Author Topic: what to do about this??? side marker light not fitting  (Read 888 times)

Offline NCtrueconservative

what to do about this??? side marker light not fitting
« on: January 25, 2012 - 10:08:17 PM »
This is the back left quarter panel. As you can see in the picture I have a huge gap in the front as the light is not fitting in the little recessed part very good.  I've tried all the reflector lights I have, turned them upside down and every which way and none want to fit.  Anyway to fix this with the pegs on the back of the lights??
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: what to do about this??? side marker light not fitting
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012 - 10:42:03 PM »
I'm going to guess that you have an older quarter skin on your car right?  The side marker area was pretty bad on those skins.  The side markers should have been test fit before the car was painted.  The only thing you're going to be able to do now is oval out the mounting holes. 

Go buy some Meguires Plast-X polish.  It will get that side marker looking almost new.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012 - 11:46:14 PM »
"The only thing you're going to be able to do now is oval out the mounting holes. "
 :iagree:  Get a rat tail file, slot the holes and split the difference in the fit. Don't forget to touch up the paint before you re-install them.  :thumbsup:

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012 - 01:05:46 PM »
Go buy some Meguires Plast-X polish.  It will get that side marker looking almost new.

I thought Plast-X was for clear plastics only and wasn't intended for use on colored plastic? If it does work on colored stuff that'd be great, I'd love to give my signals a once over.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012 - 03:14:59 PM »
I polished up my original tail light lenses with it.

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012 - 03:47:01 PM »
Alright guess i'm gonna be ovaling out some holes haha. You're right, should have test fit that before paint. Plum forgot it. The quarters were replaced a few years ago and are basically new. Thanks for the tip on the plastic polish...the car has not been buffed and wet sanded and I just kinda stuck that reflector up there for a picture of my problem. Appreciate the help!
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights