Author Topic: resonators and mufflers  (Read 9875 times)

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
resonators and mufflers
« on: January 10, 2012 - 04:05:46 AM »
What exactly does a resonator do.....and are they restrictive?

Why did our mopars come with a resonator and a muffler?

Maybe I'm confused, but doesn't the exhaust pipe go into the muffler first, and then go over the axle into the resonator which feeds into the exhaust tips?
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
Re: resonators and mufflers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012 - 05:19:22 AM »
Your guess is as good as mine, I think it's function was like a cat but not as effective. I will not be putting them in.... Flowmaster's will go around where the resinators are and the mufflers by the gas tank will not be installed. Or No resinators and the origional style mufflers by the gas tank one or the other for me on a 2.5 exhaust.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012 - 05:28:33 AM »
Larry, do you still have an original exhaust system on the cuda?  I have been offered a stock replacement system for use with headers for a very decent price.  Since I just want a nice deep rumble and not a big bunch of db`s ,I thought it would be a good one for me, but I can`t find any audio rec. of the stock systems... no clue what they sound like...
*** Bart ***

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012 - 08:13:36 AM »
I'm confused too!!!  I thought what was under the rear seats were the mufflers and the resonators are the round things next to the gas tank but I think I'm wrong....

I would imagine the stock system is very quiet.  I was listening to the exhaust on a stock retored HEMI '68 Charger and could hardly hear anything.  I ask why so quiet and he said it had the resonators on.  Too quiet for my tastes.  If not for the HEMI badging, I would have never guessed it had anything more than a small block under the hood.  :dunno:  Sorry, no audio of it.

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012 - 09:26:52 AM »
Larry, from what I understand a resonator is a type of muffler. On an e-body the muffler is in the rear.
     I'm sure it does add some restriction.

http://www.accurateltd.com/70-74-E-Body-Small-Block-318340360-Complete-Exhaust-Systems-_p_239.html

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012 - 01:03:59 PM »
There is no difference between a resonator and a muffler.  They are the same thing.  The resonator is there to lessen the loud droning sound that can occure at certain RPMs/throttle positions.  As Wade pointed out, the mufflers are at the back and the resonators are under the seat.  Single exhaust cars never got a resonator...just the round muffler at the back.  The confusion is because aftermarket exhaust systems only use one muffler.(per side)  They usually use one under the back seat.

Any muffler/resonator as well as any bend in an exhaust pipe will cause a restriction.  It may not be much but there will still be one.  On a street car, you won't be able to tell a difference if you install some resonators.  The hp loss will be next to nothing....that is if you don't kneck down the system by installing a resonator with a smaller ID then the rest of the system.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012 - 04:11:29 AM »
Larry, do you still have an original exhaust system on the cuda?  I have been offered a stock replacement system for use with headers for a very decent price.  Since I just want a nice deep rumble and not a big bunch of db`s ,I thought it would be a good one for me, but I can`t find any audio rec. of the stock systems... no clue what they sound like...

The original exhaust system is one of the very few if only item I no longer have.  I only have the original exhaust manifolds.  I replaced them with a set of headers back in the early 80's. 
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012 - 09:57:27 AM »
Not terribly loud.  Here is a video of Alan's stock all the way '70 440, the sound quality not great, I'd say the car is louder than what I hear.

Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012 - 10:03:35 AM »
Darn it that's the ROOOOLLLL!!! Sound I was looking for!.. gonna have to purchase a accurate exhaust system this spring!! I think they are in Roseburg Oregon. I can drive there.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012 - 10:28:10 AM »
They have 1 complete 440 system in stock but I won't be able to buy until FEB hope they are still in business then. Looks like they repop all the hangers and hook-ups. :worshippy

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012 - 10:39:52 AM »
That's a nice deal!! and low priced!! But now that I have heard from Alan.s video the sound that I have been searching for I am going to get the complete system with resonators and mufflers I need everything from tips to hangers up to the hp manifolds. I love the ROOOOOL!! out the exhaust when you wrap it. Complete system for about a grand good deal to me!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012 - 10:43:12 AM by GranCuda1970 »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012 - 11:11:34 AM »
I like that  !    thanks for posting Wade   :2thumbs:

Alan, did you run stock manifolds or headers on that set up?
*** Bart ***

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012 - 04:35:45 PM »
I like that  !    thanks for posting Wade   :2thumbs:

Alan, did you run stock manifolds or headers on that set up?

Like I said .....Stock   
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012 - 05:57:04 PM »
Like I said .....Stock

:misbehaving:   I was just thinking pipes and mufflers....
*** Bart ***