Author Topic: Trunk lids, what does yours look like  (Read 10062 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Trunk lids, what does yours look like
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014 - 06:23:25 PM »
Interesting.  Mine I don't think was painted under the trunk and the latch is painted.  :clueless:  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014 - 06:48:42 PM »
I believe dodj is correct in that there were no factory options for a wing or spoiler of any sort for '72-'74.  :grinyes:

Ok. I finally took some pics.  This is the original trunk lid for this car.   As you can see, it has the 4 recessed holes for the Go-Wing installation (and the holes to mount the brackets to secure the wing) and also the 4 holes for a T/A spoiler.  Also had the rectangular hole assumeably for the trunk light option. 

My is a '72 Challenger Rallye, scheduled build date 8/17 1971.  Don't know if it being an early car made any difference as I may have gotten a '71 trunk lid from the factory, I dunno.  I do have a '70-'71 style Rallye gauge panel that is factory installed in my '72 so who knows...  :dunno:

Hey!  :thinkerg:  You have a trunk lid from the 71 T/A Challenger! Barret Jackson here ya come! Now you can retire with a fleet of cool Mopars!  :lol:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014 - 11:08:47 AM »
 :woohoo: I knew that car was special!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO_HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  :woohoo:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014 - 11:19:59 AM »
Hey "Super"...I think I asked you this before but your car also has the 71 style vapor tube in the trunk too right?  That's also an early 72 thing.

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014 - 11:50:35 AM »
Here's my trunk lid.  Early build 70 Challenger from the LA plant.  The latch was installed and painted.

- Jerry

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014 - 06:22:07 PM »
Here's my trunk lid.  Early build 70 Challenger from the LA plant.  The latch was installed and painted.

Interesting, the two in question with the un painted latch are Hamtramck cars.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014 - 03:15:13 PM »
Hey "Super"...I think I asked you this before but your car also has the 71 style vapor tube in the trunk too right?  That's also an early 72 thing.

Hmmmm.....I dunno.  I forget what it looks like when I changed my tank....  :clueless:

Could you refresh my memory, what is the 71 style vapor tube in the trunk?  :clueless:

Offline Colorado-0A5599

• Mopar or no car!
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014 - 07:56:23 PM »
I believe dodj is correct in that there were no factory options for a wing or spoiler of any sort for '72-'74.  :grinyes:

Ok. I finally took some pics.  This is the original trunk lid for this car.   As you can see, it has the 4 recessed holes for the Go-Wing installation (and the holes to mount the brackets to secure the wing) and also the 4 holes for a T/A spoiler.  Also had the rectangular hole assumeably for the trunk light option. 

My is a '72 Challenger Rallye, scheduled build date 8/17 1971.  Don't know if it being an early car made any difference as I may have gotten a '71 trunk lid from the factory, I dunno.  I do have a '70-'71 style Rallye gauge panel that is factory installed in my '72 so who knows...  :dunno:

Believe Chrysler used what was available or in access in most cases. I have JH23G0Bxxxxxx 1970 Challenger and the trunk has all holes Wing, Rack, Spoiler and light.. and came on this car.
Build: --- June 1970 Late---
 Later 1970-71= luggage rack, go-wing and T/A holes
My wife ?   O.K.
My dog ?    Maybe
My Dodge? NEVER!!!

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014 - 11:14:38 PM »
Believe Chrysler used what was available or in access in most cases. I have JH23G0Bxxxxxx 1970 Challenger and the trunk has all holes Wing, Rack, Spoiler and light.. and came on this car.
Build: --- June 1970 Late---
 Later 1970-71= luggage rack, go-wing and T/A holes

Because your car was built after the T/A was put into production you got a T/A trunk lid.

Offline footin70rt

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014 - 01:31:37 AM »
Interesting, the two in question with the un painted latch are Hamtramck cars.

Mine is a early '70 Hamtramck build with an unpainted latch and none of the extra holes for a gull wing or T/A spoiler.
Thomas
Driving the same 70 R/T since October 1985
Native of Bozeman, MT

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014 - 09:44:12 AM »
First time I've ever seen an "un-painted" latch striker :clueless:  Wonder if possibly your deck lid was replaced very early on in life, maybe even at the factory ?
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014 - 12:08:36 AM »
First time I've ever seen an "un-painted" latch striker :clueless:  Wonder if possibly your deck lid was replaced very early on in life, maybe even at the factory ?

So far this counts 3 unpainted latch strikers all from early 70 hamtramck cars.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014 - 12:38:28 AM »
My '72 Challenger lid has all of the holes for a T/A spoiler and go-wing, as well as the light and rack. But, that's not all that surprising since it was probably going down the assembly line at the same time as Super Blue's, as it has the same 8/17/71 build date.

As Super Blue already knows, my car also has '71 style door glass and a '71 style fuel tank (with the vapor tube) as well. My car isn't exactly a survivor, so it may have had other '71 model years items when it rolled off the line.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014 - 10:41:13 AM »
Could you refresh my memory, what is the 71 style vapor tube in the trunk?

The big tube in the trunk on the PS.  It comes up through the floor right behind the wheel well.  That was a 71 feature that carried over to very early 72's before the factory went to the vapor separator underneath.(in front of the gas tank)

I've seen it a few times.  I think there is a plum crazy 70 Challenger survivor car at RK Motors with an unpainted striker.(might have sold by now)  There was probably some problem with the striker at the factory.  The car was moved in to paint and the issue was fixed later.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014 - 12:20:54 PM »
Personally I haven't dealt with a lot of 70's, mostly 71's and up.....Maybe an unpainted latch striker is more common on 70's ?

Learn sumtin everyday :icon16:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com