Author Topic: Drive shaft removal difficulty  (Read 2332 times)

Offline 1970R/T

Drive shaft removal difficulty
« on: February 08, 2012 - 12:29:45 PM »
I am preparing to pull the motor/trans on my challenger, and I have run into an unforeseen problem.  I removed the two brackets that keep the U joint connected to the diff, so it looks like the drive shaft should be able to just fall right out, or at least be wiggled/knocked out.  The problem is it is stuck, and from what I read it sounds like it should come right out.  I tried knocking it around with a mallet to try to loosen things up.  Are they fused together with rust or something? 

I apologize if there is a thread about this already, but I couldn't find one (noob).  Thanks!
1970 Challenger R/T - 440 Magnum

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Drive shaft removal difficulty
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012 - 12:47:44 PM »
You can use a rubber hammer on the cast end cap and give it a little tap.  Don't hit the shaft itself...it's pretty thin metal.  You can also use a prybar in between the driveshaft and the pinion yoke. It should pop loose.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012 - 12:51:17 PM »
You can use a rubber hammer on the cast end cap and give it a little tap.  Don't hit the shaft itself...it's pretty thin metal.  You can also use a prybar in between the driveshaft and the pinion yoke. It should pop loose.

^ This, do not hit the shaft itself with anything. It could be easily dented, which will lead to failure or unbalanced.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 1970R/T

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012 - 02:13:46 PM »
Thank you guys for your help!  One more detail; I should be able to do this with the drive shaft still connected to the transmission, which is still in place, correct?

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012 - 02:20:50 PM »
Yes, it will slide forward enough to remove. Remember to put a pan under the tailshaft to catch the oil...or one of those plastic plugs. Good luck :2thumbs:
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012 - 03:15:50 PM »
I suppose if the car has been sitting for a long time, the slip yoke could be siezed in the trans.  If it won't move forward, it would act like the U-joint cups were stuck to the pinion yoke. 

Offline 1970R/T

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012 - 05:28:03 PM »
Thanks again guys, I'm going to go home after work and try your suggestions.  Thanks for the heads-up on the drive shaft being fragile!  I'll let you know if I make any progress...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012 - 05:35:55 PM »
put a pry bar between the diff yolk & the U joint & pry it forward

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012 - 05:59:38 PM »
CP has it and you can use a brass drift and a BFH to "persuade" the U joint cap to come loose.  :2cents:

Offline 1970R/T

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012 - 07:34:19 PM »
Success!  Thanks again everyone, your advice was perfect.  I was able to pry it apart after putting on some penetrating fluid.  Next, transmission...we'll see how that goes.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012 - 11:29:35 PM »
If this is your first time removing a trans, be warned, they're HEAVY, so be prepared with a jack and a stout buddy to help. Safety first! Good luck.  :thumbsup: