Author Topic: Took my first Mountain Lion with a bow today  (Read 10081 times)

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Took my first Mountain Lion with a bow today
« on: February 08, 2012 - 12:14:21 AM »
Just thought I would share with my friends here.
I spot and stalked her for about 3 miles.
Got to 17 yards and gave here a lung shot with my PSE Bow Madness.
She was on the ground.
I hunt with no dogs for tracking.
No gun on my side for protection. 
Just keep a healthy knife by my side.
So, she treed herself, I had to get up there and get her out.
When I grabbed ahold of her to drop her out of the tree she was still alive and growled at me! While I held her!
Needless to say, I flew like superman out of that tree!
Most exciting thing I have ever done.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012 - 12:40:54 AM by 'Cuda Hunter »
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
Re: Took my first Mountain Lion with a bow today
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012 - 01:49:46 AM »
First off, congratulations. I have wanted to hunt cougar for a while now.

Secondly hunting with or without dogs is great. I myself have never used dogs, but I also have never hunted anything that I would need a dog for.

Third You don't carry a sidearm when hunting cougar? Are you freaking nuts lol. I carry a sidearm no matter what I am hunting, because you just never know. I am remembered of my father in laws story of when he was on a mountain trail near a ravine up pretty high. He was trying to skirt around a valley to get a look at some deer, and he had a cougar jump down right in front of him. (he didn't have a sidearm, just a knife which will do in a pinch) He stared at the mountain lion and the mountain lion stared at him. He was trying to figure out if he would be able to get his .30-06 up in time to put a shot into it before it hit him, when it walked off lol.
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline Gumby

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012 - 02:34:44 AM »
Got my third or fourth deer last night with my Locomotive. I'd rather kill them that way instead of them jumping out in front of a car! lol. Nothing beats the thrill and adrenilen rush of killing a human, though. When that guy ran out in front of us, it REALLY got my heart rate up! I hit a dog once, was sniffing something in the middle of the rail. never knew what hit him. I find I'd rather hit humans. Animals aren't as smart - they don't know any better. I feel horrible after hitting an animal. i could care less about the human that want's to put me through that grief. Your a big boy now. wow. Impressive. You should only kill something if you intend to eat it. So what's it taste like?
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012 - 02:51:40 AM »
Actually it does not taste that bad, My Stepdad got one a about 10 yrs ago , and the meat isn,t that bad if yah know how to cook it.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012 - 02:57:41 AM »
P.S. I do not know his recipe or procedures he will not give em out' I just know he can take the gamey right out of the meat no-matter what it is. I am going to wait until he gets a little older and torture it out of him before he goes.!!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012 - 04:59:28 AM »
Josh,
That's awesome and CRAZY. Nice trophy!!  :2thumbs: Sounds as bold as the guys in Texas that hunt wild boar with bowie knives and dogs. I don't think I have the cahoonies to hunt cougar with a bow. I'll stick to bambi and a shotgun!!  :smilielol:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Gumby

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012 - 05:43:45 AM »
EEEK! I'm drunk. please disregard! Sorry.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012 - 05:55:48 AM »
Congrats, way cool. I used to know a guy who hunted bear with a spear  :eek7:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012 - 07:04:29 AM »
cool :droolingbounce:

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012 - 07:07:12 AM »
That is so awesome!!! I've wanted to shoot a cougar for a long time. I heard they are actually very tasty. One day I will get one, maybe in west Texas.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012 - 08:14:58 AM »
Josh, that is wicked awesome dude.  :2thumbs:  Though I prefer shooting OUT of the tree
at the game. Bwaha
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012 - 08:15:48 AM »
Woah!!!  You're going to have to change your name to Mountain Lion Hunter!  Man, I wouldn't have the balls to go out there without some sort of protection or dog!  Great picture too!

Got my third or fourth deer last night with my Locomotive. I'd rather kill them that way instead of them jumping out in front of a car! lol. Nothing beats the thrill and adrenilen rush of killing a human, though. When that guy ran out in front of us, it REALLY got my heart rate up! I hit a dog once, was sniffing something in the middle of the rail. never knew what hit him. I find I'd rather hit humans. Animals aren't as smart - they don't know any better. I feel horrible after hitting an animal. i could care less about the human that want's to put me through that grief. Your a big boy now. wow. Impressive. You should only kill something if you intend to eat it. So what's it taste like?

EEEK! I'm drunk. please disregard! Sorry.

WTF!!!  I'm laughing my a$$ off with tears coming out of my eyes still!!!!!  Gumby, you're funny!!!  :crazy:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012 - 08:56:28 AM »
LOL!~  :clueless: Now if we can get a big pile of coke and set it out on the tracks maybe we can lure a few Politicians out onto those tracks. :drunk:

Offline cudabeforeIdie

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012 - 09:33:24 AM »
Third You don't carry a sidearm when hunting cougar? Are you freaking nuts lol. I carry a sidearm no matter what I am hunting..

I carry a sidearm when I go out for milk....

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012 - 09:39:24 AM »
First off, I will eat anything that I kill.
I am from Louisiana and down there in the back woods they teach ya to eat anything and everything.
Historical mountain man accounts from the rockies have shown that the MM actually preffered Lion over any other meat.

Secondly, I carry a big knife.
With a gun, my smell is far more detectable. 
Without a gun, I have to play my cards much more smart.

Besides, I am an adrenaline junkie. 
I feel a gun takes away some of that adrenaline.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee