Love the Beast

Author Topic: Love the Beast  (Read 3273 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Love the Beast
« on: January 11, 2012 - 02:13:29 PM »
This is a movie that I heard of a while back, but just managed to catch. It's a documentary about actor Eric Bana, and his love for one car, a Ford Falcon that he bought when he was 15 and has stuck with ever since. I particularly loved this line from one of his friends:

"I‘ve never met anyone who had a car for so long that was such a heap of sh*t, that could be so in love with it. You know, like you would have thought, as he made more money that he would go out and buy one that was better, but no, he’s just really persistent with that one car. "

A kindred spirit  :bigsmile:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
Re: Love the Beast
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012 - 02:18:25 PM »
Yeah some just have crappier tastes. Like pinto's, gremlins, late 70's t-birds, Vw's Bwlarrf!!  :puke: But I guess if you love it that much more power too you. Probably more sentimental due to a life experience around said car.  :bananasmi

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012 - 01:19:55 PM »
 :22yikes: Sounds like the movie ''christine'' to me  :eek7:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline dawerks

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012 - 01:28:35 PM »
Love is a strange thing.  I don't know if someone can 'love' an object, but it happens, and it's good to know that money can't prevert that love.

Torrenting the movie now :)  Thanks!   I mean, I'm going to the rental store to pick it up.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012 - 01:47:31 PM »
I don't think of her as an object, and that's the big divide between me and a lot of other car people. I think of her as part of my soul.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline dawerks

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012 - 02:32:03 PM »
Maybe I meant to say it's easier to love the emotions that are evoked from owning the object.  I guess we could get all metaphysical and philosophical here, but suffice it to say, these 'thing's are intrinsically part of our beings.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012 - 05:19:42 PM »
I got that movie froma local library.  Not a bad movie.  Would have been cool to have more shots of the car.  Not one mention of Mad Max in that movie (due to the same car basically as the Interceptor minus the bad boy parts like the spoilers, zoomies, supercharger, etc...) but I guess that was intensional.

Cool movie in that I think every car guy can relate to Eric Bana somehow.

I also saw the full movie online somewhere, maybe Hulu?  :clueless:

Poked around, was Hulu but you have to sign on to see the full movie.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/174633/love-the-beast?c=Sports
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012 - 01:51:31 AM »
Maybe I meant to say it's easier to love the emotions that are evoked from owning the object.  I guess we could get all metaphysical and philosophical here, but suffice it to say, these 'thing's are intrinsically part of our beings.

I'm not taking offense at all. And, I'm very metaphysical and philosophical  :bigsmile:

I got that movie froma local library.  Not a bad movie.  Would have been cool to have more shots of the car.  Not one mention of Mad Max in that movie (due to the same car basically as the Interceptor minus the bad boy parts like the spoilers, zoomies, supercharger, etc...) but I guess that was intensional.

Maybe I saw a different cut, but what I saw had three references to Mad Max, including clips from the film. He goes on at some length about how Mad Max brought together the two things he loved most (creativity/performing and the Falcon XB).

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline dawerks

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012 - 03:28:34 PM »
Well.. wow!  I can honestly say I have not seen a better movie in at least 2 years.  If you're a car guy, do yourself a favour and watch this.

I was out of country when this came out so that's how I missed it, but this is probably the best time for me to have seen this movie.  And I'm man enough to say it, I did shed a tear or two :)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012 - 10:25:54 PM »
Maybe I saw a different cut, but what I saw had three references to Mad Max, including clips from the film. He goes on at some length about how Mad Max brought together the two things he loved most (creativity/performing and the Falcon XB).

Dave, you're probably right.  I sorta remember having to return it to the library and fast forwarded through parts to get to car action!  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012 - 10:32:03 PM »
I am going to check it out...

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012 - 04:57:03 AM »
WOW

Just finished watching this movie on Netflix and all I can say is wow.  My car has been in my life from the begining (age 15) and I have to tell you that this movie kind of got to me.

I agree what has already been posted.  If you are a car person, you need to watch this movie.

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012 - 10:36:52 AM »
:22yikes: Sounds like the movie ''christine'' to me  :eek7:

"The only thing my brother ever loved in his whole rotten life Was that car. No Sh*tter ever came between him and Christine. If they did, watch out!"
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012 - 12:08:55 PM »
where can i find it sounds cool

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012 - 09:13:33 PM »
"The only thing my brother ever loved in his whole rotten life Was that car. No Sh*tter ever came between him and Christine. If they did, watch out!"

I remember he used to call people Sh*tters.  I liked that old guy.  He had spunk!  :grinyes: Gonna have to get that movie out!