1971 Challenger R/T, 383 4-speed, shaker 3.91, Plum Crazy/White

Author Topic: 1971 Challenger R/T, 383 4-speed, shaker 3.91, Plum Crazy/White  (Read 11493 times)

Offline crocha617

Re: 1971 Challenger R/T, 383 4-speed, shaker 3.91, Plum Crazy/White
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012 - 06:22:33 PM »
Darren - What's that in your garage next to the Challenger? I just bought a 68 Coronet RT Convertible Project on Saturday.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107079258862899267356/March252012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOWJj7yzwcHFDA&feat=directlink

Offline 572b1cuda

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012 - 07:32:53 PM »
i knew your garage wouldnt be empty long. congrats and good luck chris. :cheers:

Offline crocha617

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012 - 07:51:30 PM »
Yeah this one doesn't need much. Just my type of project. Got it to fire up briefly yesterday. Need to put the gas tank in and get it running correctly this week.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012 - 07:43:10 PM »
Yeah this one doesn't need much. Just my type of project. Got it to fire up briefly yesterday. Need to put the gas tank in and get it running correctly this week.
Real nice
68 R/T vert is it the real thing?68s are my favorite B-body so if you decide to part ways with it let me know?
Doug

Offline crocha617

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012 - 09:23:13 PM »
Yeah WS27L8G....No fender tag or build sheet but it was a great deal. 440 4 speed. I got it running tonight and was driving it up and down the driveway with no brakes. I won't do that again. MY plan is to get it running and driving for the summer and finish it up next winter. THe paint is just driving quality which I'm almost glad about so I can drive it and not worry about it. If I decide to part with it in the future I'll let you know Doug.

Offline Ludington1

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012 - 04:53:41 PM »
That's my 69 R/T vert... 440/auto, Ramcharger hood, 4.10 Super Performance Axle Package, Power Windows, Rallye Dash, Console.  Y2 yellow with black top and stripe, white bucket seats.  These B-Body verts are so much fun, I think I've had mine for almost 7 years now, it isn't going anywhere!

Good luck with yours, looks great!

Darren
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012 - 05:01:56 PM by Ludington1 »
71 Challenger R/T
69 Coronet R/T Convertible

Offline KSmoparnut

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013 - 05:04:52 PM »
 Hi Darren,  sorry to see you had to sell her. But I understand that happens sometimes..  still dont have a logical excuse as to why I got rid of it all those years ago.   If there's anything I could do to help the new owners feel free to have them contact  me.
 In regards to queries about the build sheet.. there was one in it when I pulled it off the road in the early 90s, I parked the car in our old paint shop overnight (at work) and came in the next morning to find a rat had crawled in through the open shifter hole and gotten under the seat and made a nest with the buildsheet.  It just about made me sick.. the only thing I wasnt sure of option-wise was original wheels. 
 I met a gentleman from Oklahoma at a show in '92 who was very familiar with the car,  he stated that he'd known of it since the late 70s or so and that the original owner had run into something and put the dent in the core support and smashed the grille and shaker hood.  Supposedly it sat in a salvage yard briefly and gave up the 383.  They also took a complete front clip off another purple R/T ( a '70) and transplanted it onto the car and promptly painted it all red ( you can see purple underneath a few spots the red was chipped ) . 
This was in the early 80s,  and paint still looked fantastic when I got the car.  The interior was the original white parts that had been dyed black and most of which was in very good condition except the headliner which exploded all over the place one night in 1990 with the windows down ( it had a split in the rear seam).
It was my first 'real' car,  and sure have alot of good memories of it.  I knew it was a shaker car,  but didnt have one on it so it wasnt something that I put much thought into at the time, lol. 

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013 - 05:29:03 PM »
Hi Darren,  sorry to see you had to sell her. But I understand that happens sometimes..  still dont have a logical excuse as to why I got rid of it all those years ago.   If there's anything I could do to help the new owners feel free to have them contact  me.
 In regards to queries about the build sheet.. there was one in it when I pulled it off the road in the early 90s, I parked the car in our old paint shop overnight (at work) and came in the next morning to find a rat had crawled in through the open shifter hole and gotten under the seat and made a nest with the buildsheet.  It just about made me sick.. the only thing I wasnt sure of option-wise was original wheels. 
 I met a gentleman from Oklahoma at a show in '92 who was very familiar with the car,  he stated that he'd known of it since the late 70s or so and that the original owner had run into something and put the dent in the core support and smashed the grille and shaker hood.  Supposedly it sat in a salvage yard briefly and gave up the 383.  They also took a complete front clip off another purple R/T ( a '70) and transplanted it onto the car and promptly painted it all red ( you can see purple underneath a few spots the red was chipped ) . 
This was in the early 80s,  and paint still looked fantastic when I got the car.  The interior was the original white parts that had been dyed black and most of which was in very good condition except the headliner which exploded all over the place one night in 1990 with the windows down ( it had a split in the rear seam).
It was my first 'real' car,  and sure have alot of good memories of it.  I knew it was a shaker car,  but didnt have one on it so it wasnt something that I put much thought into at the time, lol.

Very cool car, if I"m not  mistaken I'm pretty sure a member here bought it and is restoring it!

http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/1971FC7383.html

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline crocha617

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013 - 08:10:15 PM »
That's the same one. I believe Alan is restoring it for someone.

Offline YYZ

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013 - 09:07:13 AM »
I believe that the car did come with optional wheels, either rallyes or the magnums that were on it.  There is evidence of the red paint on the original, date-coded rear drums.  The car was definitely 'rode hard & put away wet' at some point, but all of that is getting slowly reversed with metal work scheduled for this spring.

PS fender was still original and had remnants of the white R/T stripe on the back inside edge.  Though the hood & other fender were '70s....

KSMoparnut, you have a PM

And for others, I'm wading through a backlog of stuff that ended up in my spam filter so stay tuned