Author Topic: Sitting uncovered & wasting away in SF  (Read 11291 times)

Offline Stroked408

Re: Sitting uncovered & wasting away in SF
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012 - 12:06:32 AM »
Yes, lurking for a while, just decided to join. Contrary to what someone mentioned, this is not my car. Just thought someone out there may know about it and it's history. Late last year I was driving through SF again, and saw a 71 Barracuda (318, auto/console, ralley pack dash, 55,000 original miles) deep inside a garage. Almost got the chance to buy it but the real estate company was difficult about putting me in contact with owners family (older person passed away). Spoke with the person who eventually got a hold of it, for $5000. Sold on Ebay for $17,000 + weeks later.

They're still out there.

Offline _Russ_

• Not very family friendly!
  • Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012 - 12:16:04 AM »
Yes, lurking for a while, just decided to join. Contrary to what someone mentioned, this is not my car.

That was me. Just being cheeky. Nothing meant by it  :angelwings:

Interesting car though. Maybe someone in the general area could swing by and drop some contact details under the wiper? Try and get some info.

Offline D70challenger

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012 - 04:46:24 AM »
Wow that sucks. I wish i was up there. What part of SF is it in? My friend is in SF Med School and maybe can look into it as well.

1970 Dodge Challenger
2005 Ford Mustang

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012 - 11:45:43 AM »
Looks like a pretty solid car . . sad.   :walkaway:

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012 - 01:54:50 PM »
Well at first you think it's a shame and it is. But not as bad as other ones we all have seen, at least it doesn't get much rain or is parked in grass or stuck in mud. I'm sure somehow it will end up sold to someone that will do it justice.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012 - 01:56:27 PM by TorOrange »
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012 - 02:46:06 PM »
I wonder what the story is.   :dunno:

I love that color combo.   

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline kissalien

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012 - 05:05:56 PM »
The car has been posted online before. I still don't have a VIN info on it though. If you go back take a VIN picture, or at least get the VIN number. Not get yourself killed though.

Offline kissalien

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012 - 05:09:30 PM »
A66 did get call-outs though didn't they? 340 Four Barrel. I think some may have gotten decals though, and not badge/emblems. Could explain the lack of apparent holes.

This is correct. Some early cars got decals. I've also seen early cars without rear decklid emblems, which this car seems to be missing.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012 - 08:13:06 PM »
Im guessing the car has been modified.  Passenger door mirror doesnt look like e body? Antenna has been changed, tinted dark windows. I get the feeling white paint isnt original either.  Car makes good for conversation tho doesn't it?

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012 - 05:41:43 AM »
 :iagree: looking for updates :popcorn:
Maybe more of you guys can post pictures of cars that are local and we can all speculate at what is and what might be ? :clapping: :grinyes:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline sadil340

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012 - 09:14:39 AM »
 :popcorn:
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012 - 01:50:25 PM »
:iagree: looking for updates :popcorn:
Maybe more of you guys can post pictures of cars that are local and we can all speculate at what is and what might be ? :clapping: :grinyes:

There's a GREAT idea :thumbsup:

Also, if you see a car that your interested in and cant find the owner, I've found 4 simple ways that may put you on to an owner if it has license plates on it, Current tags or not.

Free ones first  Stop any cop and tell them you're about to buy a car and something with the seller seems strange. Ask if they would please run the plate to make sure it isn't HOT. Cop isn't going to give you the info on the owner..... But you will probably hear it when it comes back over the radio. Worked for me several times.  :misbehaving:

2. For a car at a house. The tax assessors web site will tell you who owns the house. But why not just knock on the door?

3. Any process server or skip tracer has access to his states data base. If you know or have access to one they can run the plate. Cost here is $5.00

4. Any private Investigator will be able to run the plate and give you the info for a fee and most times a phone call and a credit card is all it takes. It's surprisingly inexpensive and a few more $$ will get you more info on the owner than you ever wanted.

Happy Motoring
I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline Stroked408

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012 - 12:07:20 AM »
Here's an update to all those waiting, wanting more information...

Drove by this afternoon, just happened to talk to an older Asian gentleman who was leaving in his car, in the carport, next to the Challenger. He said people have left notes on the car for years. He doesn't know who it belongs to, but possibly the apartment manager. The mailboxes won't allow you to put anything into them, only a large mail slot for the front entrance. An older guy walking down the street said he's seen this car sitting for years. The tags on the license plate, for the year, most have been scratched off, 2000 something is the last I see. It's an original blue plate with yellow letters/numbers, correct for that year.

While it looks like a two tone paint job from a distance, it's just years of dirt. The hood is chained down. The dash has a towel over it so you can't see the VIN number. The interior is red, saw a Rear Speaker control knob. Automatic, console shift, seats and headliner are in really good shape.

It's like I mentioned before, whoever owns this car really isn't concerned with it's value and the offers being thrown at it, it's just a car they own or someone in their family must own and it's not going anywhere. There is another early 70's Ford Torino in the same condition sitting 5 rows down from it. I would guess it's theirs as well. Most if not all apartment complex rules wouldn't allow care like this sitting for years. It has to be the owner of the complex. I see a 71-72 Charger in the back of the complex as well.

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012 - 01:10:10 AM »
Damm that interior is clean surprised nothing has been stolen from it.

Are you going to try and find the owner or not interested?

Btw forgot to get the vin I take it?
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline Stroked408

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012 - 01:15:37 AM »
I mentioned in my last post, there is a towel on the dash and it's covering the VIN plate. If, BIG IF, I ever get of hold of the owner, it most likely won't make a difference. I'll try with the license plate first and go from there.