Author Topic: dashpad from Classic Industries  (Read 5325 times)

Offline tony 73

dashpad from Classic Industries
« on: January 31, 2012 - 05:01:43 AM »
Hi, I am thinking of ordering a new replacement dashpad from classic Industries. I live in NZ and to get my original pad remade would cost about $900 US. Classic Ind. advertise 74 challenger pads for $500 US.  Nobody on the NZ moparforum has ever ordered one. Anyone here in the US have any feedback to help me make my desision. Also need a black vinyl roof. CI do these as well, any feedback on these.
 Many thanks , tony. :nzflag:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: dashpad from Classic Industries
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012 - 07:37:05 AM »
My advice would be to order it from Dave at Roseville. He looks them over first before he ships them. Also I could be wrong but are the pads from classic using a plastic core? If so I've heard to stay away from them as they warp in the sun. Make sure you get a steel core! In your case I would suggest getting a core pad from someone in the USA and send it to Dave and buy one from him, with all the costs of shipping....it's not worth the headache/heartache? Maybe start a post on here " dash pad core wanted" ?  :2cents:

I got one from Dave last summer and was very happy with it. It wasen't "perfect" but as close as it's gonna get IMO?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012 - 07:39:18 AM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline tony 73

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012 - 05:43:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply Brad.  The reason I would buy from CI is that a friend is a NZ agent for them. Means shipping and import costs would be low as he will be buying parts in bulk. Would not be economical to get one form Roseville. Better off getting my one re vacuumed/covered here in NZ. I will ask my friend to check whether the CI ones have a plastic or steel core.

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012 - 08:21:32 PM »
those are on plastic frames. i know who they get them from. you get what you pay for, IMO
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline tony 73

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012 - 03:20:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply mopardave. I will definitly steer clear of those plastic frame pads. Will get mine remade. A friend had his done for his 70 and it looks great. Oh to live in the US , would be so much easier to build my challenger. PS great collection of cars you have Dave.

Offline Final Challenge

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012 - 11:07:58 AM »
I  have been doing homework on what to do about a dashpad.

The cost of restoring an e-body will never allow you to recoup  half of your money in todays market.

With that said I have chosen to restore the sheetmetal and structural, and refurbish the rest.

It costs about $1,000 for a restored pad when you include shipping and other costs may make the cost significantly higher for others. 

The Classic Industries dashpad looks like a viable alternative.  Dave at Roseville (who I respect), says it is plastic framed.  Classic Industries says that it has a steel frame with additional steel in the critical areas (to paraphrase their description).

An acquaintance of mine installed an early version of the pad last summer; on the first 90 degree F day with the windows closed and a sunny day the pad warped in 3 places.

Year One wants $900 plus for the likely same sourced item.

The Classic Industries piece has a 90 day warranty, so that disqualifies my money going to them.

Just Dashes has a lifetime warranty?  They show how their refurbished dash is created in various you tube clips.

For  similar money I think I can get the dash covered in leather.  That doesn't bother me because my car is somewhat a custom.

I was at  the W.P.C. show outside Detroit on Sunday and bought a clean and cracked 3 speaker a/c dash for $50 when it was time to leave.  It seems like no one is interested in
buying these cores at the moment. I may just put a cap on it for the time being if I catch a deal on one.

What do others think about the choices available today?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012 - 12:03:09 AM by Final Challenge »

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012 - 12:36:50 PM »
I have kind of a related question. What determined if you had a 1 speaker or 3 speaker dash?
1971 Hemi Cuda

2005 SRT-10 Regular Cab Flame Red.   12.771 @ 109.67 <-----Time Slip --Video
Mopar: Headers, Exhaust, Ram Air, ECM

2008 3500 Mega Cab Dually, Resistal Edition

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012 - 12:43:26 PM »
Especially in the current market I wouldn't worry about recouping investments unless you're starting with something really rare or special.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012 - 12:45:45 PM »
The radio  determined how many speakers I believe.  Stereo radio options (FM, not sure where 8 track/cassette fall) had the 3 speakers.  Mono options (AM...R11 code I believe) had a single speaker.

The optional rear speaker(s) were determined along the same lines...2 rears with stereo, 1 with mono.  I can't remember if the rear speaker fader option is listed on the fender tag or only on the build sheet.

It was possible to have:
1 = 1 front = AM
2 = 1 front + 1 rear = AM with rear speaker fader
3 = 3 front = Stereo
5 = 3 front + 2 rear = Stereo with rear speaker fader

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012 - 12:56:17 PM »
That is kinda what I thought. I have a good 1 speaker dash but putting in a AM/FM radio so technicaly I should have a 3 speaker dash. Has anyone ever just cut in the other two speakers into a 1 speaker dash? Would have to get grills I know.
1971 Hemi Cuda

2005 SRT-10 Regular Cab Flame Red.   12.771 @ 109.67 <-----Time Slip --Video
Mopar: Headers, Exhaust, Ram Air, ECM

2008 3500 Mega Cab Dually, Resistal Edition

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012 - 01:06:18 PM »
I converted to AM/FM, but I left the dash alone.  I have 1 front and 2 rear.  The wires for the other 2 fronts just go nowhere.  You could also make some brackets and point the speakers down instead of up.  The sound probably wouldn't be as good...but it would save cutting up a dash.

If you're using an E body radio you'll need to swap out the harness you have for the correct one...and I believe you'll need a crossover box as well.

This may help (may need to be logged into moparts to see it):

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012 - 03:53:21 PM »
Those 2 pads were their last year and i was going to buy them as cores but we were slammed busy all day,

we do have new pads on OE steel frames in all variations.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline Final Challenge

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012 - 12:11:23 AM »
That is kinda what I thought. I have a good 1 speaker dash but putting in a AM/FM radio so technicaly I should have a 3 speaker dash. Has anyone ever just cut in the other two speakers into a 1 speaker dash? Would have to get grills I know.

I have read of several people who have modified their single speaker dash into a 3 speaker one. They carefully cut out the hole in the steel, trim the foam and vinyl. Then finish the rough edge with a dremel and stone.

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012 - 03:57:19 AM »
If you have a one speaker dash and want a three speaker dash.   Just send it to Dave and have it recovered to be a three speaker dash.   The core frame is the same and the price is the same.

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline highberg

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012 - 07:42:28 AM »
I just put a dual voice single front speaker in mine. Works great. There is also a 4 x 10 speaker plate that has provisions for 2 3.5 speakers in the single speaker location. Problem that I found with the outside speaker holes was not much room on the dash frame underneath for much of a speaker. You also do the new kickpads that have speakers built in. 
Classic Restorations

1973 Cuda 496 Stroker NOS
1971 440+6 4 Speed Roadrunner
1961 Shortbox Fleetside D100
1970 Dodge Dude 383 Auto
2009 SRT8 Challenger 6 Speed