Author Topic: Rallye Lens Scratch Removal - Novus Meguiars Mothers 3M Any of them work?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline cuda346pk

I have my cluster out rebuilding the tach and clock so while I am waiting on a few parts I would like to try and polish the fine scratches in the lens. They are all circular marks from previous cleanings it looks like. Anyone tried any of these or others with success? I sure would hate to scratch it worse. Lens is in good shape otherwise, not yellowed at all.
Got my clock working with a quartz kit from premium dash decals/Mr Heaterbox out of Canada. So far great to deal with. I got a new tach board from them and we had trouble figuring out which style I needed to use - OEM or MSD style - as my Alison/Crane ignition system is weird. I am having to send him the tach as after installing the OEM style kit he decided on after looking at the Crane manual it still is not working. He is going to go through and verify the rest of my tach is good and we will see from there.
Also got some sewing machine oil to try and lube the speedo up as I can hear it grumbling when car is idling and I am coasting along, has a new cable and needle is steady just sounds like bearing/gear noise.
David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Rallye Lens Scratch Removal - Novus Meguiars Mothers 3M Any of them work?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012 - 09:00:05 AM »
I have used Novus #2 for decades with good results. One key is to use soft/not scratching cloth microfiber seems to work well, no paper towels. Do not use a high speed buffer, I usually just rub by hand.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline packnsix

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012 - 10:46:57 AM »
I have used Novus #2 for decades with good results. One key is to use soft/not scratching cloth microfiber seems to work well, no paper towels. Do not use a high speed buffer, I usually just rub by hand.

I agree...I have had good results with Novus. I cleaned the lens and then started with Novus #3 for large scratches and then worked my way down to to Novus #2 for the fine scratches. I have even used Novus #2 on my Challenger dash pad to bring back its shine.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012 - 03:07:31 PM by packnsix »

Offline highberg

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012 - 07:44:28 AM »
There are inexpensive replacements for these that solves the problem. I used this on my 71 roadrunner lens since I couldn't get a replacement and it worked ok but isn't perfect by any means.
Classic Restorations

1973 Cuda 496 Stroker NOS
1971 440+6 4 Speed Roadrunner
1961 Shortbox Fleetside D100
1970 Dodge Dude 383 Auto
2009 SRT8 Challenger 6 Speed

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012 - 08:03:37 AM »
I've used Mothers plastic polish for my plastic driving light lenses on Linc Mark VIII with great results so one vote for that stuff.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)