Author Topic: Opinions of all those 3rd gen and 4th gen mustangs  (Read 2865 times)

Offline NCtrueconservative

Opinions of all those 3rd gen and 4th gen mustangs
« on: January 30, 2012 - 09:16:00 PM »
It seems that all I see when headin down to the drag strip in Wilkes County is nothing but fox body and 4th gen mustangs. Since I'm a mopar man, I hardly ever lower myself to talk about these machines  :bigsmile: But seeing as how that is a HUGE chunk of what is around, what do you all think about em? It seems, and I emphasize "seems", because I don't want to lump in all mustang owners, cause there are some really nice stangs out there. But it seems that the stereotypical owner of a fox body or 4th gen is a college aged guy who has a high performance air filter on the car and an exhaust and thinks its gonna be as fast as those fox body dragsters on Pinks or something. At least thats my experience with them. Btw, all the 4th gen stangs down there usually run low to mid 9's, or very high 8's in 1/8 mile with a few mods. Just thought I'd throw it up for discussion...don't have an opinion either way, other than MOPAR or no car!! But I feel its good to discuss em amongst us mopar people since thats what usually rolls up beside us in their "5.0" and wants to run.
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline Jamie

Re: Opinions of all those 3rd gen and 4th gen mustangs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012 - 09:57:32 PM »
Love my mopar but have owned a few stangs. like a dart or duster ,the fox body is light and react well to common mods. with a few mods they can run in 12`s easy. just adding pulleys,full exhaust , bumping up the timing can knock a full second off stock figures. 94 and up got a little heavier and a touch slower but beware of any mustang with that menacing whistle from under the hood as they can be a nasty bugger at the redlight ie: supercharged cobra`s.
  Parts are available everywhere also. You can get a new cam at the Mcdonalds drive thru!!!!   There is a ton of crap ones running around also, flowmasters attached to worn out 150k mile cars( still 14 second cars probably)! Age of owners can vary from 16 thru old.So I can`t say its an "age" group thing. They are as common as belly buttons but fun as hell.
I will finish a project.I will finish a project. I will finish a project.

70 barracuda plum crazy
( current goal is to keep just one car) AND FINISH IT!
08 charger r/t  w/road & track package
2011 silverado

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012 - 11:03:19 PM »
oh yeah no doubt there are some wicked ones out there!!! I'm just wondering what the actual run of the mill mustang that a high schooler talks up will actually do..compared to an E-body per say hmmmm 8)

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012 - 07:15:14 AM »
i had a few the parts are way cheaper and are every where,i think price has a bit to do with it

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012 - 07:54:38 AM »
Wanna go fast? Get yourself a fox body Mustang and dump an LS, Ford Windsor, or Chevy Small block in it with a load of N20. Mopar or no car, but it has to suck that once you dump a ton of money in your Mopar stroker whatever only to be passed up by a fox body mustang with half the money in it...
Been there, done that. However, It's been MY experience, they are considered to be in the same boat by many as the Hemi cars, wing cars, exotic sports cars, etc. You are kinda automatically considered a douche for simply owning one, as the many owners of these type cars before were considered douches..
They are the '55 chevies of today...It is nothing to see one DEEP in the 9's 1/4 mile.
No matter how old the fox body cars  get though, they will never be as cool as an early E-body in the eye of public opinion.....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012 - 08:00:27 AM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Jamie

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012 - 10:15:59 PM »
I`d say the typical kid that is not serious nor has money to bump up there horsepower can still run 14`s all day. a bone stock 88 mustang gt automatic that my friend had was the same performance wise as my 73 duster with a 76 360 ( just a junk yard station wagon engine)with ld 340. 750 holley and  headers. 727 trans .  I believe he even had 3.08 gears to my 3.23. every damn time we raced we were within 5 feet of each other. He ran a 14.4 in the quarter also.

70 barracuda plum crazy
2011 silverado

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012 - 10:49:10 PM »
This is a big sore spot for me as my first love is definatley my E body and for sure my second is Fox body Mustangs. In the early 70s we all know that the muscle car era ended for most in 1971 and was for sure over by 1974. It wasn't until the early part of the 80s when power levels started creeping back up and on the forefront of this resurgence was the Mustang GT. In 1985 Ford introduced the hydrolic roller cam into the 5.0 which most (including myself) concider the true rebirth of the horsepower wars that has lead up to the insane power levels modern day muscle cars are now up to. Because these cars are extremely popular they are very plentiful and affordable which means that there are the common idiots that own them up to someone like myself that owns a 1 of 59 Saleen Notchback/coupe that was ever produced. And yes they are cheap to modify. For what it is costing me to build the ultimate stroker small block Mopar engine I can build a complete Fox body mustang (including the car itselft) that runs mid 10s easily, pull over 1g in the corners and brakes so fast your eye balls pop out. Case in point is the car you see below.  Lumping all Mustang owners together is unfair to say the least. There are jackasses in all automotive circles!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012 - 09:13:20 AM by cudadave72 »
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012 - 11:07:38 PM »
now thats a good looking Stang! and the cuda  :droolingbounce:

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012 - 07:22:06 AM »
now thats a good looking Stang! and the cuda  :droolingbounce:

Thank you sir! :cheers: :2thumbs:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline Jamie

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012 - 07:43:59 PM »
Awesome !!! I owned a charcoal 88 saleen#289 and a dark blue 89 saleen-number was in the 300`s . awesome little corner grabbers! and the most awesome seats ever! That white one looks menacining. My wife never understood my fascination with the saleen cars.

70 barracuda plum crazy
2011 silverado

Offline Da_Cuda

• OOoooo... Barracuda!
    • Backyard Turbo - PROVEN Performance!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012 - 08:42:26 PM »
Slightly OT but the new Shelby Stang is looking like it will be fierce! 650 hp and 203 mph top speed!! Not a bad looking car either.
73 'Cuda - Blue w/Black Vinyl Top
509" (4.42 Bore/4.15 Stroke), 11:1 CR, Indy SR Heads, Indy 440-2 Manifold, Comp XTQ286S, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Dual Valve Springs, Hedman Husler 2" Long Tube Headers, MSD Billet Distributor, MSD HVCII Coil, Firecore 50 Wires, Holley 850 Double Pumper (choke box machined off), Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump, Custom Return Style Fuel System, Mallory Rail and Regulator, Derale Fuel Cooler, G Force T56, Dana 60 w/4.10 Gears.

Art Morrison Ladder Bars, Sub-Frame Connectors, Custom Roll Cage, Boyd Coddington F-09 18" Wheels, QA1 Coilovers, Koni Adjustable Shocks, AAR Rear Spoiler, Hemi Duster Hood Scoop.