Author Topic: Year One head pipes?? Any feedback?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Super-G

Year One head pipes?? Any feedback?
« on: February 04, 2012 - 07:41:46 PM »
OK so I've been doing my engine over this winter. I removed the beat up old crusty headers that were on the car and went back to a set of factory HP manifolds. I see that Year One sells 2-1/2" head pipes for the 440 6 pack Challengers and I was wondering if anyone has used these?

I'm thinking that it will be easier to buy these, bolt them up along with a set of mufflers and then take the car to an exhaust shop to have a set of tailpipes made up. Otherwise I have to rent a trailer to get the car to a muffler shop as right now it has no exhaust from the manifolds back.

I'm just wondering if there are any fitment problems or if anyone has any feedback?
Greg

73 Challenger 440 6 pack, 4 speed, 8-3/4 rear w/4:10's.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Year One head pipes?? Any feedback?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012 - 09:42:29 PM »
I bought a set for my ebody 440-6. they fit like a glove. But make sure the 1 manifold is e body. If you look at the Y1 site, it shows the flange on a b body has a different twist to it in. 

Offline Super-G

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012 - 10:12:52 PM »
I bought a set for my ebody 440-6. they fit like a glove. But make sure the 1 manifold is e body. If you look at the Y1 site, it shows the flange on a b body has a different twist to it in.

OK so now I am definitely confused. When I bought the exhaust manifolds, the numbers had them as a 68/69 B body and I was told on this site and another Mopar site that they were the same as the E body manifolds.

So if my manifolds are for a B body car the Y1 head pipes won't fit right??
Greg

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012 - 11:22:18 PM »
1 will and 1 won't   the y1 book gives the manifold numbers.  I will look them up tomorrow if I remember. 69 isnt the same as 70 on 1 side.  Pretty sure drivers side is 70 pass doesnt matter. It can be made to fit, but the gasket flange clock is different

Offline Super-G

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012 - 07:29:28 AM »
1 will and 1 won't   the y1 book gives the manifold numbers.  I will look them up tomorrow if I remember. 69 isnt the same as 70 on 1 side.  Pretty sure drivers side is 70 pass doesnt matter. It can be made to fit, but the gasket flange clock is different

Cool thanks, I still have the numbers off of my manifolds. Here's what's on my car now:  left # 2843992, right # 2806900. When I asked about fitment, nobody said anything about the head pipes not fitting.

I'm sure a muffler shop could custom bend apipe the right way, I was just thinking it might be easier to bolt up the Y1 head pipes myself and then hang a set of mufflers so I could get the car running.
Greg