Author Topic: Dash and interior work  (Read 4569 times)

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Dash and interior work
« on: February 04, 2012 - 04:07:17 PM »
So now that I have the hardtop up and running  . . this winter I decided to try to improve the quality of the interior.  Lucky for me ... it is in pretty good shape to start with.  My goals are to make sure everything works, all the lights are bright, and the dash is presentable.  I have already aquired some new carpet and I had sound deadner so that will also be in the works.  First thing was to start on the dash cluster and controls.  So I started with some of the trim that is cracked in the typical spots around the screws that attach them.  I have already found nice ones a few years ago for replacements.  I also pulled off the heater control to try to improve that.  Now some questions . . . .

The switch cluster wood grain has seperated from the dash and I need to reglue it.  What kind of glue or epoxy should I use?

I would like to try to polish the wood coating and I wonder what everyone else has used?  I don't assume it is pledge? 

I took off the light bar and polished the window for the dash lights.  I also bought new bulbs so that I get alot of light on the dash at night.  I then touched up the heater control as the pictures show.  That made a huge difference in that area of the dash.  Here are some pictures of what I'm working with . .  :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012 - 04:13:10 PM by 4Cruizn »

Offline spamtank

Re: Dash and interior work
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012 - 05:25:47 PM »
That's gonna be sweet when you are done.  Wish I had the manual transmission in mine.  I love the pistol grip shifter.

Does your clock work?  I rebuilt mine with a kit from Dash-worx : http://rt-eng.com/dash-worx/index.php/Dash-Worx_E_Body_Clock_kit.  While you have your gauge cluster apart, now is the time to fix it.  Only down side is that it doesn't tick-tock now, since it's a quartz movement.  But most folks won't notice.  I would like to rebuild the original movement some day.  The contacts were badly pitted from years of ticking away.
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012 - 06:26:51 PM »
Dave, nice work on the switch lettering...silver sharpie?   :2thumbs:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline 74challenger03

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012 - 07:45:29 PM »
nice work did you pull the light bar apart to polish the dash light bezels
What does it profit a man to gain the whole would and lose his soul.

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012 - 11:59:47 PM »
The silicone tire spray in a can ("No Touch" is one) does a nice job on the wood.  Just spray some on a clean cloth and wipe it around the wood and then wipe off the excess with a another cloth.  Also recommend using a polish with a wax like Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax to do the clear lens. The wax helps knock down the static cling that attracts dust.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012 - 12:02:01 AM by FY1Cuda »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012 - 02:00:30 AM »
The silicone tire spray in a can ("No Touch" is one) does a nice job on the wood.  Just spray some on a clean cloth and wipe it around the wood and then wipe off the excess with a another cloth.  Also recommend using a polish with a wax like Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax to do the clear lens. The wax helps knock down the static cling that attracts dust.

Good info!! 

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012 - 09:56:46 AM »
I used Gorrilla Glue to attach the wood grain to the metal backing.  Just make sure not to get it too close to the edges because it expands a lot as it dries.  You will come back to it the next day and see dried glue around the edges.

Your heater control bezel looks like it had a heavy texture originally...so did mine.  Some cars had a finer texture.  VHT Wrinkle paint was a perfect match to the original texture on mine.  For cars with a finer texture, I've heard "sand" finish is very close.  I sprayed SEM Trim Black in the center rectangle where the letters are before spraying the texture paint around the outside.  I used a white paint pen from a craft store to do the letters and cheap chrome paint for the rectangle border.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012 - 12:47:06 PM »
I used Gorrilla Glue to attach the wood grain to the metal backing.  Just make sure not to get it too close to the edges because it expands a lot as it dries.  You will come back to it the next day and see dried glue around the edges.

Your heater control bezel looks like it had a heavy texture originally...so did mine.  Some cars had a finer texture.  VHT Wrinkle paint was a perfect match to the original texture on mine.  For cars with a finer texture, I've heard "sand" finish is very close.  I sprayed SEM Trim Black in the center rectangle where the letters are before spraying the texture paint around the outside.  I used a white paint pen from a craft store to do the letters and cheap chrome paint for the rectangle border.

Thanks for that info.  I've seen Gorrilla glue at Home Depot.  I used a silver paint pen on the bezel  . . you can buy one at most office supply stores.  Worked great!  I will look into wrinkle paint stuff . . would like to touch up the texture but not sure yet . . .

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012 - 01:42:40 PM »
I will look into wrinkle paint stuff . . would like to touch up the texture but not sure yet . . .

Stripping off the old texture is a job, dude. But it's soooo worth it when you're done.
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012 - 08:20:56 PM »
Dave if u haven't glued the woodgrain to the dash yet. get a small bottle of DAP weldwood Contact Cement. at Lowe's
Use a microcloth when u polish plastic lens. Not a buffer.
Do not use an abrasive polish.  I used Black Magic Polish wax.
warning damage to the instruments can result uf the cluster is partially removed before disconnecting the battery,.
The instrument panel must be properly grounded to avoid damage, no insulation materials between cluster to eliminate
squeaks could result in burnouts or calibration damage.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012 - 08:26:20 PM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012 - 08:27:55 PM »
Sweet!  Good info!   :bigsmile:  what to use on the woodgrain decal?   :clueless:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012 - 08:34:10 PM by 4Cruizn »

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012 - 11:45:09 PM »
Sweet!  Good info!   :bigsmile:  what to use on the woodgrain decal?   :clueless:

I used the Black Magic Polish wax.  Made it shiny. Should have let it alone.
Also when u glue the woodgrain panel to the base use spring cloth pins for clamps, do not use tape.
Will pull paint grain. Avoided a disaster.
To remove the woodgrain from base. there are twisted tabs on back of black panel it is attached. after removing it from the panel.
I used a butter knife ( flat object) to remove the woodgrain frin the base to reglue it,
I used paint thinner to remove the old wrinkle paint, won't harm the plastic.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012 - 12:08:19 AM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda

" I Want to Ride "

it was the most boring

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012 - 07:59:56 AM »
Just because one area of the woodgrain popped loose, doesn't mean the entire panel lost its bond.  If the woodgrain doesn't just pop off, I'd leave it on.  It's very thin aluminum and bends easy.  Just rebond the section that is loose.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012 - 10:13:41 PM »

:iagree:

That is exactly what i did. U won't separate it where it is secure.
Didn't want to damage it,..
Didn't clean the old glue either,
Just applied the Contact cement to the old glue where i could get to it.
It is almost exact as original cement.
Used spring cloth pins to clamp till dried.
Don't use any tape on woodgrain it will pull it off,
Near disaster when I taped the template to paint the brown circles.
1970 AAR Cuda

" I Want to Ride "

it was the most boring