Author Topic: Types of LSD  (Read 1546 times)

Offline boxfox

Types of LSD
« on: February 04, 2012 - 02:36:36 PM »
Alright guys, I have been trying to come to a conclusion between choosing a helical or a clutch type LSD. I've googled and emailed eaton to which they don't reply.
And I'm just trying to get a good list of the pros and cons of a helical vs a clutch LSD. From what I understand eaton is a good way to go but I'm open to suggestions.
I hear the helical is great for lasting longer, and road racing, but is it good for drag racing?
The primary use for my car will be street driving, might dukes of hazzard some back gravel roads, I'll go to the drag strip for some fun every now and then. I hope to stiffen up the chassis and do some autocross one day.
I understand that the helical will act as open if one wheel is lifted but applying the breaks fixes that and the same will happen in snow possibly, but the car won't be seeing snow.
Is there going to be any difference from Eatons clutch diff to our old sure-grips?
What behaviors can I expect to see out of either type of LSD?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Types of LSD
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012 - 03:21:44 PM »
Either will work well for you , the clutch type stays locked & unlocks with force from the tires , the torsion is just a gear pitch angle that creates a similar effect but is not locked in the corners , the gear angle allows easy speed differential with input from the tires but locks under power from the driveshaft , my preference would be the Tru Trac even for drag strip use & especially for street use.

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012 - 11:23:47 AM »
I think this is a complicated subject without a single answer for the most part.

I think the Eaton clutch type is probably better on the strip by a slight margin and the TruTrac is better for all around driving and particularly on the street.

I had an Auburn of the original type and it was very notchy feeling going around corners on the street.  It wore out in a few years and was putting power to only one tire-just like an open rear end.  This was not the Pro version that came a bit later.  If I recall correctly, the Pro was initially said to be rebuildable if you sent it back to them and paid a fee.  Now it seems to be guaranteed for a year and then they will rebuild it for a fee for three more years...or something like that.

I replaced the Auburn with an Eaton  clutch type with stronger springs, and it is not obvious going around corners like the Auburn so I much prefer it.

Today, I would probably take a long look at the TruTrac because 99% would be on the street and most reports say it is great for that and works well in the straight line launches as well.

I have not seen one of the modern Detroit Lockers so I cannot comment on them, but I remember the old ones :D

Offline boxfox

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012 - 02:25:24 PM »
Yeah I understand there is no real good answer for this, I was mostly hoping for some feedback of some people who have the Eaton Truetrac or just different input on the differentials.
Thanks for the input so far, but if anyone else out there has the Truetrac I'd love to hear your opinions of it.

Offline 73_Challenger

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012 - 12:45:06 AM »
I'm running a Locker and love it, a lot cheaper, super easy install, just pull the spider gears and the locker goes in, its the 8.75 lockright. Theres no clutches to wear out, its either locked or not. only 2 downsides i've found, a little noisy turning, click click click, people at carshows think I got some lug nuts loose when I turn in parking lots .   The other is high speed cornering, if your in a corner and get on it feels a little funny, but normal to me now.  :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I don't know how many people run these, I almost think there more for offroad trucks, but I've got  almost 20k on mine now in like 6 years no problems yet, running somewear around 450hp with an auto  and works great
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012 - 12:49:19 AM by 73_Challenger »