I haven't seen it listed anywhere but my Baracuda doesn't have these and its a pain digging out the seat belt between the seat and the console every time! 

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
Re: Console Loop "Thingies" That Hold Seat Belts Up
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012 - 08:19:21 AM »
Around page 2 of this thread you'll find them mentioned and a link to another thread where I was looking for them:

www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=80362

I managed to get a pair from a place called Texas Acres, but they appear to have gone out of business since I picked them up.

Here is the other thread which includes some more details:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=79985

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012 - 08:48:58 AM by Jamiez »

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012 - 09:58:13 AM »
Around page 2 of this thread you'll find them mentioned and a link to another thread where I was looking for them:

www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=80362

I managed to get a pair from a place called Texas Acres, but they appear to have gone out of business since I picked them up.

Here is the other thread which includes some more details:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=79985

That's them.  Doesn't sound like they work that good.  I read the threads and it sounds like I can tighten the seatbelt bolts to get them to stay up, may give that a try.

Thanks again, Jim

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012 - 10:50:30 AM »
All the seat belt bolts (at least on the 74) have a shoulder so you can only get them so tight.

The loops do a decent job of keeping the belt where you want it, but they are fragile and make removing/installing the console a bit of a pain.

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012 - 11:32:15 AM »
And I can tell you they don't last long. I put a new set in a few months ago, and the driver's side one already frickin broke. Keep in mind the car wasn't really driven at all during this time.

There's a reason no one has these in their cars anymore... they all broke in the 1st year! :-)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012 - 01:17:01 PM »
All the seat belt bolts (at least on the 74) have a shoulder so you can only get them so tight.
I found if you put a rubber washer in there it holds the belt up and you can still move it around. Drops down occasionally. I used some rubber gasket material cut to fit.  :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012 - 06:00:56 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the rubber washer, makes sense, I'm sooo tired of digging my big hands down between the console & seat.  Something down there scrapes the back of my hand to the point I'm bleeding just buckling up.  I wonder if there's a better way of doing this, maybe using a  black zip tie somehow, those things do not break easily!

Later, Jim

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012 - 06:11:02 PM »
You could easily, they are just loops roughly 10" in length.  You'd have to figure out a way to attach them but if you take the console off you can get to the back of them and just use some type of bolt.

If I wasn't a fan of originality I would have used some braided steel wrapped in black heat shrink.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012 - 08:18:03 PM »
* caution - - brief hi-jack - - *

If you are a fan of originality, I have a '74 front seat belt re-tractor, webbing, and upper mount I want to get out of my garage. You want it? Not sure if it is pass. or driver side. I believe you have a '74 right?
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012 - 05:52:18 AM »
I do have a 74 but all my original belts are in good shape.  Thanks for the offer though  :2thumbs:

Offline Grec

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012 - 12:06:33 PM »
If you wanted to use zip ties, it would be simple...

Take the console apart so you could run the zip tie through the hole from the inside of the console. Make a loop, run it back through the hole and zip it.

Once it's zipped, it would be to big to come back out through the hole.

I did this on my heater hoses in the engine compartment after the 3rd $5 + shipping heater hose strap broke. :-)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012 - 03:59:27 PM »

Take the console apart so you could run the zip tie through the hole from the inside of the console. Make a loop, run it back through the hole and zip it.

I did this on my heater hoses in the engine compartment after the 3rd $5 + shipping heater hose strap broke. :-)

That's a great idea.  It should hold up much better than the original straps. And who is going to see them anyway?   :naughty:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012 - 04:38:20 PM »
They could be made out of woven nylon strap...like seat belt webbing.  They would never break and would look nice.  I'm sure you could buy some nylon strap at a craft store.   

Offline Grec

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012 - 07:21:50 PM »
That's a great idea.  It should hold up much better than the original straps. And who is going to see them anyway?   :naughty:

True that.

Honestly, I was completely underwhelmed when I 1st got the NOS pieces installed. Really cheap looking, feeling. I can't see zip ties being that much below what Mopar put there and like you said, they'd actually last for more than a few times of moving the bucket back and forth. :-)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012 - 03:37:01 PM »

That's exactly how I thought about doing it myself.  Just need to find some black ties, think all mine are white.

Later, Jim